• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

horse gram

Hi Mongo,

Horse gram is used widely in Karnataka. It's called 'Kulitu' in Konkani (don't see how that's of any help to you, still..). I know they make a lot of stuff with it, but the only things I can think of right now is a 'kadi' and a dosa. This is how:

Kadi: Boil the horse gram, adding some 1" pieces of raw mango halfway through and cook until the mango is quite soft. Grind some of the cooked horsegram and use it to thicken the kadi, it should not be as watery as rasam, nor as thick as maa ki daal. Baghaar with crushed garlic and broken dried red chillies.

Dosa: I'll have to dig out the recipe for this - I love it when my Amma makes it, but for some reason mine doesn't come out half as well. And really, you have to eat it well-made, otherwise it's just one of those what's-the-point-of-this kind of things.

For those who haven't seen horsegram, I'll check if I have a photo somewhere.

BTW, Mongo, did you get my PM? Just wondering if it got lost somewhere in cyberspace.

Suman

I use horse gram in all recipes where I would use moong.

The first dishes that appear to my mind when I think of horse gram are usal and missal.

In the monsoons (read when it rains - which is all the time in Brussels), I always make mixed sprouts and horse gram is almost always in the mixture.

Edited by bague25 (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mongo and everyone else!

Horsegram is a winter staple in Garhwal. Called Gehat it is predominantly made into soup. The cooked daal is strained out to stuff paranthas (the cooked dadl retains its form and gives the filling a great texture even after cooking) the cooking liquid is served as a soup.

The paranthas come steaming hot to the table and my husband and his family will make a hole in the top and drop in a big ball of ghee or white butter (shudder). They somethimes eat it with a bit of Hing ka achar. the copious amounts of fat that it drenched in use to give me hives but after i tried it I have to agree it was really good on those cold winter days.

I will check if I have posted the recipes for the gehat/kulith soup and the paranthas in my thread on pahari food If not I will PM it to you. If anyone else wants it let me know.

Gehat is also combined with Tor (pidgeon pea) to make a daal. Tor is another winter staple. THis is eaten with rice. Gehat also goes into the combo of winter dals that make the KUmaoni Ras.

Rushina

it's called "koLLu" in tamil; supposed to be very high fibre and nutritious

etc. but considered peasant food, as much horse fodder as human food,

hence the name (or so i'm told).

i learnt this one over the holidays:

1. 2 cups kollu, pressure cooked long and hard until soft, with salt and haldi.

takes a while.

2. season with:

onions, green chillies, tomatoes: ground up together,

and fried in oil with jeera and curry leaves tarka.

use generous quantities of these seasonings.

3. garnish with a dollop of ghee, not too much.

eat with rice, rotis, whatever.

supposed to be a tirunelveli rural specialty.

best if seasoned tarkad in a manchatti or kalchatti

(clay cooking pot or stone cooking pot).

milagai