• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Near Broad & Pattison In Philly

CoolPapaBell

Obviously we won't be wearing our Sunday best.  Any place near the new stadium to eat or should we just try Philly's famous vendors?

Actually I hear there's pretty good stuff at the new stadium. But I haven't been personally yet.

Hit Tony Luke's at Front & Oregon if it isn't on a Sunday when they're closed. Have Roast Pork, Broccoli Rabe and Provolone sandwich with a little extra gravy on it. You'll thank me later... :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Just stop off at Tony Luke's @ Front and Oregon.

Chicken cutlet, roast pork, and cheesesteaks are all good choices.

After that, just jump 2 blocks south of Oregon to Pattison.

Isn't the new stadium @ 11th, not Broad?

Anyway, the new stadium has really good stadium food, from all accounts.

Bull's BBQ, among other places. Can't find the old thread.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Yes Tony Luke's is the first choice but they do have a concession inside the stadium. Price is comparable. Actually I'm surprised at the food in the park. The Pork BBQ sandwich is excellent at Bull's. My Texan companion let's me go to games if I get her one. :smile:

The $3 hot dogs suck. Just as bad as at the Vet. Avoid them. There are a few places where they are grilled and those are ok.

If you really want to eat outside the park there is Celebre's pizza a block west of Broad right next to Chickie and Pete's. I like their pizza.

Go up Broad a bit and there a quite a few Italian places.

Make a left on ritner and there is Primo Hoagies a bit down the block.

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

• 2 months later...

Any new suggestions?

I'm going Sunday to the Phillies game. May get something to eat inside, but I don't want to depend on that wholeheartedly, so I want to eat something nearby beforehand.

Between Celebre's and Primo's, I'm gonna lean towards Celebre's, but I'm not sure.

I want a place somewhere below Snyder.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

They were correct, good cheesesteak at Tony Luke's inside. Also there was a long line at Geno's. I've been to another Primo's and I was disappointed but will give it another shot.

Nobody eats at that restaurant anymore. It's always too crowded.

---Yogi Berra

The Food Network is airing a special on Ballpark Eats tonight at 7pm. I saw lots of Phillies references, so I guess we'll find out more about our new playground.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

The Food Network is airing a special on Ballpark Eats tonight at 7pm. I saw lots of Phillies references, so I guess we'll find out more about our new playground.

i happened to turn on the part of this when they were talking about philadelphia, and there was.... THE VET.

d'oh! they musta been rerunning the one they made a couple years ago or something.

For a matinee game, try John's Roast Pork in addition (or instead of) Tony Lukes. They are the best, and are on Snyder, right near the new Ikea. Look for the PIG.

They eat, they drink, and in communion sweet

Quaff immortality and joy.

--John Milton