• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Deluxe Diner in Crystal City

Anyone been there? It is on the 23rd Street strip. I went on Sunday morning, hoping for the best, [temporarily edited while waiting on swankalicious]. Children were screaming and running in and out of the kitchen, and the staff seemed overwhelmed and confused, even though the place was hardly full. Is there *any* place worth trying on that street?

I like the Crystal City Sports Pub's hot wings. Moghul Grill (Pakistani) is good. I noticed that Thai Smile is under renovation and soon to re-open as Urban Thai. Nothing on that strip to make it a destination, but it is pretty decent neighborhood grub.

Yowch. I just moved to Crystal City from Foggy Bottom and had pretty high hopes for that strip. I still do until I see for myself, of course, but the poor reviews thus far aren't heartening. Other than that 23rd street strip, options seem pretty limited, unless I were to trek over to Pentagon Row for...what...Baja Fresh and The Lebanese Taverna (Do like the Woodley Park branch)?

What's the deal on those places in The Underground? The tex-mex looking place, and the cajun place? Any good?

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

Yowch. I just moved to Crystal City from Foggy Bottom and had pretty high hopes for that strip. I still do until I see for myself, of course, but the poor reviews thus far aren't heartening. Other than that 23rd street strip, options seem pretty limited, unless I were to trek over to Pentagon Row for...what...Baja Fresh and The Lebanese Taverna (Do like the Woodley Park branch)?

What's the deal on those places in The Underground? The tex-mex looking place, and the cajun place? Any good?

You are a hop, skip and jump from Arlandria. There is RT's on Mt. Vernon, Po Siam's across the street from RT's..... all kinds of stuff over there. A peruvian chicken place. If you like Philadelphia style cheese steaks, check out Al's Steak shop at Mt. Vernon and Monroe (del Ray area).

Don't forget Taqueria Poblano!

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

I work in Crystal City and am in the middle of the Underground. Really nothing here to recommend to people. The San Antonio Grill and the ribs place (blanking on the name for some reason) are OK if you're already here but not worth coming. There is a Morton's if that's your sort of thing. However, in Crystal City on street level Jaleo will soon be opening a branch and there are some other chain places like Legal Sea Food.

"See these? American donuts. Glazed, powered, and raspberry-filled. Now, how's that for freedom of choice."

-Homer Simpson

Ok, so there's hope. Might be zipcar account time, though. Have to talk with The Roommates (tightwad, non-foodie engineer-types. Smell that? That's a sitcom!) Thanks for the pointers!

Oh yeah, and Jaleo will be open over there soon, too! Definately looking forward to that.

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

The thai place was really the only place I ever saw worth a repeat visit on 23rd. However, the Greek place on the alley just north is decent.

If you like Philadelphia style cheese steaks, check out Al's Steak shop at Mt. Vernon and Monroe (del Ray area).

I knew I had been forgetting the other good food thing about Del Ray! Those were very good and only 2 blocks from our townhouse.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W