• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

California Sauv Blanc

redwinegulper

I have enjoyed the 2002 Sancerres, so I thought it would be fun to see how I liked the SBs from California. I thought it would be interesting to try a different tasting methodology (I am not saying it is perfect) - I went to 5 reputable NYC wine retailers and asked for their favorite Sauv Blanc under $25. I ended up tasting 9 wines. The consensus favorite was Honig....hmmm, I never tasted their SB before. Second place was Frog's Leap.

One interesting side note is that sevral of the wines in the tasting had too much oak, of which I am not a fan of.

Cheer...Ed

Ed McAniff

A Taster's Journey

The consensus favorite was Honig....hmmm, I never tasted their SB before.

FWIW, I am a fan of Honig's Cab...I've always found this to be a pretty nice, balanced, and tasty wine in its price point.

Not sure if I have ever had their SB before...perhaps I will need to grab one for summer drinking! :biggrin:

Thanks for the report,

Jean

Regarding SB -- not all California Sauvignon Blanc is made with oak. Some never see any oak whatsoever! Some use new French Oak, some use use American oak. Some use used French and/or American oak. Others use stainless steel tanks with oak chips! It is a matter of style.

Please don't assume that all California SBs are oaked -- the ones I prefer never see any oak at all!

Edited by Carolyn Tillie (log)

Regarding SB -- not all California Sauvignon Blanc is made with oak. Some never any oak whatsoever! Some use new French Oak, some use use American oak. Some use used French and/or American oak. Others use stainless steel tanks with oak chips! It is a matter of style.

Please don't assume that all California SBs are oaked -- the ones I prefer never see any oak at all!

Hey Carolyn,

Got any recs for us?

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Regarding SB -- not all California Sauvignon Blanc is made with oak. Some never see any oak whatsoever! Some use new French Oak, some use use American oak. Some use used French and/or American oak. Others use stainless steel tanks with oak chips! It is a matter of style.

Hey Carolyn,

Got any recs for us?

On the oaky side, I like Lail Vineyard's Georgia and, thanks to a dinner with Melkor at Angele, I got to taste a SB from Araujo that was stupendous. Both of these are hideously expensive.

On the more reasonable side (and less oaky), Gundlach Bundschu produced its first 100% SB this year (they used to buy it to mix in their White Bearitage). This offering is crisp and affordable and goes really well with heavily-garlic'd seafood. Beckmen Vineyards also has several offerings -- all of which I have found drinkable and price-accessible.

I remember tasting both Honig's and Markham's offerings several years ago when they did wine dinners at the Music Center in Los Angeles, but haven't tasted recent offerings. Apparently Stag's Leap Wine Cellars' SB are getting good reviews and all this talk (and the heat) is making me think I should go out and just taste SB for a day.

I love Cali Sauv Blanc too, and prefer mine without too much oak. Some of my favorite affordable ones are.

Beringer $12ish (Prices are NJ)

St. Supery $12ish

Mattanzas Creek $20ish

Charles Krug I think thats $15ish too

Those are thw quickest 4 off the tp of my head. I'm sure there are more.

Msk

Two other vineyards with nice sauv. blancs:

Quivira

I also prefer sauvignon blancs not oaked; another I recall enjoying several times a while back (but can not swear to the level of oakiness) is Rochioli.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

If you want to taste some straight from the barrel we are bottling in Sonoma monday june 28th and can always use some help. Email me Bruce

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

• 4 weeks later...

I was in California recently and had an excellent 2001 Sauvignon Blanc from Westerly, which I'm told is in the Santa Ynez Valley. Unfortunately, it's unlikely that I will find it out here in DC, since Westerly is apparently a small winery. Anyone have recommendations on something similar that's more widely available? Thanks in advance.

has anyone had the caine musque? since it is named, i would imagine that it's a blend of sb and something else. funnily enough, a friend (who also makes sb) had a bottle in his fridge and i drank some on the porch, not expecting much. really, really sappy, like a great sancerre. i have no idea how much it costs, though.

I've liked the Cain Musque, too. I believe it is made from fruit sourced in Monterey County. If memory serves (might be wrong), I think Cain Musque is all sauvignon blanc. Agree, it tastes like there is a bunch of other stuff in it; and, that's not a complaint.

Bob Sherwood

“When the wolf is at the door, one should invite him in and have him for dinner.”

- M.F.K. Fisher

reporting back after having taken the time to actually look something up: it is 100% sb (tastes richer), street price around $20. anyone know what hippolyte reverdy and vacherin are selling for these days? what? look up two things in one day?

I second the recommendation for St. Supery SB. Always tight and racy with a nice dose of passionfruit and no oak.

Secondly, I recommend St. Clement from Napa. I haven't seen it in any NYC stores, but it is similarly clean as the St. Suprey with an even edgier element of acidity. And no oak either!

I'm not a huge Sauvignon Blanc fan but one that I enjoy very much is Murphy-Goode Winery's "The Duece". This one is from the Russian River area. In addition to this they also have a new line of capped rather than corked wines that go by "Tin Roof" and the Tin Roof sauvignon blanc sees no oak at alll and for its price point is a very pleasant wine as well. Another that appeals to me is Chateau St Jeans Fume Blanc.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

I'm not a huge Sauvignon Blanc fan but one that I enjoy very much is Murphy-Goode Winery's "The Duece". This one is from the Russian River area. In addition to this they also have a new line of capped rather than corked wines that go by "Tin Roof" and the Tin Roof sauvignon blanc sees no oak at alll and for its price point is a very pleasant wine as well. Another that appeals to me is Chateau St Jeans Fume Blanc.

Welcome aboard, C-Cane! Are you a de-lurker or have you just stumbled across Le Gullet? We hope you'll stick around awhile, regardless!

Cheers;

carolyn

I'm not a huge Sauvignon Blanc fan but one that I enjoy very much is Murphy-Goode Winery's "The Duece".  This one is from the Russian River area.  In addition to this they also have a new line of capped rather than corked wines that go by "Tin Roof" and the Tin Roof sauvignon blanc sees no oak at alll and for its price point is a very pleasant wine as well.  Another that appeals to me is Chateau St Jeans Fume Blanc.

Welcome aboard, C-Cane! Are you a de-lurker or have you just stumbled across Le Gullet? We hope you'll stick around awhile, regardless!

Cheers;

carolyn

Yes I am new on here having just discovered this site. Since there seems to be good input on several of my vices I probably will stay active in posting.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

I recently got to taste an SB from a winery that specializes in SB only. Sauvignon Republic's first offering is a 2003 Russian River Valley SB. A New Zealand and Loire Valley release are coming in the next 12 months.

The Russian River SB is everything that is good about SB. Citrus and floral nose. More of the same with grassiness in your mouth and a nice long finish.

I tend to like wines that aren't afraid to stand up and be counted with a bold taste and full nose, that's why I really like this wine.

Andy Szmidt

WineMiles.com - great wines! low prices!

The early bird may get the worm. But it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.