• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

garlic butter recipes

spyddie

Without having actual measurements to give you, I wanted to describe mine, as it is excellent. I start by mashing the garlic and softening butter in microwave. Combine garlic, butter, almost as much olive oil as butter, grated parmesean, and minced parsley. It ends up being quite green, but the parsley and the garlic go very well together. I always make too much, then store it in the freezer for ease of garlic bread making next time.

Mine is similar to Rachel's but I also add kosher salt (because I love salt...it's not necessary if you need to watch your salt.) For a baguette I found that 4T softened butter, 2 cloves of garlic, and about 1/2 tsp salt works well. I cut the bread halfway through in slices and spread the garlic butter between each slice, wrap it in tinfoil and heat it in the oven for 20 minutes.

salted butter at room temperature ...... 1 Cup

fresh garlic, finely chopped ............2 or 3 Cloves

Kalamata Olive Paste (made by me) ...................1 Tbsp. or more if desired

Mix everything together & olive-garlic butter is ready and perhaps a little chopped parsley ... Spread on bread or freeze in a log. :biggrin: The olive paste adds salt ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Mine is also similar to Rachel's except that I butter both sides of the bread, wrap in foil, bake for 20 minutes or so, then unwrap the bread from the foil, turn the broiler on and toast both sides for a few minutes.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Does anyone have a good garlic butter for garlic bread? many thanks

george

This is the recipe (approximately) for Susan's Garlic Bread. This is the garlic bread that gave my burgeoning catering business its biggest boost, back in the day. Proportions are approximate.

1 stick softened salted butter

3-4 T. grated parmesan cheese (coarse grate)

2-3 minced garlic cloves

1 t. Italian seasoning

Mash everything together with a fork. Slather evenly onto bread with a spatula.

Susan would either do rounds or slabs (cut the loaf lengthwise, then into sixths or eighths) of Alfaro's 4-Seed baguettes, and put under the broiler until molten and just browning around the edges.

I'd stack that garlic bread up with any recipe/technique in the world.

My favorite and highly recommended

In bowl of food processor

Pulse

6 cloves garlic

fresh basil leaves - 8-10

Add

1/2 c parmesan

1# butter, softened

grated zest 1/2 lemon

3 dashes Tabasco

few grinds black pepper

Spread on bread, use for sandwiches, baked potatoes, steak

This is somewhere between a composed butter and a sauce. It keeps well and is soft, but solid when stored in the fridge. It is the California Pizza Kitchen Pizza recipe for Garlic, Shallot Butter Sauce I frequently use on pizzas. (It is found in their CPK cookbook).

For a batch (from memory -- I may have to correct in a future post, as well as paraphrased as best as possible in respect to copyrights):

Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a non-stick pan over medium to medium-high heat and add 1/4 cup of minced shallot. Begin to saute. After a couple minutes I add 3 tablespoons of minced garlic and 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme. (I stagger this as I find the garlic will burn quicker than the shallot and it is awful when that happens). Saute, stirring frequently so as not to allow anything to burn until all is a light golden brown colour. Deglaze with 1/2 cup of a full bodied chardonnay, the juice of a half a lemon, 1 teaspoon/cube of chicken base (without MSG); salt and pepper to taste. Stir until all is combined and is reduced to about 1/3 of a cup. Add 4 tablespoons of butter. I tend to cut the butter into 4 pieces and remove the sauce from the heat. The butter melts quickly.

I store it in one of those new ziploc containers, designated just for this purpose.

Beware, this sauce creates a heavenly aroma. :smile:

This produces a fantastic garlic bread to accompany salads or pasta. In fact it has created a loyal hospital administrator customer at my family's pizza shop which lead to several catering jobs. :cool:

[Last week, we made two medium sized pizza pan orders of these garlic toasts on wafer thin pizza dough at about 10:30 a.m. for a small office birthday lunch to be delivered at 11:00 a.m. We only needed a little more than 1 1/2, leaving some of those little beauties as left overs. Yum. Thin garlic toasts for breakfast!]

edit to add: when creating garlic bread and/or thin toasts with this sauce, I spread it on and then top with a bit of freshly grated parmesan.

Edited by beans (log)

1 teaspoon/cube of chicken base (without MSG)

Is this the same as boullion?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I have used Herb Ox Chicken low sodium (5 mg) loose in a jar, but from this website I see they are also available in packets, not cubes.

I'm sure there is a better option, I just haven't found it yet.

I'd recommend aiming for the lowest sodium type possible and using unsalted butter so the salt doesn't overwhelm.

link fixing -- I hope it works.

Edited by beans (log)

I like to toast my garlic cloves before mincing them for the garlic bread. Just break up a whole clove into individual cloves, with the last layer of peel left on. Throw in a small nonstick skillet over medium, medium-low heat for 5 to 8 minutes, flipping the garlic occasionally. Garlic peel will develop black spots. Let cool and peel, then mince. Really nice flavor.

rich

I have used Herb Ox Chicken low sodium (5 mg) loose in a jar...

Thanks for the response! That is exactly what I have at home.

beans, it sounds like you use this sauce while it's still in liquid form. If you refrigerate it, do you let it come to room temperature when you use it again, or will it be easily speadable when cold?

edit to pester beans with yet more questions :raz:

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I've done all of the above.

When I know I'll be using it after refrigeration, while it is setting up/cooling off, I'll give it a jiggle or a quick stir to keep all of the little golden nuggets evenly distributed in the suspension because if left alone it will all settle to the bottom. But if you forget all is not lost. It is a soft set and easly to scoop out. Once it hits the dough or bread it is fairly easy to spread, but then I'm doing most of this in a fairly hot commercial kitchen. :rolleyes:

It warms up to room temp pretty quick, but I try to scoop portion out the amount I want to use into a smaller bowl covered with saran (things that have wings have a way of making unscheduled stops in all of the wrong places in a kitchen) and return the batch in the ziploc container to the fridge.

This butter sauce is very easy to work with.

All is adjustable to taste.

edit to add: You are pestering sweetie! Sharing is good. :smile: Especially when it involves garlic creations. :drool:

Edited by beans (log)