• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Houston] The Breakfast Klub - Midtown

LDLee

My wife has found her new favorite place, the Breakfast Klub. She had the chicken and waffles, I had an omelette with grits and a side of biscuits and gravy. The Breakfast Klub is the best example of Southern cooking I have experienced in quite a while. (Atlanta eat your heart out.) Fried chicken wings wre crisp and clean. It was obvious they changed grease frequently. Grits were good. My observation is there is no such thing as great grits, just well prepared grits, which is rare, and badly prepared grits, which is typical. These were well prepared. The gravy and biscuits were outstanding. As good as my grandmother's. Real southern gravy with pepper, not liquid glue with no flavor or body.

On Saturday's, the Breakfast Klub opens at 8:00 a.m. There was line at the door when we got there at 7:45. It moved fairly quickly. The line helped because it gave us time to decide what to order. Service was very helpful and friendly. Several people came by to see how the meal was. We never felt rushed. There is plenty of room and tables.

"As far as I'm concerned, bacon comes from a magical, happy place" Frank, John Doe

Thank you so much for that report. I am especially excited about the biscuits and gravy. I get these cravings for that from time to time and I am always disappointed with what I order out. That is not something that you cook just for yourself and I haven't found a restaurant yet that even comes close. Sounds like a road trip is in order. (EVERYTHING in Houston is a road trip. :biggrin: )

How about hot and crispy sausage patties to go with those biscuits?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I highly recommend the fried catfish. It is always perfectly cooked and flavorful. In fact, I always get either the catfish and grits or wings and waffle... not to say that the other stuff they have isn't good (the etoufee is good), but I can't pull away from my two favorites.

Thank you so much for posting this review! My dad is coming to visit from Atlanta 4th of July weekend, and he fancies himself to be quite the Southern Breakfast Connoisseur. We will definitely make a stop here on Saturday, and then wander next door to the T'afia Organic Market. We'll probably need the ruffage anyway!

For more infor, here are links to Allison Cook's review (http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/diningstory.mp...ng/cook/2450540) and

Robb Walsh's review (http://www.houstonpress.com/issues/2001-11-08/cafe.html)

They both liked it.

Address: 3711 Travis St at W. Alabama

Phone: (713) 528-8561

"As far as I'm concerned, bacon comes from a magical, happy place" Frank, John Doe

• 4 months later...