• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Preserving Summer

trillium

The photos of the litchi jam show whole litchis suspended in the jam, I'm fairly certain. But I'm sure it's more practical to have them cut up. I think some of this stuff is not really intended to be eaten the way I think of jam anyway (spread on a piece of bread).

Oh, I didn't notice the picture! I've returned the book to the library (under duress), so I can't take a look for myself until I buy it. I xeroxed a few of the recipes I thought I might try soon.

One of the problems (well, not really) with this eGullet thing is that lots of people get the same ideas! I barely got my fingers on the Ferber book before someone else placed a hold on it with the NY Public Library.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

Yes, I agree about the boiling times which I think are somewhat inaccurate instructions. Some of Ferber's recipes are with a boiling time and others are to reach the 221 degrees F.

Which may be why I ended up with blueberry syrup insead of jam. (I recooked with a fresh set of jars and lids to a perfect set.) Looking back possibly it was the Pinot Noir with the added liquid without the correct instructed cooking time, but it taught me a new lesson to depend upon my thermometer. :smile:

With my litchee/lychee and pineapple jam, I cut the fruit thinking about the spreadability despite the whole, small fruits did look quite attractive.

Edited by beans (log)

Yes, I agree about the boiling times which I think are somewhat inaccurate instructions. Some of Ferber's recipes are with a boiling time and others are to reach the 221 degrees F.

I made the peach saffron this weekend, and it uses the 221 degree thing. I think it worked well, if anything it provided a set that's more than firm enough.

(I actually think I did boil a little too long with my litchi/raspberry. It was perfectly set at room temp and a little more set than I'd like after being opened and refrigerated. Did I mention that I'm still new to this jam stuff?)

I think I wasted some saffron in the making of my peach jam. Saffron mostly provides color, and I thought the yellow peaches were better than the white ones this week, so I went with yellow. I contemplated just dropping the saffron, but then I thought it might still add something. But in the end, I think it didn't alter either the color or the flavor very much. Still a tasty jam, lovely to behold.

AND I made the fig/pear jam. I used black mission figs and it is really great. This one set in just about the recommended time.

I'm jumping into the conversation midstream and spoiling the flow, I know, but I have a question for you jam-makers:

About two months ago I made about a dozen jars of strawberry jam--just strawberries, about 50% sugar, and some fresh lemon juice. Sealed the jars and stored them in the pantry. I ate a jar or two shortly after making it, and then I went out of town for a bit, and now I see that the jars in the pantry have discolored a bit. The jam looks a less vibrant and shiny, and up at the top it almost looks purply-gray and a touch cloudy. :sad: Is something wrong? Is this normal?

[Note that I haven't opened any of these jars yet...and I guess that would be the next step, hmm? I wanted to ask you guys first.]

She blogs: Orangette

I almost fainted when I saw the price on those Weck jars. $18.95!!! Eeks, my $7 dollar case of Ball from Walmart are just fine.

$18.95? Yikes.

Wal-Mart is the only store near me that carries canning jars. :angry: And it's near only if you think a 20 minute drive qualifies.

I made a lovely batch of Zydeco Green Beans from Joy of Pickling last night. Tonight's project is bread and butter pickles, then spiced peaches on Monday.

What a fun hobby this is turning out to be. :smile:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

OK, I got Mes Confitures ... looks pretty great.

I also remembered, was reminded by the hundreds of green cherry tomatoes on the vines, about Paul Prudhomme's pickled green cherry tomatoes, for use mostly in martinis. I usually make them at the end of the season with those that won't have a chance to ripen, but all these hanging on the vines here at the beginning are sorely tempting!

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Wal-Mart is the only store near me that carries canning jars. :angry: And it's near only if you think a 20 minute drive qualifies.

Where do you live?

I am surprised that your local supermarkets do not carry them.

Every super market in which I shop carries at least the basic selection of canning jars, sometimes on sale at a pretty good price, usually at the end of the season which is when I stock up. Last fall Albertsons had a great (unadvertised) sale and I bought every case on the shelf and asked for more from the stockroom.

I had three baskets full wheeled out to my van.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I've found some excellent on-line sources and most of them average <$1.00 per jar when purchasing lots of 12. Also, I've found that in my area (north suburban Chicago), several 'old skool' hardware stores carry a large variety of canning jars, accessories and equipment.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I'm jumping into the conversation midstream and spoiling the flow, I know, but I have a question for you jam-makers:

About two months ago I made about a dozen jars of strawberry jam--just strawberries, about 50% sugar, and some fresh lemon juice. Sealed the jars and stored them in the pantry. I ate a jar or two shortly after making it, and then I went out of town for a bit, and now I see that the jars in the pantry have discolored a bit. The jam looks a less vibrant and shiny, and up at the top it almost looks purply-gray and a touch cloudy. :sad: Is something wrong? Is this normal?

[Note that I haven't opened any of these jars yet...and I guess that would be the next step, hmm? I wanted to ask you guys first.]

It's really hard to tell you if something is wrong or not, without actually being there. It could be bacterial contamination (the cloudiness you describe sounds like bugs) or it could be some oxidation because you've stored them in a hot, light place. Sometimes jams do oxidize a bit on top, but I haven't noticed it happening in a few months, more like a year.

regards,

trillium

Wal-Mart is the only store near me that carries canning jars.  :angry:  And it's near only if you think a 20 minute drive qualifies.

Where do you live?

I am surprised that your local supermarkets do not carry them.

I'm in the DC area. Guess not too many people can here. Food Lion has lids, pectin, and pickling salt but no jars.

Ronnie, we don't have many old-school hardware stores here. Home Depot rules. :sad: I am leaning towards buying jars online.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Have you tried Target, Heather? Here in Brooklyn (hardly a canning mecca, I reckon), they sell the half-pint Ball "Collection Elite" jars (with the decorative plaid dome lids/rings).

Have you tried Target, Heather? Here in Brooklyn (hardly a canning mecca, I reckon), they sell the half-pint Ball "Collection Elite" jars (with the decorative plaid dome lids/rings).

Nope, my Target doesn't have anything. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Peach jam tomorrow. :biggrin: Should I add ginger?

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Cool. When I checked with Ball about the Elite Collection, they only told me the list of stores where their products are sold:

most grocery stores

True Value Hardware

K-Mart

Walmart

Target

I went to Target. They didn't have any! Were they in the kitchen/households area? Perhaps they are stocking them seasonally.

Are they the round jars (as opposed to the cylander quilted shape)? I can't explain why, but I prefer the round jars and didn't realise they were such a pain to locate. When I was doing most of my jelly/jam making in Alaska, there were literally large walls of these at their True Value store.

Thanks SethG!

Beans, you're not in Brooklyn, are you? I think you're elsewhere. But in Brookyln, they were in the brand new store, in the same area as the baking stuff, I think. I like the wide mouth jars (official eGullet credit link) myself. They're easier to load and aren't quite so frilly/sissy as the Elite jars. My manhood is questioned enough as it is, what with the jam-making and all. And the fact that I recently read Like Water For Chocolate. :biggrin: So I like to keep my jam jars functional and masculine.

But I ran out of the wide mouth jars and I happened to see the Elites at Target so I bought some.

Something to think about when choosing jars... I liked the wide mouths for their easy filling too, but after I switched to them I realized you get a much bigger surface area for oxidation to happen. I didn't like that with my tomato sauce, because I scoop that part off and don't eat it. Some jams are worse then others, I've noticed the oxidation problem more with red fruits then yellow or dark blue/purple. This probably isn't a problem if you have perfect storage areas (cool, dark) and eat them in less then a year, but for those that don't....

regards,

trillium

It's really hard to tell you if something is wrong or not, without actually being there.  It could be bacterial contamination (the cloudiness you describe sounds like bugs) or it could be some oxidation because you've stored them in a hot, light place.  Sometimes jams do oxidize a bit on top, but I haven't noticed it happening in a few months, more like a year.

Thanks, trillium, for helping me try to figure out what is going on with my jam. I think it might just be oxidation, since the jars are stored in a warm place. I don't have air conditioning, so there's just no good place to store them in my apartment. [On the other hand, I suppose I could keep them in a box in the parking garage, next to my car...but hmm, I think it's a bit late for that. Plus, one never knows what might happen to unguarded strawberry jam.]

On a side note, does jam sometimes thicken after sitting for a bit like this? Mine was loose at first, but now it seems more viscous when I turn or invert a jar from the pantry...

I suppose I could solve all this by just opening a jar of the stuff when I get home later, and giving it a thorough checking-over myself, hmm?

She blogs: Orangette

Heather, on the jar front, specimens can often be found for cheap in charity or thrift shops, sometimes whole cases, sometimes quite new, sometimes beautiful older examples.

As long as the jars are not cracked or chipped (inspect the rims closely for tiny chips) with new lids they are good to go.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

I stir together some wineberries, raspberries and sour cherries with some sugar and a squeeze of lemon on the stove, and put them in a working glass jar with lid. Should I be storing them in canning jars instead?

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

Not necessary if you are using it after the cooking process, it is a clean and sterile vessel and are not storing it for use months away.

A practice in Alaska for sellling to tourists are reusing baby food jars with new lids (where are they getting those lids? I'm sure there is a source) for jellies and jams. I think the rule is as long as the glass can take the heat of sterilization it is a fine container to use.

Regarding reusing jars.

The Atlas jars, in which some commercial spagetti sauces, salsas, marinades and some fruits, are regular canning jars with the double-threads which fit regular Ball or Kerr canning lids. One or two companies use the wide-mouth jars and again, these fit the wide-mouth lids.

all of these companies have labels that are plastic film and not fired on so they can be removed - I use acetone but try the regular nail polish remover which melts the plastic.

I have friends who are more than happy to save these jars for me in return for some of my canning product.

In fact, when I got home from work yesterday there was a cardboard box full of canning jars next to my back door with a little note that said, "I can see your tomatoes are coming along well so you can probably use these when you make your marinara sauce, hint, hint, hint!" Maggie.

Thrift shops are a good place to look and you can always ask the volunteer ladies to save you a certain type of item.

I have an arrangement with a couple of charity thrift shops that I will take all the cookbooks they get as well as all the canning equipment and odd old kitchen gadgets and utensils. They know I am good for it and one will even deliver. I give them a regular donation every 6 months even if I don't have anything for me to buy.

The things I don't want and which are in good condition and useful, basic utensils, I donate to the women's and children's shelter which they pass on to women who are trying to start a new life and have nothing.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Wow andiesenji, that is an absolutely wonderful thing to do. (When I worked womens wear retail we used to make clothing donations to the shelters regularly so that really clicked with me).

Going back to store bought just isn't an option anymore. The sparkling beauty of my strawberry jam delights me each morning as I spread it on toast.

This is turning out to be a very fulfilling hobby. One that also keeps me close to my dear grandmother who did this as a matter of necessity. It is something that is a common denominator when I lived in Alaska, and why those garage sale hunts for jars were so much fun too.

Yes, bless those that kindly return their gift jars in hopes of another gift of the rewards of the summer preserving season. :cool:

We use the real shorty wide mouths for jarring smoked sockeye. That's the perfect size for the right amount of fish and very easy to work with.

Gee, come to think of it, that too was preserving summer. :smile:

For sure (summer = salmon)!

A friend came back from a honeymoon in Alaska with 3 monsters which he brought over to my house. I was a bit flummoxed with the size of these (my cutting board and flexible knife are too small), since I'm not used to filleting anything that big. And then, what on earth do you do with that much salmon? We ended up making most of it into gravlox, which I think will freeze well, I froze some pieces and we're going to grill the bellies and carcasses. Probably dropping one off to a smoker wouldn't have been such a bad idea.

regards,

trillium

Guys, I have a batch of blackberries from the farmer's market and I'm thinking of making blackberry jam, but the seeds are making me absolutely nuts! Any solutions to dealing with this?

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.