• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Preserving Summer

trillium

I find the Persian cukes have just a bit less snap than the Kirby.

And that might be a tad understated... I'm so heart-broken. Look at my little shriveled up pickles today. :sad: I can't imagine how bad they will look in a few weeks. So totally my fault for being ignorant and using the Persians.

shriveleduplittlepickles.jpg

withoutflash.jpg

The only pickles I've ever done were bread and butter pickles and wanted to branch out this year. That might not successfully happen.

Does anyone have a tried and true dill pickle recipe they would be willing to share? I was hoping for something with a little bite and crunch to it.

• 9 years later...

It is peach season!!! Usually I make peach jam using one of the recipes from "Mes Confitures" by Christine Ferber. This year I would like to do something different and can (water bath method) peach pie filling. The plan is to use this peach pie filling for a variety of things: pies, crisps, topping for waffles, topping for pancakes,etc..  Does anyone have a favorite recipe for method that they would be willing to share? I am thinking about trying this recipe (https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_02/can_pie/peach_filling.html) from the National Center for Home Food Preservation.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, curls said:

Does anyone have a favorite recipe for method that they would be willing to share? I am thinking about trying this recipe (https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_02/can_pie/peach_filling.html) from the National Center for Home Food Preservation.

I've never preserved any kind of pie filling and I was interested to read about the use of Clear Jel for thickening. I've never used it and wondered if people like the resulting texture, but the reviews on Amazon are almost all really positive. And apparently it holds up really well. So I learned something by looking at that recipe! 

If you didn't want that kind of texture (and I'm not even sure that there's any reason not to want it), I guess you could use a different recipe. Maybe something like this, which uses apples and the added pectin probably creates some gelling and raisins help absorb extra liquid. But I've never tried either recipe and again, not sure that there's anything wrong with your original recipe. It's just a somewhat random thought on my part.  🙂

https://www.bernardin.ca/recipes/en/peach-pie-filling.htm?Lang=EN-US

Thanks @FauxPas I don’t mind using the Clear Jel; ordered it from Amazon yesterday. I use Instant Clear Jel for other applications and it works well. No time to can during the week so I’m monitoring the peaches and moving them from countertop to fridge as needed. I’ll most likely go with the recipe that I linked to in my previous post. The peaches are Red Havens and they are delicious, I’m having at least one a day as a snack / dessert.

• Like 2

After receiving a large batch of beautiful mangoes as detailed here, I realised I couldn't get through them all, so today made my favourite spicy mango relish. It keeps for months in the fridge. I eat it with chicken, cheese, curries, scotch eggs - pretty much anything.

76454545_cheeseandmangorelish.thumb.jpg.70161124185f097e6d2965292d37f3c0.jpg

Cheddar Cheese with mango relish on home made bread.

Recipe here.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/8/2021 at 11:33 PM, curls said:

It is peach season!!! Usually I make peach jam using one of the recipes from "Mes Confitures" by Christine Ferber. This year I would like to do something different and can (water bath method) peach pie filling. The plan is to use this peach pie filling for a variety of things: pies, crisps, topping for waffles, topping for pancakes,etc..  Does anyone have a favorite recipe for method that they would be willing to share? I am thinking about trying this recipe (https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_02/can_pie/peach_filling.html) from the National Center for Home Food Preservation.

Used the method from the National Center for Home Food Preservation and I was very happy with the results. 5 1/2 quarts of peach pie filling!

74629541_IMG_6811-peachpiefilling-canned.jpg.2a5682eecf26fce7ab5449a18e98a8f7.jpg

Used 1.5 quarts of filling to make some small peach pies.

640517537_IMG_6827-peachminipies.jpg.1bdc56807e15afce06e57822c620db72.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2