• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Preserving Summer

trillium

Hello,

I'm new to this forum although I've been on Spirits & Cocktails for a while. I am a bartender and cook, and I've been making jam for years. Mes Confitures is one of my favorite books!

My question is this: I've been making a lot of syrups for the bar, and I would like to process them so they can be stored on a shelf rather than just refrigerated. I've searched everywhere and can't find information on how to process bottles rather than jars. Do I use screw caps? Plastic corks? Do I need special bottles?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

Small Hand Foods

classic ingredients for pre-prohibition era cocktails

Hello,

I'm new to this forum although I've been on Spirits & Cocktails for a while.  I am a bartender and cook, and I've been making jam for years.  Mes Confitures is one of my favorite books!

My question is this:  I've been making a lot of syrups for the bar, and I would like to process them so they can be stored on a shelf rather than just refrigerated.  I've searched everywhere and can't find information on how to process bottles rather than jars.  Do I use screw caps?  Plastic corks?  Do I need special bottles?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you so much!

Ciao Feste!

I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you asking for a process that will enable you to keep the syrups on a shelf after they've been open? Or are you asking how you can seal bottles for long term storage without spoilage?

Depending on where you are, you can find bottles with either bottle cap or screw cap tops. Sterilize and seal as you would a jar. Wherever you have a good supplier of canning supplies, you should be able to find bottles.

If you want something to preserve after opening.... I have no idea! :laugh:

Thanks Hathor!

I'm just looking for a bottle equivalent of a canning jar. The places that I normally buy my jars don't have bottles. If I buy a glass bottle with a screw top, can I process it like a jar? Does it need a special kind of top that pops in when cooling? I own a lot of books on canning, and none of them discuss bottles.

After opening, of course, they'll be refrigerated.

Thanks again!

Small Hand Foods

classic ingredients for pre-prohibition era cocktails

The answer is "it depends". Only the bottle manufacturer can tell you if the bottle you have purchased is safe for a boiling water bath. Unless it is made for canning, it may shatter when you boil it. To be safe, you can make the syrup and process it in standard canning jars with two piece lids, and store it in those. When you are ready to use the syrup, decant it into a clean bottle and refrigerate the syrup.

I'm just looking for a bottle equivalent of a canning jar.  The places that I normally buy my jars don't have bottles.  If I buy a glass bottle with a screw top, can I process it like a jar?  Does it need a special kind of top that pops in when cooling?  I own a lot of books on canning, and none of them discuss bottles.

Thanks again!

I just made an utterly awesome blackberry jam. I put the berries through the food mill first to remove the seeds. Then I cooked the jam, using about a 1 : 3/4 ratio fruit to jam, with the addition of a couple of star anise and a bay leaf. The subtle flavor of the added spice with the blackberry is exquisite and the texture is pure velvet.

Abra,

thank you so much for that as I've been experimenting with blackberry jam (i've done almost everyone to a blackberry one can do - haha). Your recipe sounds great. I just did a batch adding a bit of vanilla and amaretto which was nice but I was too lazy to remove the seeds (which I should have as thats the part i hate about blackberry jam). Thanks for the inspiration - i love star anise.

Thanks kiliki (although I got this reply after the jam was finished). For future reference, do I need to increase the sugar if I am adding liquid pectin? The original recipe I followed called for a ratio of fruit to sugar of 10 to 8 (i.e. 1 kg of fruit to 800 g of sugar).

I've made jam with powdered and liquid pectin (and no pectin) and haven't noticed drastic differences in sugar amounts. But, I can't tell you for sure that your formula will work with liquid pectin and every fruit--I'd look at the chart in the liquid pectin box and use your judgement according to what that says.

So, I have been haunting this thread for a few weeks now, reading all of the updates and information that you guys have been sharing. I have spent some time pondering the idea that I could possibly can some of the peaches that are showing up in our farmer's markets (without causing a pressure canner explosion or killing someone from botchulism).

I have checked out books from our local library on canning, read through them, and allowed those ideas some time to simmer. Prior to reading this thread, my only canned goods encounters had been limited to stuff that was that way when I bought it.

Finally, last weekend I was able to put it all together . . . I canned some freakin' peaches!! That was SO cool! In fact, it was cool enough that the next day I made a strawberry and basil jam.

My boyfriend liked my peach jam enough that he wants more, so I have embarked on a project to provide him with a couple of month's worth of peach jam. He goes through a lot of it, so I want to give him a supply of several quart-size jars (because this is the size jar he is currently getting from Sam's, and because the man likes his jam). Because my current equipment won't easily accomodate jars of this size, we went out last night and bought a 21qt Granite Ware water bath canner.

This morning, I noticed that the label says that the canner should not be used on a glass cooktop. I have a glass cooktop.

So, I wonder what this limitation is really about. Am I going to damage the cooktop if I use the canner? Is this a "CYA" move on the part of the manufacturer? Can I safely ignore this restriction?

I feel like this might be a silly question, but I don't want to damage the cooktop. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience on this??

Because my current equipment won't easily accomodate jars of this size, we went out last night and bought a 21qt Granite Ware water bath canner.

This morning, I noticed that the label says that the canner should not be used on a glass cooktop. I have a glass cooktop.

So, I wonder what this limitation is really about. Am I going to damage the cooktop if I use  the canner? Is this a "CYA" move on the part of the manufacturer? Can I safely ignore this restriction?

I feel like this might be a silly question, but I don't want to damage the cooktop.  Does anyone have any thoughts or experience on this??

Look at the bottom of the pot - is it concave with just a rim of metal at the edge? If so, hardly any of the base will be in contact with the burner, if any at all (if the pot is very big and the concavity is wide). My old water bath canner is like that.

Because my current equipment won't easily accomodate jars of this size, we went out last night and bought a 21qt Granite Ware water bath canner.

So, I wonder what this limitation is really about. Am I going to damage the cooktop if I use  the canner? Is this a "CYA" move on the part of the manufacturer? Can I safely ignore this restriction?

I feel like this might be a silly question, but I don't want to damage the cooktop.  Does anyone have any thoughts or experience on this??

Look at the bottom of the pot - is it concave with just a rim of metal at the edge? If so, hardly any of the base will be in contact with the burner, if any at all (if the pot is very big and the concavity is wide). My old water bath canner is like that.

Crud.

I did not even think of that. I was just fixated on not breaking something. Oh well. I am also fixated on more peach jam, so I'll work something out. I can't wait until the farmer's market this weekend! Thanks for helping me figure out what I'm into!

So, I wonder what this limitation is really about. Am I going to damage the cooktop if I use  the canner?

when I was shopping for a new stove a couple of years ago, they told me I should stick with the coil-top type stoves for canning and when I asked why, they said that the glass or flat-top ones can't maintain a high enough heat or something - the heat fluctuates more, apparently.

Well, glass top stove or not, yesterday was officially jam fest 2008 in my house. I made 7 quarts of peach jam. The water bath canner seemed to work fine - water boiled like crazy for the full processing time.

By the end of the day yesterday I was pretty sure that it would be a while before I canned again. I was tuckered. Of course, that was yesterday and this is today, and now I am hatching a plan to convert a cranberry sauce recipe that my family loves into jam when cranberries show up in the stores. Also pears . . . maybe we will end up with some pear jam, too!!

Good thing my S.O. likes jam!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I reread most of the notes and I haven't seen a question like this. I'm using pectin for the first time this year. There really are some things that need it. I'm having a heck of a time with the "floating" fruit! What the heck am I doing wrong? Yes, I've cooked it for the correct time, sugar and so on. I'm lost on this one.

Jane

Hi Jane,

Did the syrup/jam set up, even with the fruit floating? If so, then you need to let your jam set in the pot a few minutes after it finishes boiling :wink: , give it a stir, and then ladel into the jars. You can also let the jars cool a bit after the boiling water bath, and give them a gentle shake to redistribute the fruit in the cooling (and hopefully thickened) syrup. Just be very carefull not to pop the seals. Some fruits just seem to like to float.

Hi Everyone,

I reread most of the notes and I haven't seen a question like this. I'm using pectin for the first time this year. There really are some things that need it. I'm having a heck of a time with the "floating" fruit! What the heck am I doing wrong? Yes, I've cooked it for the correct time, sugar and so on. I'm lost on this one.

Jane

Hi Jane,

Did the syrup/jam set up, even with the fruit floating? If so, then you need to let your jam set in the pot a few minutes after it finishes boiling :wink: , give it a stir, and then ladel into the jars. You can also let the jars cool a bit after the boiling water bath, and give them a gentle shake to redistribute the fruit in the cooling (and hopefully thickened) syrup. Just be very carefull not to pop the seals. Some fruits just seem to like to float.

Hi Momcook,

I don't know if it set. It was thicker then it was but not real thick. I know what type of answer is that! It's hot pepper jam I made. I've read where if the fruit doesn't float when you put it into the jars then don't worry about it. Mine doesn't (did cherry also) but both times they float after the bath. So what I have done is real cook the pepper jam I didn't add any thing. Just real cooked and bathed it again. i'm going with what turns out. I've canned a lot I just don't use pectin. But with cherry, hot pepper and others you need too.

Thank You for you help.

Jane

Ps. I just taken the hot pepper jam out of the canner. We will see, I'm not excepting anything different.

Jane, is it hot pepper jam or jelly? I have made the pepper jely, and the jelly can take a few days to set up. Jelly is slower to set, so keep an eye on it, and when it starts to thicken, give it a gentle shake to distribute the peppers. Hopefully that will work.

Hi Jane,

Did the syrup/jam set up, even with the fruit floating?  If so, then you need to let your jam set in the pot a few minutes after it finishes boiling :wink: , give it a stir, and then ladel into the jars.  You can also let the jars cool a bit after the boiling water bath, and give them a gentle shake to redistribute the fruit in the cooling (and hopefully thickened) syrup. Just be very carefull not to pop the seals.  Some fruits just seem to like to float. 

Hi Momcook,

I don't know if it set. It was thicker then it was but not real thick. I know what type of answer is that! It's hot pepper jam I made. I've read where if the fruit doesn't float when you put it into the jars then don't worry about it. Mine doesn't (did cherry also) but both times they float after the bath. So what I have done is real cook the pepper jam I didn't add any thing. Just real cooked and bathed it again. i'm going with what turns out. I've canned a lot I just don't use pectin. But with cherry, hot pepper and others you need too.

Thank You for you help.

Jane

Ps. I just taken the hot pepper jam out of the canner. We will see, I'm not excepting anything different.

Hello,

I'm new to this forum although I've been on Spirits & Cocktails for a while.  I am a bartender and cook, and I've been making jam for years.  Mes Confitures is one of my favorite books!

My question is this:  I've been making a lot of syrups for the bar, and I would like to process them so they can be stored on a shelf rather than just refrigerated.  I've searched everywhere and can't find information on how to process bottles rather than jars.  Do I use screw caps?  Plastic corks?  Do I need special bottles?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you so much!

Personally, I think your best bet would be to use canning jars with a two-piece lid and ring closure.

You might also contact the folks at the National Center for Home Food Preservation directly with your question. http://www.uga.edu/nchfp. Are you looking for bottles rather than jars for a specific reason?

So, I have been haunting this thread for a few weeks now, reading all of the updates and information that you guys have been sharing.  I have spent some time pondering the idea that I could possibly can some of the peaches that are showing up in our farmer's markets (without causing a pressure canner explosion or killing someone from botchulism).

I have checked out books from our local library on canning, read through them, and allowed those ideas some time to simmer.  Prior to reading this thread, my only canned goods encounters had been limited to stuff that was that way when I bought it.

Finally, last weekend I was able to put it all together . . . I canned some freakin' peaches!! That was SO cool! In fact, it was cool enough that the next day I made a strawberry and basil jam. 

My boyfriend liked my peach jam enough that he wants more, so I have embarked on a project to provide him with a couple of month's worth of peach jam.  He goes through a lot of it, so I want to give him a supply of several quart-size jars (because this is the size jar he is currently getting from Sam's, and because the man likes his jam). Because my current equipment won't easily accomodate jars of this size, we went out last night and bought a 21qt Granite Ware water bath canner.

The recommendation against use with a smooth-top range is likely because the kettle bottom may not be flat. Sometimes the graniteware kettles have circular 'ridges' in their bottoms rather than being perfectly flat. And some have smooth bottoms that are concave. Both of those will take longer to heat and boil water than a kettle with a nice smooth and flat bottom. You won't be damaging the cooktop, assuming your stove's literature says it's okay for canning.

Thanks Hathor!

I'm just looking for a bottle equivalent of a canning jar.  The places that I normally buy my jars don't have bottles.  If I buy a glass bottle with a screw top, can I process it like a jar?  Does it need a special kind of top that pops in when cooling?  I own a lot of books on canning, and none of them discuss bottles.

Thanks again!

Look up the 1-liter Quattro Stagioni jar by Bormioli; organizedliving.com has them. They are not inexpensive, though, at $4 each plus shipping. The Bormioli jars have lids with the plastisol compound for vacuum sealing. I use the jars for dry storage and like the bottle for lemonade. I don't can in them because I prefer Kerr jars. Syrup would be a fine thing to process in the Bormioli bottle. The organizedliving link shows the bottle with pickles in it. I think that's just funny! The opening is all of 2" in diameter. Your trick with the B-QS jars will be having spare lids for it. Look it up; I'm thinking it is exactly the bottle you are looking for although I wouldn't spend that kind of money for my own shelf storage. YMMV.

A commercial packaging supplier will have lots of options for bottles and closures; their CS people are usually very helpful and may send a couple samples—Freund Container comes to mind. Good luck in the hunt and let me/us know what you find.

-Bubbles

Hi Everyone,

Jane

Floating fruit is the bane of every canner, I think, Jane. :angry: Best I can tell you is to slowly stir your jam for a full five minutes after you remove it from the heat. That may help. After cooking the jam, I pour it from the cooking kettle to a 3-quart pitcher, skim and stir, then pour into jars. I prefer the pitcher to a ladle and funnel for filling the jars; it's less messy for me.

Edited by Bubbles La Tour (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Just a little up date. I do fair showings. I do good with my toppings (none pectin) but for the first year I decided to do one with pectin. Well I took 1st place. I'm amazed. It was with my cherry jam. Now thinking about it I should have done the hot pepper jam, next year.

Thank you everyone for help with the floating fruit. We must get over it's not going to look like the stuff from the store.

Jane

Hi Everyone,

Just a little up date. I do fair showings. I do good with my toppings (none pectin) but for the first year I decided to do one with pectin. Well I took 1st place. I'm amazed. It was with my cherry jam. Now thinking about it I should have done the hot pepper jam, next year.

Jane

Congratulations on the blue ribbon for your cherry jam! What fairs do you enter, Jane? State? Regional? County? When you say "toppings," do you mean jam or do you mean something else?

-Bubbles

http://web.me.com/barbschaller

Hi Everyone,

Jane

Floating fruit is the bane of every canner, I think, Jane. :angry: Best I can tell you is to slowly stir your jam for a full five minutes after you remove it from the heat. That may help. After cooking the jam, I pour it from the cooking kettle to a 3-quart pitcher, skim and stir, then pour into jars. I prefer the pitcher to a ladle and funnel for filling the jars; it's less messy for me.

My favorite "method" for preserves and jams, so as to avoid the "floating-fruit problem," is to use a slotted ladle and transfer just the fruit into the jars, using the wide-mouth funnel, until the jar is full of fruit.

THEN I ladle in the syrup until the fruit is covered.

I continue until all the fruit has been jarred. Usually I have some syrup left over and that gets jarred separately.

I learned this 60 years ago when watching my grandma prepare cherry preserves, as well as peach, pear, gooseberry, huckleberry, raspberry, strawberry and etc.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

This seems to be the appropriate thread to ask this question--I have two pear trees and a lot of unripe pears that had to be picked. I want to make pear butter out of them but wondered if they have to be ripe. I need to use the unripe pears right away for various reasons. Does anyone have experience with unripe pears? I know they'll ripen eventually but I don't want to wait.