• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Outdoor dining opportunities

On a day like today, a young man's thoughts turn to a table outside so that he can watch the passing show -- so that his thoughts can turn to, well, you know. The estimable Opentable has now added a neat list of the town's better patios, with the added bonus of letting you know which places let you specifically reserve outdoor seating.

Random trivia question: Name the actor, character and movie responsible for the following apt quotes, which could, in a pinch, be used on a luncheon-crimping boss or colleague.

"I'm just drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know? Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?"

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

Donald Sutherland playing Oddball in Kelly's Heroes

I live for outdoor patios :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

On a day like today, a young man's thoughts turn to a table outside so that he can watch the passing show -- so that his thoughts can turn to, well, you know. The estimable Opentable has now added a neat list of the town's better patios, with the added bonus of letting you know which places let you specifically reserve outdoor seating.

Random trivia question: Name the actor, character and movie responsible for the following apt quotes, which could, in a pinch, be used on a luncheon-crimping boss or colleague.

"I'm just drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know? Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?"

Donald Sutherland, Oddball, Kelly's Heros.

Great timing, stretch. Just yesterday I was thinking "I wish eg had a list of nice outdoor spots" because my friend and I were scrambling to find one for lunch.

Here are a few in the Cleveland Park area that aren't on Open Table's list:

Indique - a few balcony tables, others at street level (but these weren't out for lunch on Sunday).

Alero - more balcony tables, a deck too although part of it appears to be under construction

Yanni's - street level, for the most part.

Bricks - yuck, I hate this place, but their rooftop deck is nice for having a beer.

Most of the bars along Pennsylvania Ave, SE (Hawk and Dove, Cap Lounge etc.) have tables outside on the street, nothing great foodwise but a nice way to drink a Bass on a Sunday afternoon after the US moves on to the semifinals of regional World Cup qualification.

Montmartre has a nice patio out front.

I read on DC's alcoholic bev board site that Le Paradou had applied for a licence to have a garden patio. Anyone know if it's up and running yet (assuming that it is approved)? Would so love to go there on a crisp summer night, if we get one of those again...

Actually here's what ABRA decided back in March:

Adjudications

March 17, 2004

Adjudication Issues for the Newspaper

8. The Board decided that placards should be placed at Le Paradon, LLC, t/a Le Paradon, 601 Pennsylvania Ave., NW, Class CR, to allow for community input on the licensee’s request for a summer garden, with an outdoor seating capacity for 58 persons.

( I guess I should get back to work now :hmmm: )

• 10 months later...

Bricks - mercifully - has closed.

Everyone say a little prayer that something good moves in because I like the space's roof deck (it's not fancy, but it's pleasant enough). After being disappointed by a few new CP tenants - see the tanning place, see Sorriso, see that taco chain - I am reluctant to get my hopes up, but still...

We ate at Leopold's, in Georgetown (Cady's Alley) for a late Mother's Day lunch. The outdoor seating was great - although the beautiful day had a lot to do wtih that. Service was somewhat slow and unorganized, but we wre not in any hurry so it did not really bother us much. Our meals were fine - the frites were crispy and we liked the added crispy herbs on them (ordered some with and some without). We had mussels; schnitzel; a grilled fish; and steak frite. Took a chocolate mousse cake home - quite nice and light, but pricey ($26 for a 6" cake). If you have ever been to Amsterdam, the decor reminds me of the cafe in the Bijenkorf department store - that European utilitarian/chic approach. A much better experience than I expected.

I know I'm going slightly off topic since you are not likely to see a lots of women walking around....

My wife and I use to go to mount vernon a lot (we had yearly pass) and sit on the grassy hill over looking the river. I still think it has the best view. Bring some food and a perfect place for watching some wonderous sights....

Soup