• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Garlic scapes, shoots, greens

Really Nice!

If garlic spears are what I think it is, it's used for banchan (side dish) in Korean cuisine among other things. The stems are pickled, cut into bite size lengths and then tossed in a chili power, garlic, seasame, seasame oil, sugar mixture. I've seen some recipes where it's incorporated into stir fry. I remember it was one of my favorite banchan because the garlic flavor is subtle and the crispy texture made it fun to eat.

If garlic spears are what I think it is, it's used for banchan (side dish) in Korean cuisine among other things.  The stems are pickled, cut into bite size lengths and then tossed in a chili power, garlic, seasame, seasame oil, sugar mixture. I've seen some recipes where it's incorporated into stir fry.  I remember it was one of my favorite banchan because the garlic flavor is subtle and the crispy texture made it fun to eat.

OK, dumb question: Do I eat the flower buds?

K

Oooh! I've got some in the fridge too! They're pretty common in Vancouver, although I haven't seen them with the flower buds. I usually stir-fry them with shredded pork, mushrooms, tofu, ginger & soy, or cook them with scrambled eggs. Yum! The batch I recently bought were a little tough at the bottom 3 inches, so might need to peel them a bit.

When I have cooked with garlic scapes, I have found that the flower bud isn't the best part - sort of fibrous and pungent. But the whole thing is edible - stalk to flower bulb.

The bulbs will just need more cooking.

When I cook with them, I often use the scapes (minus the bulb) in stir fries.

Robin Tyler McWaters

Thanks, HYoungJoo, Beebs and Crouching Tyler. I'll try all of your recipes. I think I'm going back to Top Banana today to load up! I also found a recipe for pesto and another one for a fritatta. I think we have a tasty, (mildly)garlicky weekend ahead of us! :biggrin:

K

• 1 month later...

I love garlic scapes, and right now I'm cooking some potatoes in order to make a potato salad dressed with a mayo/scapes/arugula dressing that smells amazing. I'm going to try roasting them tomorrow, per Abra's suggestion -- that's my favorite way to have asparagus, and it never occurred to me for scapes.

Has anyone tried pickling them? Do they stay crisp at all? I used to make a "tartar sauce" with pickled garlic, and using pickled garlic scapes might be an interesting variation.

I just spent an hour helping some friends pick the scapes off their ridiculous crop of 1200 (give or take 500) garlic plants. I was paid in scapes. I'm thinking...what about a potato leek soup but with scapes instead of leeks? This could be frozen.

Really - there are a LOT of them.

Warning. Do not try to make potato-leek soup with garlic scapes instead of leeks and expect it to be exactly the same and just as easy to make. It seemed so simple, so straightforward. How wrong I was.

Ok, so the beginning was simple. Cut scapes into 1-inch chunks, saute in butter until softened, add chicken broth and potatoes. Cook until everything is tender. So far so good. Now puree the whole mess in batches in a blender (I wanted it really smooth). Looks fine but...yikes! The scapes have these little fibrous bits that I didn't know about. It was like there was straw in the soup. I ended up having to run the whole business through a food mill to get rid of it - which worked ok, I guess. But it was a lot more fiddly than what I had been planning. I've frozen most of it - will add milk or cream when reheating.

I guess I'll appreciate it in January.

• 11 months later...
Looks fine but...yikes! The scapes have these little fibrous bits that I didn't know about.

Ok, to revive an old topic. I always seem to have the same problem with garlic scapes - what I get is fiberous and inedible - like eating the top of a stalk of lemongrass! I've tried different sizes and over multiple years, and cooked them in a variety of forms. Sometimes a portion of what I cook is ok, but I've never had a dish that didn't involve picking out tons of little twigs. If I had to guess, there might be a need to disgard some portion of the lower stalk - like mature asaragus? If so, where do you stop?

My family grows our own garlic and garlic scapes are soooo good.

The 2 main uses we have for them is sauteeing or roasting them and pureeing with olive oil.

Or pureeing without olive oil, a bit of water and seasoning and using it as a sauce in soups (yes soups!) we made a fantastic Fava bean puree/soup in a espresso cup with some drops of garlic scape essence as we call it, awesome!

I also take out the good ol mortar and pestil and just make a puree with them raw, with olive oil, S&P and that stays in the fridge for weeks! Great on fish, pasta, even bread!

• 1 year later...

Garlic scapes finally appeared at my farmers markets last week, and I've been eating a a lot of them, their season here is so short. Generally I do a quick stir fry with a bit of olive oil and salt, then eat them as a side dish or in pasta. I'm going to try the garlic scape pesto idea, that sounds really versatile. Any new ideas out there?

Last year, in desperation, I trimmed and froze a pound of them, uncooked, to see if they'd be edible. They were, a little bit on the tough side, but in January I didn't care. I'll do it again this year.

Not that I have a lot to add to this topic, but I do find that the best use of scapes is in a pesto or very finely diced or minced. And here's what they look like, in case anyone is wondering...

2010_06_11 Scapes.JPG

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Received some of these in my last CSA box. About half went into a minced pork stir fry (essentially Fuschia Dunlap’s recipe for long beans and pork with the scapes taking the place of the long beans) and the other half went into a ricotta frittata.

Received some of these in my last CSA box. About half went into a minced pork stir fry (essentially Fuschia Dunlap’s recipe for long beans and pork with the scapes taking the place of the long beans) and the other half went into a ricotta frittata.

I switch garlic scapes in for long beans when they're in season, too. I often add them into a Thai curry - I started doing in Korea, where I couldn't find long beans, but could always find scapes. It works out really well, if you aren't concerned about being authentic.

• 1 year later...

Hurray, it's that time of year again!

I picked up a small bag at the farmer's market today:

DSCF0898.JPG

and used them for a risotto.

DSCF0893.JPG

The arborio rice absorbed the flavor beautifully. A bit of parmesan and pecorino cheeses softened it just enough. Very tasty.

• 11 months later...

Cross-post from the "Chinese Cooking at Home" thread... garlic-scapes stir-fried with smoked shitake mushrooms (vegetarian variation of Stir-Fried Garlic Stems with Bacon - La Rou Chao Suan Tai - 腊肉炒蒜薹 from p206 of Fuchsia Dunlop's new cookbook).

newerfood5.jpg

The normal recipe is just garlic scapes, stir-fried in a bit of oil with thick cut Chinese bacon til tender / slightly puckered. The vegetarian variation in her cookbook is to use button mushrooms instead. I don't love button mushrooms that much, so I tried it with some shitakes which I tea-smoked and then marinated for a bit in soy sauce, water, sugar, salt, and sesame oil.

I'm not sure if these were a bit old (they're imported from Mexico, not from the farmers market), or if I just didn't trim off enough of the base, or cook them evenly enough, but some of them were cooked about as the directions stated (just tender), but others were a tiny bit tough.

Edited by Will (log)

I don't have much basis for comparison - I've worked with green garlic before, but not with scapes. After several minutes of stir-frying, some of them were somewhat tender, but a lot were still a bit tough, though not horribly fibrous.

Are these Fibrous or Tender?

I think the best comparison for garlic scape texture is to that of a green bean, but a bit firmer.

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.