• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Garlic scapes, shoots, greens

Really Nice!

I still have half a bag. What are some other ways to prepare them? Preferably something that doesn't mask or muddle the flavor.

I love garlic scapes! I make them into pesto (the last batch I made used taleggio cheese...I made a half gallon jar of it a week or so ago, then made another 1/2 gallon today). I also puree' then dry them in my dehydrator to make my own garlic scape spice so I can enjoy their flavor year round. :)

I use the garlic scape pesto in everything. I mix it with mayonaise for a delicious topping for burgers and fried fish, I fry it in a pan for omellettes, and mix it into salads (it's also the secret ingredient in my chicken salad).

If you want to know more about garlic scapes in general, read some simple recipes, as well as find out how to make your own garlic spice, dehydrate garlic scapes, etc. you might want to check out my my garlic scapes article here.

(It's on a low carb board that I moderate, but if you read the complete thread all the info is there.)

• 11 months later...

I picked up a bag of garlic shoots at the produce market yesterday. Haven't ever used them, but they looked fresh and I wanted to branch out a bit, vegetable wise. Can I treat them like leeks? Green Onions? They seem tough to simply stir fry. Any ideas?

On further searching, looks like the proper term is garlic scapes. Live and learn :smile:

Edited by tejon (log)

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

I picked up a bag of garlic shoots at the produce market yesterday. Haven't ever used them, but they looked fresh and I wanted to branch out a bit, vegetable wise. Can I treat them like leeks? Green Onions? They seem tough to simply stir fry. Any ideas?

On further searching, looks like the proper term is garlic scapes. Live and learn  :smile:

I'm new to these in the last 2 seasons myself, and in love. One thing: if you have just about any Chez Panisse cookbook you'll find some related recipes, though I must admit I haven't made any of those.

What I have done: chop into very short pieces, braise for a bit (just in water and salt), then sautee in olive oil, and sprinkle the resulting deliciousness over a late spring pot roast (already aromatic with some cinnamon mixed in with the stock/wine/etc), potatotes, gravy and baby carrots and turnips ... that made everyone, including my 12 year old step son, very happy ....

Also, last night: steamed whole curls, or scapes, or whatever they are, then used them as a decorative AND tasty element of the main course's plating -- orzo with roasted asparagus, sicilian marinated tuna (onions, oil, vinegar, sugar, mmmmmm) -- I just set the curls on the plates, all pretty, then put the other two items, neither very colorful (tuna was albacore .. and it gets cooked in that recipe) on top, and the garlic lent its beautiful green swirliness to the proceedings .. along with its aroma and taste (nearly all guests ate most of the garlic, too).

Edited by rmockler (log)

Richard W. Mockler

Seattle

I will, in fact, eat anything once.

My favorite way is to spritz them with olive oil, do the same to some fat asparagus stalks, and roast them together in a 425 oven for 15-20 minutes. Sprinkle with fleur de sel and a little fennel pollen. Eat them with your fingers.

I bet they would take well to pan roasting as well, something I like to do to asparagus. In fact, if they can be treated similarly, I have more ideas. Now, off to experiment a bit.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

One of the offerrings at my CSA today, http://www.watershedfarm.com/ , was garlic scapes, or tips/tops. Suggestions? xtra points if its a preperation that is more exciting than adding to a salad, but not demanding extended time over a hot stove.

last year I was a smarty,and grew my own(hardneck) garlick. Stirfry them scapes!!! (oyster sauce is nice)

I'm just back from my local farmer's market, where I bought fresh young garlic with greens & scapes still attached. I knew I'd find advice on EG! Now I have lots of ideas for the scapes, but does anybody have experience with the garlic itself, and the stalks?

The farmer told me it's stronger than stored garlic, no peeling required, although the stalks are milder. I'd like to do something with it that'll make garlic the star of the dish, but I'm afraid it might be overwhelming. Suggestions?

thoughts on food, writing, and everything else: Words to Eat By

Oh rats! I just snapped a bunch of these off my garlic plants last week!

Now I find I could have eaten them.

:sad:

Well, there's always next year.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I bought a big old bag of scapes this weekend - first time for me. I thought they tasted delightful raw - so I made a giant batch of hummus with some of them last night. While it was tasty (and almost completely consumed by us and our guests), I detected a little "green bitterness" - not sure how else to describe it.

I believe I will roast the rest of the bag in bacon drippings tonight. If I like that preparation as much as I think I will, next time I make hummus out of scapes I'll just roast them first.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

thank youall for your comments and links. I used them in a stir fry w/ baby bok choy, but I'm all prepared, hopefully they will be an offerring this week at the farm. thanks again for your help.

not the quickest easiest recipe but not too time consuming either - i recently made this for a wine gathering based on sauv blanc.

garlic soup

poach the young garlic (I had a bunch of ~6 stems) in a light veggie broth (mine was lots of celery, some parsley stems, an onion, some peppercorns and the peel of a lemon) along with a small potato. Season, puree along with one raw garlic clove and half a raw shallot and adjust the seasoning (you could strain it here too). Toast a piece of bread, rub a garlic clove all over it and schmear with brebis (a young goat cheese could work too). Put the crostone at the bottom of a wide bowl, pour hot soup over top and enjoy (with a sancerre or any other sb which tickles your fancy)

"There never was an apple, according to Adam, that wasn't worth the trouble you got into for eating it"

-Neil Gaiman

I got busy doing something and totally overcooked them when I roasted them last night. I guess I was thinking "garlic, it's hard to over-roast it" and didn't check it often enough. Word to the wise: they get mighty tough when overcooked in the oven :sad:

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

This page has quite a few good photos. dakota garlic

thanks for this link, they are using one of our photos and didn't even ask! I've emailed them a friendly reminder.

another garlic scape use I ate at a restaurant last week: part of a fritto misto (I hope I spelled that correctly.) The garlic scapes were a bit strong, I would blanch it first maybe? or just roast them for a nother dish and keep the asparagus and squash blossom as part of the f. misto.

cg

• 1 year later...