• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Italian in Ridgewood - any good?

chefdavidrusso

don't waste your time on bad food. in fact, i can't think of many italian restaurants that aren't a waste of time in northern NJ. there just aren't any Lupas or Babbos or Felidias in northern jersey (and very few anywhere from what i can tell).

however, i'm keen on returning to La Cambusa, although it gets mixed reviews.

Do Indian instead...Mela is very good. Have tried Mara's for Italian, BYO. If you stick with the specials menu it is not bad...not great. Decent I would say. Went to that California Kitchen restaurant...god awful. Tried a couple more Italian rest. in Ridgewood...don't remember the names..they were terrible! For us, Ridgewood is for Indian.

I think we have discussed this at length, even did a thread on why Italian restaurants in the US are generally bad; I agree-- In Ridgewood, I like Joel's Malibu ALOT, Latour is good on occasion, but not great; Have you thought of trying Harvest Bistro in Closter? (Highly acclaimed recently in the NY Times) and also a place just over the border in Sparkill, NY called Relish (Also a good review in the NY Times.)

• 2 weeks later...
there just aren't any Lupas or Babbos or Felidias in northern jersey (and very few anywhere from what i can tell).

I'm not really hoping for (or expecting) Babbo or Felidia...if I wanted that I'd just go into the city. I'm not looking for transcendant....I'm looking for decent "neighborhood" Italian food that's close to home. If any of you have ever by chance ventured to Evanston IL, I'm looking for this area's answer to Dave's Italian Kitchen.

Of course, it doesn't have to be in Ridgewood. I just noticed that there are alot of Italian restaurants in town and was wondering about them.

Nothing says I love you like a homemade salami

I think we have discussed this at length, even did a thread on why Italian restaurants in the US are generally bad;  I agree-

If I see this topic again or hear any more bitching about how all the Bergen County Italian restaurants are glorified red-sauce pizza places one more time, I'm going to brutally assault someone and I refuse to be held responsible or personally accountable for anyone's hospitalization.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

there just aren't any Lupas or Babbos or Felidias in northern jersey (and very few anywhere from what i can tell).

I'm not really hoping for (or expecting) Babbo or Felidia...if I wanted that I'd just go into the city. I'm not looking for transcendant....I'm looking for decent "neighborhood" Italian food that's close to home.

fair enough. but if you don't want to waste your time on bad food, don't.

i can only recommend La Cambusa in ridgewood.

i will also add that i had a second excellent past dish at Terraza's (sp?) in Nutley recently. i've always figured this place would be pretty lame, but i've been really impressed with the pasta. it's no Babbo, but it's pretty damned good. nutley isn't all that far from bergen county. about 15 minutes from paramus.

edit: when i say "second excellent dish" i mean that it was my second time there and it was my second pasta dish and both were excellent. :wacko:

Edited by tommy (log)

i can only recommend La Cambusa in ridgewood.

Thanks...we'll check it out.

Terraza's (sp?) in Nutley...isn't all that far from bergen county. about 15 minutes from paramus.

That's what I love about this area. Everything is 15 minutes from everything else. We'll hit that one too

Thanks for the info.

That's what I love about this area.  Everything is 15 minutes from everything else.

Funny thing is, for years my crowd has always joked that everything in NJ is about 20 minutes from everything else--no matter what the starting point is! Then again, I grew up in Morris Cty; maybe we needed the extra 5 b/c we were (then) way out in the country? :smile:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Funny thing is, for years my crowd has always joked that everything in NJ is about 20 minutes from everything else--no matter what the starting point is!  Then again, I grew up in Morris Cty; maybe we needed the extra 5 b/c we were (then) way out in the country?  :smile:

I speed.

Oh, I do too...believe me!! But I've always used a headset on my cell, so at least I don't have to worry about being pulled over for THAT too. :biggrin:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."