• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tarka in Chicago

I've been here, went on Friday night...I want to try some more Vietnamese before I comment though.

Have you taken a trip to the north side and visited the Argyle neighborhood? You can try some more Vietnamese there. It's a like a mini Saigon.

:biggrin:

Everything on yellow truffle's list is golden, Tarka. I'd like to add Pasteur, on Broadway on the North Side, to the list: another place for impeccable Vietnamese.

How'd you like NoMI?

*Edited to correct hasty misspelling.*

ty, Lady T. And yes of course on adding Pasteur to the list.

Might I add another. The longest lasting Filipino restaurant in Chicago is Little Quipo. Located in the north side, this family owned establishment has been serving Filipino's and lovers of Philippine food since the late 70's. Be warned, it's kind of a dive, but the food is great.

... That said, I think the American palate might be less tolerant to spicy food than the English one...the very spicy prawn vindaloo was, to me, more fragrant and hot, than really, really spicy. Which is possibly a good thing...

IMHO, I find the spiciest vindaloo can be found in same area at a place on Devon called Ghandi.

The longest lasting Filipino restaurant in Chicago is Little Quipo. Located in the north side, this family owned establishment has been serving Filipino's and lovers of Philippine food since the late 70's. Be warned, it's kind of a dive, but the food is great.

I am guessing that you are refering to Little Quiapo, on Clark street just North of Montrose. The food is great and yes it is a dive. 15 years ago I had my first encounter with them at the Taste of Chicago, and it was a revelation. This was back when the Taste included the little guys and variety.

I second the vote for Pasteur.

Give MOD a try in Wicker Park. They have a new chef and he is definitely a top notch guy. Can you beat $3 MARTINI MONDAY???!!!!

Patrick Sheerin

The longest lasting Filipino restaurant in Chicago is Little Quipo. Located in the north side, this family owned establishment has been serving Filipino's and lovers of Philippine food since the late 70's. Be warned, it's kind of a dive, but the food is great.

I am guessing that you are refering to Little Quiapo, on Clark street just North of Montrose. The food is great and yes it is a dive. 15 years ago I had my first encounter with them at the Taste of Chicago, and it was a revelation. This was back when the Taste included the little guys and variety.

Yes, that's is exactly what I meant. Sorry for the wrong spelling (I tried to edit, but it would not let me, probably waited too long). If you remember them from the Taste way back when, then you might have seen working there (4 years straight, and so much fun). I was the punk who would take the longest breaks and hang out with other restaurants and get lots of comps, lol. And you're right, the Taste now has become corporate and banal, IMHO.

I feel bad. I have been neglecting my diary. This is because I went back to London for the weekend.

My top tip of the day is that five 'ritas (no matter how high quality) is not a good idea after an 8 hour flight, a Barry Manilow concert and lunch at a 2* restaurant.

And I am going to Moto tonight.

*makes nest under desk to have nap*

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

Everything on yellow truffle's list is golden, Tarka. I'd like to add Pasteur, on Broadway on the North Side, to the list: another place for impeccable Vietnamese.

How'd you like NoMI?

is there a bar near here that anyone would recommend by any chance?

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

Blogito ergo sum

Near Pasteur? That's pretty near the Green Mill, which is one of the best "destination" bars in Chicago IMO. It also has some pretty interesting history. Al Capone used to drink there (and, unlike a lot of places here that make the same claim, they have the pictures to prove it). I'd recommend it very highly.

Pretty good blurb here. Looks like its about 7 blocks away from Pasteur.

Edited by VeryApe77 (log)

Everything on yellow truffle's list is golden, Tarka.  I'd like to add Pasteur, on Broadway on the North Side, to the list: another place for impeccable Vietnamese.

How'd you like NoMI?

is there a bar near here that anyone would recommend by any chance?

i know where you can get crack cocaine near the restaurant (in my former neighbors apartment :wacko: ) but there really aren't any good bars close by. I would recommend going to simon's, which is on clark, in the 5200 block. you can't miss it, their sign has a picture of a herring drinking a martini. it's about 6 blocks from the pastuer.

the green mill is a great bar, al capone not only drank there but owned it. they feature live jazz nightly, starting at around 9 (?). also close to pastuer is the edgewater beach apartments where the 3 stooges used to have a place. back in the day a cubs player was shot there by his girlfriend.

recently i noticed a restaurant a couple blocks south a pastuer which features a bosnian-mexican menu :blink:

So I just started this thread on another board. Can you guess which Chicago restaurants I am talking about?

Solo diners of the world unite

Hehe, I think I know :cool:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

it's on my list. as is sugar. thanks for the reminder!

The Peninsula Hotel has a Vosges chocolate boutique. Try it. Don't know if the chocolate buffet is in the bar. Last time I was in the bar - it was the only place in the public inside spaces of the hotel where one could smoke (everything - including cigars). I seem to recall you don't like smoking - so I thought I'd mention it. Robyn

Vosges doesn't do the buffet - in fact when we went, we asked them about it and all they knew was that it was not something of theirs. :)

The buffet isn't in the bar, it's in "The Lobby" which may be the most descriptive name for the location of a hotel eatery yet.

Have the hot white chocolate with lavendar.

--adoxograph

I don't rate Vosges to be honest. I went to their store in NY and while they are beautiful I didn't think the chocolate was very good.

Chicago is the original. And I know it's good (my husband bought some for me this week). Can't vouch for the satellite locations. Robyn

isn't that a bit like saying that jaques torres chocolate bought in brooklyn is better than jaques torres chocolate bought anywhere else?

i just don't think their couverture is very high quality and personally didn't enjoy it. that doesn't stop anyone else enjoying them. they are beautiful, have very innovative fillings and the shop is so cute it's unreal...but i wouldn't buy the chocolates.

now, i didn't notice when i wandered past the store, but do they have a small cafe in the store like in NY? that might be worth a visit.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

Blogito ergo sum

:cool:

In any case, ma'am: did you get to Pasteur? What did you think?

And did anyone mention, on the subject of chocolate, that there's a Ghirardelli shop just west of Michigan by the Water Tower not far from you (at least, I think it's still there!), where the hot chocolate is very good -- not Valrhona, to be sure, but very good -- the loitering is easy, and the people-watching is outstanding?

:wink:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

isn't that a bit like saying that jaques torres chocolate bought in brooklyn is better than jaques torres chocolate bought anywhere else?

i just don't think their couverture is very high quality and personally didn't enjoy it. that doesn't stop anyone else enjoying them. they are beautiful, have very innovative fillings and the shop is so cute it's unreal...but i wouldn't buy the chocolates.

now, i didn't notice when i wandered past the store, but do they have a small cafe in the store like in NY? that might be worth a visit.

I guess it depends whether the chocolate is made in one location - or more than one. I always assumed that companies with a few stores scattered around the US (or the world) made their wares locally - but I'm not sure. The place where I shopped in Chicago was a small boutique inside the hotel. I can't recall whether it had any tables or chairs. Robyn

tarka,

what's on your schedule for the weekend? i'm having such a ball reading your blog and eating chicago vicariously through you. i went to school there and will be back for a wedding in august...your blog solidified my resolve to eat at spring :wub: so thank you!

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train