• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Biscuitville

pennbrew

Why not forsake the large fast food chains entirely and try Sunrise Biscuit Kitchen on E. Franklin St. in Chapel Hill, its only a little over a mile from the I-40/85 exit and their biscuits are nice and fluffy.

William McKinney aka "wcmckinney"

Unfortunately the Biscuit King closed earlier this year but I believe you can still get similar food from Charlie's Bar and Grill nearby

http://indyweek.com/durham/2004-03-03/porch.html

Perhaps Biscuitville's biscuits are less greasy than Bojangles--I think that varies from location to location but I'm not really sure I can say as I generally throw out the grease-o-meter when getting biscuits. Seems to me it's hard to go too wrong with a ham biscuit from either one. I will, however, nominate Big Ed's in Raleigh for having the worst biscuits. Old biscuits reheated on the grill---yuck.

Edited by Guilty Gourmand (log)

Oh no! Biscuit King closed? Man, when I went to the NC School of Science and Math in Durham, I practically lived on their biscuits (and fresh fruit from Wellspring Grocery, back when it was basically a greengrocer and was sited in the little space where Magnolia Grill is now.)

Well, another piece of Ninth Street history gone. I guess you really can't go home again.

As far as chains go, I vote for Bojangles over Biscuitville.

If you make it as far as Chapel Hill, I second Mr. McKinney's recommendation for Sunrise Biscuit Kitchen. I also think Time Out Chicken-and-Biscuits is still in operation on West Franklin Street--best chicken biscuit at 2AM that you'll ever find.

enrevanche <http://enrevanche.blogspot.com>

Greenwich Village, NYC

The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not.

- Mark Twain

time out- that's a trip down memory lane. agree about the chicken biscuit there-and it has to be after drinking at he's not here and about 2 am. the staff behind the counter would harass us as they took our orders. biscuitville is also a memory- i'd skip 3rd period study hall to go to biscuitville and drink coffee- great ham biscuit- not greasy like bojangles.

Edited by mighty quinn (log)

"Ham isn't heroin..." Morgan Spurlock from "Supersize Me"