• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mexican Food ingredients in Seattle

Hello all,

Going to Seattle in two weeks and will need to stock up on a few ingredients. Since we won't have a car and will be staying in Belltown/Pike Place area, can anyone recommend places to buy fresh tortillas and cheeses close by? Any good latino markets, even a little ways out of town that I need to visit?

Muchas gracias!

Shelora

Just curious, where are you coming from? Coming to Seattle to buy fresh tortillas and (Mexican?) cheeses seems to be an unusual quest. :smile: Mexican cusisine is usually a staple of any city, regardless of size or region, and these items should readily be available.

However, if you're in the pike place area, there's a Mexican store on Pike Place next to Frank's Produce. Frank's is across the street from those fish abusers, I mean, the Fish throwing place.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. I live in Victoria, canada and try to obtain ingredients for my kitchen whereever I go.

I cannot get good (in my opinion) tortillas in my hometown, since Seattle is on our itinerary I thought I would ask the gulletters for any tips on shopping.

I would make a trip for a must-see if it wasn't too far out of town. I do know the place you speak about in the Pike Place and a little further down the street, I recall a woman making good tortillas and cheeses. I am looking for queso fresco, chiles (good quality) and tortillas. I'm bringing a cooler.

I have placed this request on the Mexico forum as well.

Hope to hear from anyone else out there.

Shelora

I don't think the place towards the North end makes tortillas though they sell them. Good spot for a cheap lunch to go though.

I can't recall who or where - someone was telling about a place up North (Aurora? Shoreline? Lynnwood?) that makes tortillas and more. I looked through a thread or two, to no avail. Author, please chime in!

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. I live in Victoria, canada and try to obtain ingredients for my kitchen whereever I go.

I cannot get good (in my opinion) tortillas in my hometown, since Seattle is on our itinerary I thought I would ask the gulletters for any tips on shopping.

I would make a trip for a must-see if it wasn't too far out of town. I do know the place you speak about in the Pike Place and a little further down the street, I recall a woman making good tortillas and cheeses. I am looking for queso fresco, chiles (good quality) and tortillas. I'm bringing a cooler.

I have placed this request on the Mexico forum as well.

Hope to hear from anyone else out there.

Shelora

La Carta de Oaxaca might be able to help. Here's a review of the restaurant. They're in Ballard.

And then there's Sergios Mexican Restaurant in Fremont.

You might want to contact these places to see if they'll sell you fresh tortillas.

For queso fresco, try Beechers, also on Pike Place and under Sur La Table. They *might* be making it. If not, try Di Laurenti's in the Market.

For chiles go to the place next to Franks Produce. I walked by there last week and it looked like they had about 10 different varieties.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

In the Pike Place Market, besides the store next to Frank's, there is also The Mexican Grocery, a few doors north of Starbucks on Pike Place. I especially love their fresh salsas.

And then there's Sergios Mexican Restaurant in Fremont.

where is sergio's, really nice? there was a very good little mexican place next to torrefazione right on the fremont side of the bridge. they made their own tortillas and i was impressed with fish tacos and other treats. it's gone now. it's becoming bandeleone. i'm a little disappointed about that since while i always thought bandeleone had potential - the service and kitchen issues made the place too unreliable for my dollars.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

You guys are the best!!! Thanks for all the info. Especially the review for La Carta de Oaxaca - I hope to get there, Oaxaca is the food I love the most!!

I should be able to come home with skads of food and good tequila!

I love Seattle!

Shelora