• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yuengling Light Lager

cdh

Just picked up a case of Yuengling Light Lager, which despite the "light" in its name, used to be a pretty good beer. This stuff that I brought home yesterday would have trouble standing up to seltzer water. The beer used to have both a good hop profile and a bit of malt character. Both are missing in this case... as is some of the carbonation I'd remembered... this is like a two-day-open seltzer bottle.

Am I imagining things (like it was ever good), or did this beer really slide over the past year?

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Yuengling light is a sub-par example of yuengling brews in general...like it was stated..Yuengling light tastes like a watered down Lager..yuck. I have tasted every variety of Yuengling and the Light is by far the worst tasting to me also. The black and tan and the regular lager are always in stock in my fridge and always very tastey...but when a light beer is desired I stay clear of Yuengling.

Be careful in your terminology-- there are two Yuengling products with "Light" in their names-- the "Light Lager" of which I'm speaking, and the "Premium Light", which, a year or more ago when I tried it, struck me as watery and pretty bad.

The good thing about the Light Lager was that it was only slightly lightened, and retained a lot of good beer characteristics. It worked as a great counterpoint beer when one of my homebrews wasn't what I felt like drinking.

Maybe all this is just a relative perception thing with me, since I've been drinking my way through a batch of homebrewed Trippel style beer this spring, and last year I was drinkning homebrewed Wit. Maybe the much richer and heavier beer outshines its counterpoint beer this year. But I still would like to think that it was a better beer that has slid downhill...

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

• 1 month later...

I've tried the light lager, and always thought it had a weird taste to it. This was enough that I elected to just stick with regular lager or black and tan. The regular Yuengling premium ligh isn't bad i guess, just tastes watered down is all.

"yes i'm all lit up again"