• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese restaurants

BeaChambers

Quote: from jsibley on 8:20 am on Feb. 5, 2002

Does anyone know anything about Tawaraya in Paramus? A friend mentioned it and I was wondering if it was any good (I heard the service was pretty bad, but that the food might be good).

After reading this thread and the "If I were a rich..." one on the General Board, I was in the mood for sushi, so we decided to go back to Tawaraya last night. We had a pretty wide variety of dishes and sushi as they have quite an extensive menu. The sushi was very good. We asked the guys at the bar what was fresh and we ordered a couple pieces of white tuna, striped bass, fluke, eel. Everything was quite fresh.

We also had a few small dishes/appetizers of Sesame Spinach, Beef Tataki, Daikon Salad, Wasabi Meatballs. All were very good, although I didn't care for the raw onions with the grilled beef. The Chanpon noodle soup was delicious. The only bad note was the heavy shrimp tempura.

There appeared to be only one waitress on duty in a restaurant with various areas that hid her from view on occasion. We were in the main dining area, which was pretty deserted, and so had to flag her down on her trips between the tatami rooms, kitchen and back booths.

Like I said, they have a very extensive menu, but the fact that the tempura was poorly executed would have me sticking to the sushi, salads and soups and grilled dishes. It is a rather simply decorated space, but pleasant and quiet.

There are actually three locations, although we've only been to the one in Paramus:

Tawara, 53 W. Main St, Ramsey, 201-825-8712

Tawara Restaurant, Bar & Karaoke, 2075 Hamburg Tpke, Wayne, 973-616-7121

Tawaraya, Bergen Mall East Arcade, Paramus, 201-843-0133

• 1 year later...
Quote: from ELA on 3:30 pm on Sep. 19, 2001

I never tried, or heard of for that matter, this place in Teaneck. That's kind of rare too. LOL.<p>In Teaneck, although I haven't been in a while, I use to go to East, on Teaneck Road. Are they still open? I thought I heard someone say they weren't open. They have multiple locations too.

<p>East has recently re-opened as a "kaiten" style sushi place, aka conveyor-belt or sushi boat style that is very popular in Tokyo or in California. Inexpensive and very good, since the place is very busy and nothing sits on that conveyor for too long.

I'd like to add that East's fish quality has gone down quite a bit in the last year and their service can only be categorized now as horrendously bad. Both of the last two times I've gone have been very negative experiences.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Here's a thread about some hardcore sushi restaurants in the Fort Lee area:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...=0entry457559

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 2 months later...

Had an excellent meal at JoSho in Somerset the other night. The sushi was very fresh. The highlight of the meal for me were the appetizers we ordered. The agedofu was amazing. The tofu was perfect. We also ordered spicy scallops.

For anyone who hasn't been here, they have a whole menu of appetizers. Josho is BYOB.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yamaguchi in Ft Lee was very very good. However, I went just a few weeks ago and there's a sign on the door that says closed for renovation. Yet, there is also a huge sign on the window that says the space is available for lease, call hotel manager. Ack! :shock: If anyone knows of the true fate of Yamaguchi's I'd love to know especially if they're going to open up elsewhere. :biggrin: However, I would not be surprised if they're out of business. When the Japanese economy declined, the Ft Lee area lost a of Japanese families (moved back) and traveling businessmen. I remember the restaurant used to be packed and it's never been quite the same since though quality was still mmmmmmm.

• 1 month later...

Ajian Rte 22W 908-353-2230

Daimatsu -Mountainside 908- 233-7888

Both are owned by the sushi chef and they know how to keep the customers happy. They serve the tastiest sushi and sashimi. Service at Daimatsu can get slow, but not sloppy, especially on weekends due to its thriving take out business. I suggest Daimatsu on weeknights, Ajian on weekends. Both are BYO.

I have tried Fuji, Fujiyama Mama, Arirang and Sono in Millburn and they are not up to par. Both are BYO.

Cirilo

"There is something uncanny in the noiseless rush of the cyclist, as he comes into view, passes by, and disappears."

Popular Science, 1891

• 1 year later...

Minado is my favorite sushi place too. Although the one in Morris Plains is even nicer. (Although a bit of a ride from Bergen County. ) Apparently there is a chain of similar Japanese buffet restaurants under the name Todai, but none in NJ. There is one in White Plains, NY, and maybe one day I'll get there to try it. It will be interesting to comapre the two!

Edited by zhelder (log)

Illuzion in Hoboken, NJ is excellent. I have had the sushi there and a few of the appetizers all of which are excellent and fresh with great service in a cool atmosphere. Details are as follows:

Address - 337 Washington St, Hoboken, New Jersey ( NJ ) 07030

Telephone - (201) 418-8833

If you make it there, please let us know what you think.

Mynew Japanese friends recommend the following restaurants.

Ajian- Rt. 22W, Watchung

Sono- Millburn

Tomo- South Orange Ave., S. Orange<p>I like all 3 also and I also like Yuki-Hana (Madison)<p>Tomo is an experience. It looks like a dump and I only went in because it was recommended by 2 different Japanese people. It is tiny (maybe 5 tables-I will count next trip) and no sushi bar. <p>I cannot pick a favorite from the above.

We have been to Minado in Morris Plains pretty regularly and I do like it very much- I think the sushi is good and fresh but not of the absolute highest quality- but you do get more bang for your buck there. Actually my favorite dishes are the beef tataki and a salmon in cilantro sauce, which I could eat by the plateful. I have never seen lobster, though plenty of shrimp and crab claws. I love to go there with a big group because they can accomodate you so easily. In most other places in Morris county, a party of 10-12 will pretty much take over the restaurant.

These are my favorites from the restaurant....(in no particular order)

- Edamame

- Akamiso Soup - Just like miso soup but better

- Grilled Shrimp Appetizer with Avocado dipping sauce

- Clown Roll

- Shrimp Cucumber Roll

- Beef Negimyaki Appetizer - Delicious!!!

Enjoy and tell me what you think!!!

I aways wondered about Illuzion Ill have to put it on my list.  What did you have Jrichman that you liked.