• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[SEA] Good deals on wine

The 4th Ave South Costco in Seattle has the Bodegas Norton Malbec for $6/bottle which is less than half the price I've typcially seen it for. This is an Argentinian red that I like very much. Sorry for the wine-geek-speak, but....very smooth on the palate with rich taste (dark cherry, stone-fruits).

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Costco can be a great hidden treasure. If you're ever near the Issaquah store stop by there. They tend to have an upscale selection because their "world?" headquarters is located there, and darn if those suits don't like fine wines. I've purchased Penfolds Grange, Lafite Rothschild, and a few other notables from that location at prices much lower than I've found on the Internet.

Other places I like for purchasing wines, either for value or finding rare stuff, include:

Larry's on Queen Anne.

QFC at the U-district.

Champion Wine on Denny and First. If you're into Bordeaux, this is the place to buy.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Thanks for the tips RN. Maybe we could all continue to use this thread to bring up particularly good wine values that we find at Costco, or elsewhere for that matter.

I've never been to Champion (Bordeaux's aren't usually in the budget :wink:), but I'd like to check it out.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

I've never been to Champion (Bordeaux's aren't usually in the budget  :wink:), but I'd like to check it out.

After moving downtown, I stumbled upon it one day while crusing around in my Vespa. I found that I can carry seven 750ml bottles in the seat! :laugh:

I don't know what your price point is, but they do have many bottles under $30. They also have a good selection of 375ml bottles. I like these because they're great for a dinner for two and they also tend to mature earlier than larger formats.

They also have a wide selection of Washington State wines including many that I have not heard of before.

Oh, another place is Spanish Table. A great selection of Spanish and Portuguese wines at relatively good value.

Pete's in Bellevue, I'm told, maintains the lowest markup of wines in the area.

Speaking of particularly good wine values:

This past weekend I did a little wine shopping. I was at the U-district QFC and picked up Masi Campofiorin (a ripassa-style valpolicela) for $14.99.

Now if you want to work a little for your wine, sign up at one of the local wineries to volunteer to assist in bottling. Last week I helped at DeLille and got a bottle of 2002 Chaluer Estate Red for free. This bottle is a $60+ value once it's in the stores. I'm not sure if they're taking on more volunteers, but I think Matthews is. You work hard, and by the end of the day you get a peek as to how you'll feel 40 years from now, :raz: but it's worth it.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

a hearty second for the Leschi Mart. 10% off if you buy 6 bottles (as opposed to a case).

same for the PCC.

I'm fond of the Metropolitan Market selection, if a little less so the prices...

and if you buy wine on the web:

Sams Liquor Warehouse

(Full disclosure, I have a brother who works there (and one who just left), but it was my favorite back when I lived in Chicago long before they joined the team)

They're a great spirits supplier as well; useful to those such as myself who fondly recall the non-state stores of more civilized states...

Cheers!

cg

"...plant a tree for Cesar"

--M.F.K. Fisher

Speaking of particularly good wine values:

This past weekend I did a little wine shopping. I was at the U-district QFC and picked up Masi Campofiorin (a ripassa-style valpolicela) for $14.99.

I love that Masi Camporfiorin so I stopped in the QFC today. Let me just say that their wine guy bradley was a gem! He made me a great deal on 5 bottles of wine. Who does that anymore?! And he knows his stuff!

I love that Masi Camporfiorin so I stopped in the QFC today. Let me just say that their wine guy bradley was a gem! He made me a great deal on 5 bottles of wine. Who does that anymore?! And he knows his stuff!

I'm particularly fond of Masi as I spent my 40th birthday at their vineyards (actually at the Serego Alighieri estate) outside Verona, Italy.

I really enjoyed their Toar with pizza, and I have a friend who loves their Osar. These are two wines you normally can't find in the states, but thank goodness for wine-searcher.com!

It was my first time in that QFC and I really enjoyed meeting Bradley. Very gentlemanly and you're right, he know's his stuff. I bought eight bottles: 4 Niebaum-Coppola Cabernet Franc, 2 Masi Campofiorin, and 2 1927 Alvear Grande Soleras. He gave me a 15 percent discount on the NC and 10 percent on the others.

I noticed they had a couple bottles of 1999 Penfolds Grange for $225 each. This is the cheapest I've seen it (haven't been to Costco lately). I might return to QFC this weekend and see what kind of discount he can offer on those.

Drink!

Maybe we could all continue to use this thread to bring up particularly good wine values that we find at Costco, or elsewhere for that matter.

After making an appearance at the Whole Foods grand opening in Bellevue (strange, no one wanted my autograph :angry: ) I went Pete's in Bellevue. Found two very good purchases.

Luna Vineyards 2000 Merlot, $25.99. Luna is in the Stag's Leap District in Napa Valley and is located on the south end of The Silverado Trail. This wine came to me as a recommendation from someone at work. I've never been able to find it here, but we did see it on the menu at The Grill at Hacienda Del Sol in Tucson, Arizona in April. I liked it so much that I got online and ordered a case of it from Luna that very night. They charged $32 a bottle. The Web site states, "The wine is a meal in itself," and they are right. I'm glad to see a Seattle distributor picked it up here.

Ristow, Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley Quinta de Pedras Vineyard 2000. According to James Laube, Wine Speculator: 91 points - Enticing, floral, spice and cassis scents lead to a rich, supple, elegant yet concentrated wine, with a pretty array of herb, currant and blackberry flavors. Finishes with fine grained tannins and fresh earth and herbal flavors. Best from 2005 through 2012. Wine Spectator Weekly, Internet Only, August 28, 2003.

I've been building a vertical of this wine for a couple years now. I first had the 1997 and thought that this was on par with Château Saint Jean Cinq Cépages of the same vintage. That's when I started looking for other vintages.

This wine is usually listed around $70 a bottle. Occasionally you'll see it in the low 60s when it is on sale. Pete's has it for $34 a bottle!! This is an incredible steal so get it while you can.

Drink!

• 2 weeks later...

I am a little tardy in my appreciation but Mr. White Lotus really liked the Bodegas Norton Malbec. Thanks Tighe for the tip. We look forward to more of your thoughts on great wines for those of us on a budget. Take care... :rolleyes:

I am a little tardy in my appreciation but Mr. White Lotus really liked the Bodegas Norton Malbec. Thanks Tighe for the tip. We look forward to more of your thoughts on great wines for those of us on a budget. Take care... :rolleyes:

Glad he liked it. I stocked up, so hopefully there was enough left. :wink: I'm an unabashed drinker of cheap wines, and am always happy to share my thoughts on which of them are actually good. Believe me, I've waded through enough swill to have some idea!

tighe,

Bodegas Norton Malbec was great buy. Even though I am not much of a Summer red wine drinker I picked 3 or 4 bottles to test. So far have tried two and sent one over to the neighbor who likes cheap red wine. Think I have him weaned of the three-buck Chuck red.

dave

There's another good find at Costco, 2001 Penfolds Bin 389 Shiraz. It's $18, about $6 less than elsewhere. This wine is made in barrels that held the previous year's Penfolds Grange.

It's amazing what this bottle unleashes after you have decanted it for about 2 hours. Give it a try.

Drink!

Really Nice, thanks for your in-depth descriptions.

I'm not a big American wine drinker. I've just returned from Napa were I had some friends try to change my mind. I found the Zinfandel by Frank Family Cellars to be much more complex and mellow than most of the others we tasted in the area. If any of you have a chance please pick it up and post what you think.

Edited by matsutakekichigai (log)

• 3 months later...

Esquin wines on 4th and Lander has Ironstone Cabernet Franc on sale for $6.99 a bottle / $83.88 case through the end of November. This very good wine is marked down 42% from the regular price ($11.99).

A spectacular value! Rich black cherry and smoke aromas, bold and penetrating on the palate, with a chewy character, reminiscent of a Chinon from the Loire Valley.

Ever since Parker 'discovered' Crocker & Starr Cabernet Franc, which then caused a 150% jump in price, this has become my favorite CF.

Drink!

• 4 weeks later...

Last weekend the Tukwilla Costco had bottles of Table Red for $6.99. It's probably the best bottle of $7 red I've had in a long time. A blend of melot with a little cab and syrah. I think it is produced by K Vineyards and probably won't last long. Larry's may also be carrying but I doubt at that price.

dave