• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Does rum producers use chill filtering?

Mickeman

Some components in whisky are responsible for the whisky becoming cloudy when the whisky cools on the addition of cold water or ice. Although these components add to the complexity of the whisky's aromas and flavours, they are often removed by chilling the whisky and filtering before bottling.

Is it the same with rum and does rum producers use cold filtering?

If it is the same with rum, does any rum destillers state if their bottlings are chill filtered or not?

The larger rum producers do cold filter their rum. The bigger problem is that solids sometimes percipitate when exposed to cold temperatures, which can occur not only when the spirit is exposed to ice but also cold temperatures during shipping. Bacardi, Mount Gay and Angostura cold filter to name a few but there are others.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

problem is that solids sometimes percipitate when exposed to cold temperatures, which can occur not only when the spirit is exposed to ice but also cold temperatures during shipping.

I am not sure about rum, but in whisky it is the fat which makes the spirit go cloudy.

I don't know of any fatty solids in rum, but one of the biggest differences between rum and other spirits is that rum is made from a wash that is fermented directly from the sucrose stored in the sugar cane plant. In the whisky making process, glucose is changed to sucrose by the addition of enzymes and cooking then cooking the wash. There are however, small concentrations of fusel oils in some rums.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.