• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hello Chef

My name is Ben and I am a 14 year old who is very interested in cooking and baking and possibly becoming a proffessional when I am older. I recently attended a one week baking camp at Kendall College that fueled my interest in baking incredibly. However now, as I look for ways to further my baking education, I find nothing.

All I can find is baking classes and competitions for college students, or for children half my age.

Any ideas on what I could do?

Thanks!

~Ben Wilcox

Some people say the glass is half empty, others say it is half full, I say, are you going to drink that?

Ben Wilcox

benherebfour@gmail.com

I suggest that you go to the library, get the April 2004 issue of Gourmet magazine and read a brief article on Page 49 about Chef Govind Armstrong.

He was only 13 when Wolfgang Puck gave him a summer job at Spago in 1982 after seeing photos of hors d'oeuvres he made for his mother's parties.

In high school he worked at City Restaurant for Susan Feniger and Mary Sue Milliken.

He recently opened his own restaurant in L.A.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Thankyou for the advice. What I've been thinking about is asking for a job at a local bakery........washing dishes for free in exchange for being able to learn.

I'll do anything :biggrin:

Any advice chef?

~Ben

Some people say the glass is half empty, others say it is half full, I say, are you going to drink that?

Ben Wilcox

benherebfour@gmail.com

I forgot to mention one thing: Its odd that you mention that because I subscribe to Gourmet and must have completely missed it. Thanks for the advice!

Ben Wilcox

benherebfour@gmail.com

Dear Ben,

Thanks for the question. If you haven't yet done so, have a look at a question and answer in this series under the heading "Sweet beginnings" . What I said there is probably what I would say to you......

I'm a big believer in first hand experience and learning things on the job, and that kind of go-getter kind of enthousiasm means more to me than a lot of what I see on a lot of peoples' transcripts, for too many people are much better at writing transcripts then they are at peeling apples and sweeping floors. If you can, find yourself a job and work like a slave, but make sure that your chef keeps up her/his share of the bargain. By this I don't mean lots of money, but some attention and clear, careful answers to questions. I used to find lots of quality time when I came in early or stayed a bit late. There are less people around, and the chef will appreciate the favor and enjoy the company. Another thing is that if you read up on things, you will ask better questions which will solicit better answers.

A lot of tough-sounding older hard core type have a more tender side, but don't always show it. I remember going to the chef's office once to complain, asking:, " why do you always get on MY case? You never do it to anyone else" and the answer came back: " You're the only one who is worth the trouble".

Best of luck

James

Chef,

Thankyou so much for your answers in both questions.

I really cannot express my gratitude, you have inspired me greatly.

~Ben

Ben Wilcox

benherebfour@gmail.com