• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ahhhh. It's Fri. 2/15

Rosie

Hi Rosie, we went to Mahal in Lincoln Park for Val Day, and they had a real nice special menu, but alas, my wife wanted her chicken korma, so...  We are going to Bella Rosa in East Hanover tonight with a group, and Saturday night the plan is to go to The French Quarter in Wayne with a guy I used to work with, and his wife.  We were at Opah Grille about 6 months ago, and were favorably impressed.

Taking the train up to Woodbridge on Sunday afternoon for a long lunch at Mie Thai.

Psssssssssssssssst!!!    Ahhh.....

Then maybe a couple beers at the Brewpub across the street.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Let me know about The French Quarter. Never been. Bella Rosa can get noisy on a Sat. night. BYO.

Sorry to butt in here..  but I've been to French Quarter and the food was fantastic but the ambience was lacking.  There was no background music or anything and the only other couple in the whole place kept laughing at what WE were talking about.  Hopefully, on busier nights that's not such a problem.

Parsley & Rosemary in Riverdale on Friday night for a delayed Valentine's Day dinner.

For the actual Valentine's night, Dee worked late, so I made fettucine with lightly browned garlic, chopped bacon, parsley and coarsely chopped asian greens when she arrived home.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Rosie, we've been to both Girasoleand Opah Grille...

Girasole is an attractive BYO that's become very popular - but our meal last fall (which took several tries to get reservations) left us feeling somewhat underwhelmed, both in terms of food and service.  We'll probably try it again to see whether it was them or us.

Opah Grille is becoming a favorite spot for us.  Quite a variety of fish, though some of the other choices can be somewhat limiting (salad is something of a weak spot, particularly for Ken).  Nice wine list, good service.

We'll be interested to see what you think of these places!

Bella Rosa was fabulous this past Friday, as everyone seems to agree, so I won't elaborate.  I just wonder where they put the live music???

The French Quarter in Wayne, now that place has to be experienced.  Yes, the ambience can be a tad nonexistent at times, but go on a Saturday night, when the Mike Denny Centennial (Dixieland) Band is in the house.  They usually start around 8pm, and play till Sunday.  A great band, and where else can you hear live Dixieland music?  As for the food, Jean-Paul does a wonderful job.  There are always oyster specials, which we have had, but didn't this time.  Our group of 4 had Mussels on The Bayou, 5 Meat Gumbo and 2 lobster bisques.  For entrees, we had the special grilled salmon, a veal and ham dish, polenta in a mushroom sauce and pulled pork.  Dessert, well, I always have the bread pudding with a whisky sauce, so I don't care what anyone else had!  Don't forget to try the Hurricanes!  Delicious!  With drinks and tip, about $50/person.

The French Quarter

2320 Hamburg Turnpike

Wayne, NJ 07470

(973) 616-4700

No, you wouldn't need a reservation on a weeknight unless it was Bastille Day or Mardi Gras!  Just a warning, it might be quiet.  I think they have live music Friday nights in addition to Saturday night.

If you are going north on 23, the easiest way might be to get off as if you were going to Rosemary and Sage, which is on Hamburg Turnpike.  Just keep going on Hamburg Turnpike PAST Rosemary for a couple of miles, and you should see the restaurant on the left side of the road, it's a BIG Victorian house.  I can't recall how many traffic lights there are once you pass Rosemary, as I don't normally go that way.  I hope that's helpful.  It's one of those things, I know how to get there, just don't ask for street names or silly little deatils like that. :smile:

Rosie -

following Walter Maier's excellent directions, it's about a quarter mile past past the Pompton Waterfalls, Maroon Auto,  and the enormous CVS store. Less than five min from Rosemary & Sage.

An alternate way would be to come up 23, take the 202 north exit, and follow 202, which goes directly past the joint.  Dee and I have it on our list of places to visit, so e-mail me if you're interested in joining us.

Paul

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo