• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Culver's Frozen Custard & ButterBurgers

Just hit Culver's (Buffalo Grove, IL) for the first time and I'm curious why so many people find it so wonderful. What's all the buzz about? To me, it's just another--not McDonalds or BK--burger chain.

Their ButterBurgers--which are relatively flavorless--are comprised of large, thin patties, cooked into oblivion and served on buttered buns (hence the name). I personally could not taste any 'buttery goodness' on the bun, but hey, maybe that's just me. The fries were nothing special either; crinkle-cut, foodservice-variety and cooked to that all-too-familiar edge between limp and crisp. Unimpressive, forgettable.

The frozen custard (we tried the vanilla--chocolate and pistachio nut were also available) is nothing more than a very nice rendition of sof-serve ice cream. I will concede that it was a nicely-flavored product (a notch or 2 better than DQ), but still, it really doesn't come close in quality to super premium ice creams like Haagen Dazs or Ben & Jerry's. Frankly, even mid-range ice creams like Baskin Robbins are far more interesting. And $4.00 for a medium? Ouch.

On the positive side, the restaurant itself (including bathrooms) was extraordinarily clean. Service was friendly and helpful. The folks at the counter were nice and the person who brought our order to our table was courteous. The dining space was large, bright and comfortable. There is a generous amount of seating. Also, large televisions--mounted to the ceiling--were tuned to the Cubs game, which was a nice thing on a Saturday afternoon.

But, I've heard such praise for this place, which is perplexing since most of our local burger restaurants blow away it away, by comparison. In my little town, for example, there is a joint called Dear Franks (an admittedly annoying pun of a name) which turns out much better burgers (with real cheddar if desired), consistently-crisp, hand-cut fries (which still have some skin on them) and they have a full-service ice-cream store to boot. Burger (and Hot Dog) outlets like Dear Franks exist in virtually every neighborhood in Chicago and practically every suburb as well. And that leads me to ask again the question I led with...what's the big deal about Culver's? I'm genuinely curious what a resident Chicagoan would find compelling about Culver's. As usual, I feel like I'm missing something. Am I?

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

George...where were you an hour ago?!?! :raz:

=R=

Dreaming of Turtle Sundaes, truth be told! :rolleyes:

Their "concrete" turtle shakes are heavenly (I'm partial to "turtle" anything). Their ice cream sandwich is THREE scoops of custard between two huge chocolate chip cookies.

I think their custard is wonderful. Only vanilla and chocolate, however. Their "flavor of the day" always uses one of these as a base, with things just mixed in, with varying degrees of success.

Their burgers are just average, but I do love their crinkle-cut fries (ask for them "crispy" next time). Their fried chicken is delicious and fresh. They do a good pork BBQ sandwich (ask for it - it's not on the menu). And their cheese curds are wonderful as well. So's their Culver's brand Root Beer (no ice, please).

The Buffalo Grove store is always spotless (like McDonald's used to be) with friendly staff.

Can you tell I'm a fan?

I think Culver's is a lost in translation thing, personally. The custard is good, but not as good as other frozen custard places in Wisconsin. The food that I've had is fine, but again, not as good as elsewhere. In some places where there isn't many other options, Culver's might seem a haven, but if there is any potential local variety, you can probably do as well or better elsewhere.

Some of the daily special custard flavors (they have a different "flavor" each day, made from some variety of vanilla or choclate custard and toppings mixed in) are worth it when you're craving them.

I, however, checked out their nutrition flyer last time I was there (I should totally know better) and noticed that many of their sundaes have more than 1000 calories. For half my daily caloric intake, I really want something more than a couple splorks of okay frozen custard and a topping.

But I'm still going to use that Culver's gift certificate Santa put in my stocking this year.

--adoxograph

George...where were you an hour ago?!?! :raz:

=R=

Dreaming of Turtle Sundaes, truth be told! :rolleyes:

Their "concrete" turtle shakes are heavenly (I'm partial to "turtle" anything). Their ice cream sandwich is THREE scoops of custard between two huge chocolate chip cookies.

I think their custard is wonderful. Only vanilla and chocolate, however. Their "flavor of the day" always uses one of these as a base, with things just mixed in, with varying degrees of success.

Their burgers are just average, but I do love their crinkle-cut fries (ask for them "crispy" next time). Their fried chicken is delicious and fresh. They do a good pork BBQ sandwich (ask for it - it's not on the menu). And their cheese curds are wonderful as well. So's their Culver's brand Root Beer (no ice, please).

The Buffalo Grove store is always spotless (like McDonald's used to be) with friendly staff.

Can you tell I'm a fan?

George,

Thanks for the guidance. Perhaps I should have waited to try Culver's and gone with someone who knows the lay of the land, as you do. Ladies and gentlemen of the Heartland, he's recommnending the pork sandwich and it's not even on the menu :shock::cool::smile:

I did try the root beer but I'm such a die-hard diet cola drinker, that I think it was lost on me. The picture of the ice cream sandwich looked very good, and I am partial to chip-wiches, so maybe I should have tried that instead of the plain old cup of vanilla. I generally try the most basic stuff on my first visit to a place.

As for the fries, between asking for them crispy and 'demanding' the dark end of the loin at Carson's, you're going to get me in trouble. :biggrin: Seriously though, on my next trip there (and now I am obligated :rolleyes:) I will make sure to ask for my fries crispy although I will feel strange making such a request since, in my mind, that' the only way they should be served. Still...me no ask, me no get :smile:

Thanks for the tips.

=R=

I think Culver's is a lost in translation thing, personally.  The custard is good, but not as good as other frozen custard places in Wisconsin.  The food that I've had is fine, but again, not as good as elsewhere.  In some places where there isn't many other options, Culver's might seem a haven, but if there is any potential local variety, you can probably do as well or better elsewhere.

Some of the daily special custard flavors (they have a different "flavor" each day, made from some variety of vanilla or choclate custard and toppings mixed in) are worth it when you're craving them.

I, however, checked out their nutrition flyer last time I was there (I should totally know better) and noticed that many of their sundaes have more than 1000 calories.  For half my daily caloric intake, I really want something more than a couple splorks of okay frozen custard and a topping.

But I'm still going to use that Culver's gift certificate Santa put in my stocking this year.

Agreed, agreed and agreed--especially if you're talking about Kopp's :smile:

Still, I will give it another shot and keep all this new info in mind when I do.

FWIW, the Buffalo Grove, IL location is very near a (relatively?) new Indian restaurant that I've been meaning to try, so maybe next time it'll just be Culver's for dessert. :wink:

=R=

I told you not to mention my name at Carson's! :smile:

Last year for Father's Day we went to Sal Y Carvao (one of those Brazilian churrascarias). If that wasn't enough, my Dad wanted to go to Culver's for dessert! He'd never been. He had a Banana Split the size of your head, and he and my mom polished off the whole thing!

Their browine sundae ain't bad either... :rolleyes:

In our new 'hood, if you want a fast burger, it's a choice between Mickey D's and Culver's. Do I want a flacid grey burger pulled out of a warming tray or something that seems like it was cooked for me?

But, forego the fries and go for onion rings. Methinks they get less requests for the latter so they are fresher.

But, if I want a great burger, I head to the meat market, have them grind some chuck, throw some charcoal into the chimney, then onto the kettle and do it up right. And make my own ice cream (custardy, with eggs).

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Fries, schmies. Get the cheese curds. And try the Philly Ribeye.

I only like the flavors of the day that are fruity, but when they first opened by us, obsessing about what the flavor of the day was kept me occupied for a good while. Luckily, that wore off.

In the Twin Cities, really the only place to go for the cheese curds is the State Fair. The booth near the dairy barn on a side street. Word. Been going there for well over 20 years. Makes everyone else's look like child's play.

In the Twin Cities, really the only place to go for the cheese curds is the State Fair. The booth near the dairy barn on a side street. Word. Been going there for well over 20 years. Makes everyone else's look like child's play.

What makes them so good? Details, I need cheesy, fried, details!

They just seem gooery, crisper than the others. Perhaps some of that has to do with the fact that since they are off the beaten path, they don't make them in advance? Or, you just don't have to wait as long as at the place on Commonwealtth? Don't know, but Paul and I have been doing the State Fair thing since 1976 together and swear by the fried curds by the dairy barn.

I have been dragged to Culver's repeatedly by my sprogs, who go for the custard, although they also chow down on the burgers. In my opinion, culver's burgers are disgusting. They're nothing but smashed grease served on toasted grease. I can actually feel my arteries harden as I eat.

I usually go for the pork tenderloin sandwich, or in a pinch, the turkey and cheese melt.

NOTHING and I repeat NOTHING beats Kopp's custard. The 1/2# cheesebugers are not bad also. -Dick

Agreed about the custard. I don't remember the burgers, to tell the truth; I've been out of college (Marquette U) for seventeen years, and usually go to Sanford if I'm going to drive all the way to Milwaukee.

NOTHING and I repeat NOTHING beats Kopp's custard. The 1/2# cheesebugers are not bad also. -Dick

Agreed about the custard. I don't remember the burgers, to tell the truth; I've been out of college (Marquette U) for seventeen years, and usually go to Sanford if I'm going to drive all the way to Milwaukee.

Another Kopp's diehard here. We usually drive up from Chicago a couple times each summer. We usually have some "reason" to be going to Milwaukee, but the first and last stop is ALWAYS Kopp's.

Here's their website, where you can check out their daily special flavors: http://www.kopps.com/

• 3 weeks later...

Hi-

My brother in law and I own the Culver's in Buffalo Grove. Thanks for all your comments. I'm glad to hear we were friendly and clean. As for the burgers, Ronnie, you are right-- they are thin. Usually, for first timers, I recommend trying the Wisconsin Swiss Melt, Sourdough Melt, or the Mushroom and Swiss burger. These are larger burgers and they are filling and delicious (in my opinion). We also have jumbo size burgers if you really are hungry.

Thanks again for your comments; please let me if you have any in the future-- good or bad. And please introduce yourself if/ when you visit us again.

Kevin

Kevin,

Thanks for stopping in--very nice of you to do so. You folks sure do run a tight operation over there. We will definitely be back and I will, of course, say hi when we return. I've had good success following George's (gmi3804's) recommendations and I appreciate yours as well.

Over 4th of July weekend a bunch of us were talking about your place. Turns out, your custard is my mom's absolute favorite. :smile:

=R=

Another Kopp's diehard here. We usually drive up from Chicago a couple times each summer. We usually have some "reason" to be going to Milwaukee, but the first and last stop is ALWAYS Kopp's.

Here's their website, where you can check out their daily special flavors: http://www.kopps.com/

Yes! Kopp's is the real deal!

I'm checking e-mails from CA, having been on a one-week vacation to Napa Valley, Yosemite, and now Los Angeles, and eating non-stop at some fantastic places. During those long drives between each point, we longed to see a familiar Culver's blue roof! Don't worry, however, we didn't starve! :rolleyes:

I weighed 175 last week at this time... :shock:

LOL! So are you down to 165 this week? :wink:

We were 'in the neighborhood' last night and stopped in at the B.G. Culver's for dinner. I had an excellent double mushroom-swiss burger and, on George's recommendation, my wife and I split a turtle sundae--no actually we fought over it. I'd never been stabbed with a plastic spoon before. :biggrin:

Kevin, it was a pleasure to meet you. Even in the midst of that '3 busloads of folks showing up' rush, your staff handled things outstandingly. As I mentioned, the burger was excellent, even while your folks were getting slammed.

One other thing I really appreciate about this particular Culver's is the availability of caffeine-free diet pop. I don't know if every Culver's offers it, but the B.G. store does and it's a very nice thing.

=R=