• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Panini Recipes

dunnaddison

Hi I am new to eGullet and am looking for some great panini sandwich recipes.

I have a brand new panini grill (Sirman) from Italy which I propose to use in my Specialty coffee house. I had to delay the initial fire up of the panini grill due to the manufacturer coating the hot plate surfaces with a protective coating which needed to be burnt off. They recommended not to turn the unit on inside the premises due to the smell and smoke , however easier said than done due to the 220 voltage requirement of the unit ( in Europe they are on a different voltage system to us)

To cut a long story short I believe I must have run off a few of my cusomers due to the smell and smoke emitting from the unit. :angry:

Now for the next step, after many attempts at trying out different recipes for the filling I am not quite ready to start serving to my customers. Although they seemed to enjoy the samples I have given out, it could be due to them being free. :wink:

I am looking for some terrific panini recipes and I have looked in RecipeGullet and came up blank. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Alan

Alan Geddie

Dunn Bros Coffee -- Addison, Texas

Coffee, Art, Music, Internet Cafe

Dunn Bros Coffee

ooh... I love pannini!

I like mozzarella and salami or apple and brie :wub: (that's really lovely..)

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

Living in Florence.. in front of the Central Market..

we get the best!

one of my favorite places, has a beautiful selection of panini.. which are toasted when ordered.

My favorite is sausage and grilled pumpkin!!! makes me wild!

I also was just in Senigallia and had smoked salmon with zucchini and soft Tuscan sheeps cheese ( pecorino)

i8659.jpg

Of course choice of bread is very important!

do you have time to let your customers select their fillings?

we have another panini place which has a selection of fillings, including sauteed spinach, mushrooms, salami, various soft cheeses...

I have tried several of the recipes on the Chef-to-Chef site:

http://chef2chef.net/cgi-bin/menuc.cgi?search=panini

My favorites the chicken and chile verde

and the portobello mushroom

instead of the grated Asiago, I used a slice of Fontina.

I also made the eggplant, arugula and mozz panini on this site

http://www.recipezaar.com/r/q=panini

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

check out n. silverton's sandwich book, its based on the weekly "sandwich menu" in her restaurant.

i was about to add that, the recipes are insane, sooo much prep--but the combinations are just fabulous. i love this book-- very worthwhile just for ideas and the grilled cheese skewers (on rosemary branches w/bagna cauda is out of this world)

Bit of a cliche, but goats cheese and roasted vegetables (Or maybe griddle aubergines) is good.

Also (good quality) sausages and caramelized onions. I like it with plenty of english mustard, although the combination of heat and mustard can produce a rather vicious nasal clearing effect!

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Thanks, Foodie3. What kind of panini grill do the rest of you use?

This is a thread that makes my mouth water. So many delicious combinations. If anyone has come up with your own recipe for a panini, please contribute it to RecipeGullet.

I have a Villaware but I seldom use it just for myself. It is easier to use my grill pan with sear top (press).

I use the electric one when I entertain and set out various breads, rolls and fillings so people can make their own.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

My favorite combo right now is definitely tomato, fresh mozzarella, and pesto on sourdough bread. Simple but amazing once the teeth squeeking cheese, the herbally pesto, and ripe tomato flavors all combine.

I also love a grilled reuben. Corned beef, swisse cheese, sauerkraut, and russian dressing on rye. Mmmmm. If only I were hungry . . .

My favorite is made with the following:

a good, extra sharp cheddar cheese (my favorite is that from Herkimer, NY, but I usually use Cabbot's from Costco--I think it's $7 for 2 lbs)

tomatoes

sliced jalepenos (from a can or jar, so that they are pickled and have absorbed the salt and vinegar)

a slice or two of ham (though this is much less essential than anything else here)

For bread, Boudin sourdough can't be beat.

Grilled eggplant, squash, roasted red and orange peppers, sliced avocado and smoked cheese-and the bread is spread with Xan's romesco sauce.

Soc.

And the slices are grilled too. Forgot to say that!

Edited by Socrates (log)

• 2 years later...

You could roast some veggies in the oven with olive oil and garlic - eggplant, mushroom and red pepper, say - and then serve it with a schmear of pesto or some melted cheese. Or both.

Sun-dried tomatoes, chicken and provolone.

Parma Ham and Arugula.

...now I'm hungry.

I attempted to post the following as an initial post while two threads were being merged. Some of the information may be redundant as a result:

All sorts of bread can be used and some of my favorite are not made with the American-style soft bread that is standard for presses. Focaccio split in two is especially great when it's made plain with coarse salt and olive oil on top. Italians prefer very simple fillings, sometimes just one piece of meat and condiment or two. You'll find some discussion of them here: Fenton's Claim. Somewhere, I know, Daniel asked about tripe versions.

I mean no disrespect, but do note that "panino" is the diminuative form of "pane," the word for bread. "Panini" is the plural form of the word used in Italy for sandwiches. It's only due to the popularity of grilled Italian-style sandwiches and retail sales of appliances that they're called "panini sandwich" in the U.S. It's sort of like saying cappuccino coffee or gelato ice cream.

The combinations of prosciutto (any kind of ham) and artichoke (marianated, fried, lightly battered & deep fried) is classic. So is roasted pepper and slice of mozzarella or meat. I mentioned fried zucchini blossoms as one of a pair in an earlier thread. There are plenty of panini that feature vegetables such as strong-tasting greens sauteed in olive oil with garlic. Eggplant or zucchini slices that were grilled and left to marinate overnight are great; sliver garlic and sprinkle sparingly in between layers with fresh basil. Drizzle with red wine vinegar and olive oil. Add chicken and/or mozzarella (any soft, fresh cheese) and top with arugula.

Now that it is tomato season, chop up fresh tomatoes. Mix a favorite brand of tuna packed in olive oil, minced parsley, a little garlic and lots of capers. No mayo. Just olive oil to bind. Freshly ground pepper. Top with the tomatoes and some salt.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

My favorite for a while has been procuitto, roasted red pepper, basil, fresh mozzarella, and balsamic viniagrette on chibbata bread. So. Good.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

Thanks, Foodie3. What kind of panini grill do the rest of you use?

This is a thread that makes my mouth water. So many delicious combinations. If anyone has come up with your own recipe for a panini, please contribute it to RecipeGullet.

THIS is the one I use...a DeLonghi Retro. Great grill that happens to be on sale right now at Amazon with a huge discount.

I like to grill slices of portobello on the grill then use it in the sandwich with the addition of roasted red BP's, avocado, bacon (or sliced chicken breast) and cheese (Muenster, Havarti, Mozz). At times, I will also put finely grated Parm Reg and garlic powder on the outside of the bread to make Garlic parmasean toast. Spreads, I'll use pesto, kaffir lime leaf aoili, 1000 island dressing or El Torrito's Avocado/Cilantro salad dressing...awesome. Another great thing to do is make a cajun butter from your favorite cajun spice recipe and butter (duh) and use to grill bread. Add's a LOT of flavor to your shrimp or chicken panini.

I love this thing because no matter what you have in the fridge, as long as you've got bread, you can make anything for your meal. This is getting me hungry, I think I'll make some panini tonight. Glad I saw the thread.

Cheers,

Bob

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

Somewhere, I know, Daniel asked about tripe versions.

trippa & lampredotto, oh my! What I love about the Florentines is that they have TWO kinds of tripe sandwich. God bless 'em.

Now that it is tomato season, chop up fresh tomatoes.  Mix a favorite brand of tuna packed in olive oil, minced parsley, a little garlic and lots of capers.  No mayo.  Just olive oil to bind.  Freshly ground pepper.  Top with the tomatoes and some salt.

Good call. Even better if there are some artichokes to keep that tuna company. Oh my, yes.

I'm also a big fan of the Roman-style sandwich made of pizza bianca sliced in half and filled with mortadella or prosciutto.