• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Panini Recipes

dunnaddison

What does a panini press do for you that the grill pan and weight on the stove can't? I'm always up for more gear, but the kitchen is getting a bit crowded....

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

What does a panini press do for you that the grill pan and weight on the stove can't?  I'm always up for more gear, but the kitchen is getting a bit crowded....

Thanks for asking this as I was about to ask the same question. I have only just discovered panini and make mine in a grill pan with a weighted pan on top so I'd love to know what I am missing by not having yet another toy. :biggrin:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

What does a panini press do for you that the grill pan and weight on the stove can't?  I'm always up for more gear, but the kitchen is getting a bit crowded....

Thanks for asking this as I was about to ask the same question. I have only just discovered panini and make mine in a grill pan with a weighted pan on top so I'd love to know what I am missing by not having yet another toy. :biggrin:

that will work fine

also, if you have one (i got one as a gift) you can use one of those george foreman grills, just weight the top down with something (i use a dictionary)..and you can get the small ones for ~$15 usually

Ham, sharp cheddar, tomato, and arugula, prosciutto, mozzarella, fresh basil or some combination of these and of course, I butter both sides of the bread before grilling because I like my paninis really crispy.

I've used both the panini machine and the grill pan and weight methods, and I prefer the crispy "squished" sandwich from the machine. Although, the taste is the same :raz:

To answer the why a panini grill versus a press and a grill pan, the first thing that comes to mind is that a panini cooks on boh sides at one time for even cooking...no need for turning. It probably doesn't matter all that much which way you go.

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

• 5 months later...

Some basic but classic combo's I have used for years:

Chicken, Cranberry and Brie

Roast Beef, Red Onion and Onion Marmalade

Bacon, Egg and Tomato Chutney ( great for breakfast!)

Tandoori Chicken with Coriander and Indian Chutney

Chicken, Spinach, Fetta, S/D Tomato Pesto

Your favourite sandwich fillings will probably be great in a panini...just imagine them hot!