• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bengali Shark Kebabs

rummate

While surfing on the net i fished a very unsual recipe.Either i do not know my Maccher Jhol or the shark is really a bengali.Would the Doctor or Bong investigate?

Bengali Shark Kebabs

Ingredients

450g (1lb) shark steaks

2 cloves garlic

1/2 inch piece root ginger

1 small onion, peeled

1 red chilli

150g (5oz) natural yoghurt

salt to taste

1 teaspoon turmeric

2 teaspoons garam masala

Method

Cut the fish into 2.5cm (1 inch) cubes. Wash, drain and dry them.

Liquidize all the remaining ingredients, to form a marinade paste. Marinade the cubes for approximately 2 hours.

Thread the fish on to 4 skewers, and grill for ten minutes.

Serve on a bed of salad.

Serves 4.

While surfing on the net i fished a very unsual recipe.Either i do not know my Maccher Jhol or the shark is really a bengali.Would the Doctor or Bong investigate?

Bengali Shark Kebabs

Ingredients

450g (1lb) shark steaks

2 cloves garlic

1/2 inch piece root ginger

1 small onion, peeled

1 red chilli

150g (5oz) natural yoghurt

salt to taste

1 teaspoon turmeric

2 teaspoons garam masala

Method

Cut the fish into 2.5cm (1 inch) cubes. Wash, drain and dry them.

Liquidize all the remaining ingredients, to form a marinade paste. Marinade the cubes for approximately 2 hours.

Thread the fish on to 4 skewers, and grill for ten minutes.

Serve on a bed of salad.

Serves 4.

this is, i am sure, an adaptation to the american market. on my own, now long defunct, recipes website (i am slowly putting it back together) i used to recommend substituting thresher shark fillets in certain bengali fish recipes (like doi machh etc.)-it has a texture not unlike bhetki etc. and can be a good sub. i also used it, and mahi-mahi, to make my green masala fish. this was before i discovered the bangladeshi store in l.a that sold all the bengali fish!

this recipe sounds yum--would probably be very good with the fish pan-fried as well. in fact if you think about it, it is a doi machh (yogurt fish) recipe--just ends up being cooked differently.

bong, your thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...