• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salting Anchovies

balex

I bought a bunch of very fresh anchovies, some of which I want to salt. I assume I just fillet them and layer the fillets with lots of salt. But what else do I need to do ? do I drain off liquid? do I add bay leaves?

Thanks for any tips.

When I was in culinary school we learned how to salt striped bass roe, so I am guessing the same application is applicable. You can use dry spices mixed into the salt, it has to be able to drain and be weighted down. If you are planning on putting them up, it takes a week. Pull them out repack them in clean salt and leave them in the fridge.

Patrick Sheerin

i salted anchovies a couple of years ago when i found a bunch at the farmers market for something like $1 for 2 pounds. i fressed about how to do it until i read a description in patience gray of a scene where she watched an old man filleting them into an old oil can. after that, i figured, i can't go wrong. the procedure i used is pretty simple. i filleted the anchovies (you can do this with your thumbnail) and layered them with salt on a cookie sheet for overnight. i drained off the liquid and arranged them in a sealable glass jar with fresh salt and a bay leaf. i have no idea whether the bay leaf made any difference, but it looked pretty. and the anchovies were very good, though i have to admit they were not quite as plump and sweet as the very best sicilian salted anchovies i now have in my refrigerator (believe i got them from esperya).

Thanks, guys. So I have them in a tupperware container now in the fridge, and I guess they will give off a lot of liquid. The step that I was missing was taking them out and putting them in fresh salt. How long should I wait before this? A week or are there signs I should look out for that indicate that they are done?

How sterile is sterile? I figure if they are sitting in a load of salt anything will do, but I might use a glass jar with a clip down lid, and boil it first in good jam making style.

I would have thought you are correct about the salt. But I, once, used a glass jar that had some contamination when salting, I think, some beef and it had some funk grow around the rim. The beef itself was fine. But, unlike russ' results, mine were not pretty. I think a quick wash would be fine.

Not a reccomendation but just to note that the one time I salted anchovies I added thyme as well as bay leaf. They turned out well but I've purchased better. Next time I'd go easy on the thyme, but I'd still add it.

Rice pie is nice.

1. You want to use kosher salt or salt without iodine and anti-caking ingrediants. Nothing else.

2. Sterility does not matter, the salt is what presrves the anchovies. If you have ever observed how salted anchovies in the can are produced, sterility is not a concern.-Dick