• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

6 hours ago, Duvel said:

That looks pretty good - its just regular polenta, no binders added ? What temperature do you bake this for how long ?

Yes, just regular polenta, no binders.  Here is a recipe.  For this purpose, I use a little less water than I usually do when cooking the polenta - 3.5 cups of water/1 cup dry polenta instead of the 4 cups I'd usually use. 

Not that it matters, but I cook the polenta in the Instant Pot, pot-in-pot, manual, high pressure, 15 min then 10 min slow release before opening, aka, the @Anna N method!

Then I use oiled fingers to pat it out on parchment paper to ~ 1/3 inch thick.  Or you can roll it between two lightly oiled sheets.  Or press it into a pie plate to make a polenta pie crust. 

1 cup dry polenta will press out into two 10-inch rounds or one big one.   I prefer the smaller size.  Put the crusts in the fridge to firm up for at least an hour or overnight. 

I put the baking steel into the middle of the oven and pre-heat to 475°F.  My oven has a convect-roast setting that uses both upper and lower elements so that's what I use.  

Brush the top of the crust with a little olive oil and slide it, on the parchment paper, on to the steel.  Bake until the edges start to crisp up and it looks sizzle-y all over.  That takes ~ 10 minutes for me,  the recipe says 15.

Pull the crust out, add the toppings and return to the steel for another 5-10 min, until the toppings are done to your liking. 

I've had the crust slide off the parchment directly on to the steel.  It released just fine and was not the disaster I feared but I'm not recommending that. 

WRT toppings, I wouldn't recommend anything overly saucy - think tomatoes instead of tomato sauce and I recommend a light sprinkle of cheese directly on the crust, then add other toppings, followed by a little more cheese. 

The recipe I linked to says this is a knife and fork dish.  In my hands, making the smaller, 10-inch crusts, going light on the toppings and baking on the steel, I get slices that can easily be picked up and eaten out of hand. 

Edited to add that it's not pizza, but it's not bad either!

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

6 hours ago, Duvel said:

That looks pretty good - its just regular polenta, no binders added ? What temperature do you bake this for how long ?

Yes, just regular polenta, no binders.  Here is a recipe.  For this purpose, I use a little less water than I usually do when cooking the polenta - 3.5 cups of water/1 cup dry polenta instead of the 4 cups I'd usually use. 

Not that it matters, but I cook the polenta in the Instant Pot, pot-in-pot, manual, high pressure, 15 min then 10 min slow release before opening, aka, the @Anna N method!

Then I use oiled fingers to pat it out on parchment paper to ~ 1/3 inch thick.  Or you can roll it between two lightly oiled sheets.  Or press it into a pie plate to make a polenta pie crust. 

1 cup dry polenta will press out into two 10-inch rounds or one big one.   I prefer the smaller size.  Put the crusts in the fridge to firm up for at least an hour or overnight. 

I put the baking steel into the middle of the oven and pre-heat to 475°F.  My oven has a convect-roast setting that uses both upper and lower elements so that's what I use.  

Brush the top of the crust with a little olive oil and slide it, on the parchment paper, on to the steel.  Bake until the edges start to crisp up and it looks sizzle-y all over.  That takes ~ 10 minutes for me,  the recipe says 15.

Pull the crust out, add the toppings and return to the steel for another 5-10 min, until the toppings are done to your liking. 

I've had the crust slide off the parchment directly on to the steel.  It released just fine and was not the disaster I feared but I'm not recommending that. 

WRT toppings, I wouldn't recommend anything overly saucy - think tomatoes instead of tomato sauce and I recommend a light sprinkle of cheese directly on the crust, then add other toppings, followed by a little more cheese. 

The recipe I linked to says this is a knife and fork dish.  In my hands, making the smaller, 10-inch crusts, going light on the toppings and baking on the steel, I get slices that can easily be picked up and eaten out of hand. 

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

5 hours ago, Duvel said:

Yes, just regular polenta, no binders.  Here is a recipe.  For this purpose, I use a little less water that I usually do when cooking the polenta - 3.5 cups of water/1 cup dry polenta instead of the 4 cups I'd usually use.