• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lost in Menlo Park

KelMH

Good evening, folks.

I'm going to be in Menlo Park this Sunday, and was hoping to eat something while I was there. Unfortunately, I'm clueless about Menlo Park restaurants--are there any worthy places I should try?

Thanks,

Kelli

Kelli

Menlo Park is pretty close to Palo Alto. I believe there are some nice restaurants there. Like Spago :wink:

I also have enjoyed the Fish Market restaurant

Looks like I am going to be spending a few days in Palo Alto next month.

I would also appreciate some more recommendations for local favorites.

Pamela Fanstill aka "PamelaF"

I don't live there anymore, but used to really like Gambardella and Carpaccio for Italian, in that order. If you venture down the road to Palo Alto, there are some great restaurants. I like Evvia in particular, or try L'Amie Donia.

For 'fine dining" I really like Marche.

short review on marche

My shorts comments here; plus a review from an egullet diner. (The egullet person who reported enjoyed the meal; but I would probably rate it higher than he did...

egullet marche thread

Another place w/nice ambience and good food is Iberia. A Spanish restaurant w/a nice selection of tapas and also a regular menu. Nice bar area if you just want tapas and some drinks plus another dining room. (I've only had tapas here).

Left Bank can be ok--it's a little expensive to me for the quality they deliver--but they have standard French Bistro favorites including good frites. I've always had a nice time there. (Although less $ than Marche--I'd rather spend the extra $ and go to Marche). Left Bank is more casual though depending on your mood.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

How about Flea Street Cafe ? The menu is always changing, but the focus is on organic, in season food.

We enjoy Left Bank... I've read recently that L'Amie Donia is no more.

Evvia is one of my favorite restaurants. I love greek food so much though and the ambience of all the wood and glass in the interior. It's a bit overpriced though, but that's not unusual for Palo Alto.

Very close...Woodside...John Bentley's..you WON'T be disappointed. Also, Woodside Pub is very good. Not MP proper, but very close.

For MP proper...try Dal Boffo...been there forever.

Cheers and Bon Appetite!

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Cafe Silan, a kurdish restaurant used to be good. I say "used to be", because I haven't visited it in the last year or so, so I dont know if it has gone downhill since.

Some one else in this thread posted a link to my review of Restaurant Marche. I am hesitant to recommend it, because in the one visit that I had there recently, the experience was mixed.