• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

corking off

vandan

was talking to a chef friend the other day who mentioned that in van(or all bc) some(all) restaurants will allow you to bring your own wine but will charge you a "corking fee " so as to give them a cut , first off is this the case? is it a flat rate? and does it also apply to beer and spirits? jkust wondering as i've lived in this province for almost 10 years and have never heard even a inkling of it and quite frankly just seems a bit progressive for our archaic liquor laws

Does this only apply to wines opened in the van or the restaurant.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Corking fees seem to hover in the $10-$20 range. Not all rooms will do this so it is best to call ahead and ask. Shouldn't be a problem but, it should be a bottle no longer or never available in this market or it will be the last time they allow you to do this. Wine only, no beer or spirits, as far as I know.

slowfood/slowwine

Corkage is illegal? You certain?

In BC, Yes. The only alcohol allowed in a licensed premise is product purchased by the licensee from the BCLDB. The operator is actually required to have receipts to show a liquor inspector at any time. This applies to kitchen booze and even staff! This is to deter black market beverages, u-brew products (yuck), cross-border deals or any other lost taxation opportunity by the BCLDB. It also means that customers may not bring in wine, beer or liquor.

On a related topic, it's also illegal for customers to bring food (like birthday cakes) into a restaurant. OK, I'm not sure about illegal, but the health dept. does not allow it. I may start a new thread on this one.

There are some discussions going on right now in regards to the customer bringing in wine and the whole corkage thing, am I wrong to recollect that Alberta just did something like that.

I think they should do it like Quebec, you just have that kind of menu, it’s the only booze you have, then there is no conflict, you make your money on the corkage.

It is kind of dumb if you have a full menu and a customer brings in their own wine, I think some people in the government kind of missed this fine detail

You do not want the cheepness this would bring, but if you do not have a booze menu then this is a whole different program.

stovetop

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

Ontario just made BYO legal - see the link: Ontario BYO Alberta also has gone this route, I believe.

When this is proposed there is usually a big uproar from the restaurant lobby that does not wish to lose a big revenue source.

In Australia BYO is common and many US states allow BYO. Corkage rates vary. Somehow in BC we continue to have relatively puritan laws around alcohol.

Cheers,

Anne

A co-worker of mine is a member of the Terminal City Club. The Grill & the Games Room both have booze lockers where members can store their own liquor or wine for consumption on premices.

I'm sure the rules are different for a private club, but it seemed civilized to me.

DA

has anybody out there actually done this and if so what restaurannt? if you click on the link about byo in ontario, its says that alberta, quebec, new brunswick as well as bc already have byo programs, hmm strange?

Call me a geek, but I found this on the BC Government web site:

Consumption of liquor in licensed establishments

42 (1) A person must not consume liquor in a licensed establishment unless that liquor has been purchased from or served by the licensee of that licensed establishment.

(2) A licensee must not allow consumption in the licensed establishment of liquor that was not purchased from or served by the licensee.

(3) A licensee, and the employees of the licensee, must not consume liquor while working in the licensed establishment.

(4) All liquor sold or served in a licensed establishment must be consumed there, and the licensee must not allow liquor, other than the following, to be taken from the licensed establishment:

(a) a bottle of wine that is unfinished by a patron and sealed by the licensee before being taken by that patron from the licensed establishment;

(b) liquor that is sold for consumption off premises in accordance with the Act, this regulation and the terms and conditions of the licence.

(5) A licensee who seals an unfinished bottle of wine in accordance with subsection (4) (a) must inform the patron of the requirements of section 44 of the Act.

(6) This section does not apply to a U-Brew or U-Vin.

So it seems we can't bring anything in, but we can take away that which we purchased, provided the restaurant puts the cork back in.

I think archaic rather than puritan applies here. :rolleyes:

DA

In regards to the details of brining your own wine; in Quebec, it is a different licence, the establishment does not sell any liquor, and does not have a wine menu, so you as a customer, bring your own wine in, you pay the waiter to open and serve the wine, every one is happy.

Or maybe you have something special the restaurant does not have it.

No conflict of interest here except the government will losse their 4%.

too bad

I would say bring it on, it creates a casual dinning scene, not so pompous and 70's.

Not every one has all the big money to open up a place, this type of aproach can give someone a leg up in their business opening.

also maybe someone has a good wine, bring one for the waiter or owner, do not consume on site but..ha ha, sorry, I can not stop LOL.

Edited by stovetop (log)

Corkage. It's illegal, but some restaurants do it, if you have the courtesy to call ahead.

Smokin' pot is illegal as well. :)

Ask the restaurant if it is OK and most will say yes but with a corkage fee.

No list of restaurants will be given but yes I've done it and will continue to do so as long as the owners are cool with it.

slowfood/slowwine

This and the birthday cake thread have something in common. If you are bringing a truly unique cake or bottle to a restaurant and are prepared to pay a premium to have it served and you discuss it with the manager/chef you will probably get away with it.

If you are a cheap bastard and are trying to bring in some Nanaimo bars from Costco or a bottle of Farenese Primitivo....well you will get what you deserve.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

This and the birthday cake thread have something in common. If you are bringing a truly unique cake or bottle to a restaurant and are prepared to pay a premium to have it served and you discuss it with the manager/chef you will probably get away with it.

If you are a cheap bastard and are trying to bring in some Nanaimo bars from Costco or a bottle of Farenese Primitivo....well you will get what you deserve.

Another point I like alot

I can not say it better myself

steve