• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Berta's Chateau

Rosie

Last night we had an outstanding wine dinner with Lorenzo Boscaini at Berta's Chateau, 7 Grove St, Wanaque. I had never been to this restaurant before and can’t wait to return. This restaurant is off the beaten track but well worth the ride. Chef Peter Bernstein created the following dinner to go along with the wines.

Reception and Antipasto

La Cros Pinot Grigio Valdadige DOC 2000

Dirada' Merlot IGT Veneto 2000

Dinner

Crespelle (crepe) with organic Italian ricotta

San Ciriaco Valpolicella Classico DOC 1998

Pappardelle al Cantuzein with sweet peppers, luganega sausage and basil

Santo Stefano Vino di Ripasso 1997

Loin of vittelone (grain veal) with mostarda di uva(grapes)

Marano Amarone della Valpolicella Classico DOC 1996

Ca’ De Loi Amarone della Valpolicella Classico DOC 1995

Cheese and Dessert Course

Boscaini Ca’ Nicolis Recioto della Valpolicella Classico DOC 1999

Berta's Chateau is open for dinner Monday through Saturday at 5 PM and Sunday at 1 PM. Upon advance notice Chef Peter will be happy to prepare the specialties of Piemonte or other regions of Italy such as bollito misto, fonduta (fondue made with fontina cheese), rabbit or game in season.

Call 973-835-0992 for reservations.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 3 years later...

Wow sounds great but... why the frown??

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

We eat there twice a month since it is 3 blocks from my home. I was the one that put on the winemaker dinner that rosie mentioned. The food is first rate. The wine list is mainly Peidmont and it is THE BEST wine list for Barolo in the USA.. I'm not kidding. Peter B. is the Ownere/Chef. Say hello to the wait staff Peter & Joe. Both have worked there >32 years. Berta's is coming up on the 80th year in business. They do it right.

RAF

We eat there twice a month since it is 3 blocks from my home. I was the one that put on the winemaker dinner that rosie mentioned. The food is first rate. The wine list is mainly Peidmont and it is THE BEST wine list for Barolo in the USA.. I'm not kidding. Peter B. is the Ownere/Chef. Say hello to the wait staff Peter & Joe. Both have worked there >32 years. Berta's is coming up on the 80th year in business. They do it right.

Nice to hear. What do they do best? Any favorites ?

Any favorite wine choices?

Edited by Cook456 (log)

Somewhere on a thread about Torino and the Olympics, someone (menton, maybe?) recommended I go here to get a Bicerin, which I read about and am anxious to try. Since I actually have a close friend in Wanaque and now hear that the food is good, I'm going to have to go soon!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Somewhere on a thread about Torino and the Olympics, someone (menton, maybe?) recommended I go here to get a Bicerin, which I read about and am anxious to try.  Since I actually have a close friend in Wanaque and now hear that the food is good, I'm going to have to go soon!

wow! I'd never heard of a bicerin. I am a mocha nut ( no pun intended) so I will definitely be ordering this , tonight.

Thanks Curlz!

Somewhere on a thread about Torino and the Olympics, someone (menton, maybe?) recommended I go here to get a Bicerin, which I read about and am anxious to try.  Since I actually have a close friend in Wanaque and now hear that the food is good, I'm going to have to go soon!

wow! I'd never heard of a bicerin. I am a mocha nut ( no pun intended) so I will definitely be ordering this , tonight.

Thanks Curlz!

So what's the difference between a cafe mocha and a bicerin - they sound very similar?

That was me!

I mentioned Bicerin because the chef at Berta's, Peter B., is anxious to make all sorts of Piemontese dishes and I thought he could be persuaded to do this one.

I'm a big fan Piemontese food (I even co-wrote a book about it) and really enjoyed the meal I ate at Berta's last year. Without question, I'd eat there all the time if I was thirty or forty miles closer to it, but I live down in Edison, a completely different food universe.

Brian Yarvin

My Webpage

As mentioned above I met some friends for dinner at Berta's tonight. It was very nice.

As soon as we sat at our table, sliced carrots, celery, cucumbers, olives, and scallions were placed on the table to pick on, along with three spreads with focaccia and toast points.

You can order ala carte or the full four course dinner. We chose the dinner and there were many items to choose from. My entree was two center cut pork chops ( cooked perfectly), in a luscious barolo reduction sauce that included apples, pears and figs. It was served with a fresh vegetable medley and farina dolce. A mixed salad was offered at no extra charge. I saved half of my dinner, so I could enjoy cappuccino ( no extra charge) and fresh peach pie alamode. Both were excellent. Refills on the cappuccino at no charge.

Extensive wine list, but many wines in the $30 range that were quite good. I would definitely go back again.

This is going to sound strange, but Berta's has THE BEST Linguine in White Clam sauce that I have ever had..PERIOD!!!  I have been known to order take out of this and drive from West Orange to pick it up!!  It is a must have IMHO.

Eric

Now you tell me???? :sad:

I had the mushroom ravioli with a light tomato veal sauce. They were small very delicate pillows. Also very good.

You had one of my favorites... Peter’s pasta's are very special and if you did not notice from the front cover of the menu he take his veal very seriously. Well, he takes everything he serves very seriously...

You should sign up for his newsletter. He does monthly dinners. We are going next Friday (Feb 10th) for a Barolo dinner.

RAF

Since I mentioned it somewhere upthread, folks might be interested in an article about the Bicerin in today's New York Times Dining Section... Now if Berta's can make one correctly, I'd be thrilled!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I'm so happy to read good things about Berta's. I used to go there regularly with my whole family about 35 yrs. ago. It was great then and it's wonderful to hear that it still seems excellent. I'm making plans to go again in the near future!

Thanks Cook 456 for the recent post!

Lori