• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peninsula Grill in Charleston, SC

Gifted Gourmet

Just saw "Food Finds" with Sandra Pinckney who did a show on Charleston. One of the segments was devoted to the coconut cake served at the upscale and famous Peninsula Grill. In another thread, Fat Guy described it thusly:

Peninsula Grill is also noteworthy for one of America's finest desserts: A twelve-layer coconut cake inspired by a recipe from Mr. Carter's mother. You don't have to love coconut to love this cake, and even if you hate coconut you'll like it a lot.

So, have you, or someone you know, ever eaten there? I have heard both good and average comments about it ....

and the coconut cake, which one can purchase to take home, is $55 .. worth it? Why are there so many people with an aversion to coconut?? What is it about coconut that bothers people? The taste? The texture? Climbing a coconut palm to pick the coconuts?? :laugh:Photo of The Ultimate Coconut Cake

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I hate the texture of coconut. I find the texture like you find in a Mounds bar really disgusting. Also, I hate coconut shavings.

However, I love pina coladas and the flavor of coconut. It's just a texture thing to me.

i worked at peninsula grill for 3 1/2 years as a pastry cook and made my fair share of coconut cakes to say the least (all out of one 20 quart mixer no less!). i can tell you that it is THE best coconut cake you will ever have. it is just perfect. i am not the biggest fan of coconut but this cake will blow your mind. we served them at room temp with is the key to best flavor and texture. 55 bucks is alot but there is quite a bit of prep involved. when you factor in shipping it comes to over a hundred. when that show first aired we were selling about a hunded a week. i talked to esthi last week and she said that the sales are still steady. i would say it is worth it. if you want to try to make it i can pm the recipies.

watermelon lizards catch bass in charleston!

simplicity is the mother of all beauty - Big John's Tavern

four words..............foie gras truffle butter............chef carter in one of the most intelligent and business savy chefs in the country............he has an amazing way with people..............there is a reason peninsula grill is packed every night and i mean every night........i had the pleasure of being a small part of one of the most intense group of line cooks ever......what a blast......i'll be there for dinner on july 3 and will post pictures and a full report.....can't wait

there is a reason peninsula grill is packed every night and i mean every night........i had the pleasure of being a small part of one of the most intense group of line cooks ever......what a blast......i'll be there for dinner on july 3 and will post pictures and a full report.....can't wait

And we look forward to reading and reveling in your pictorial pleasures of the Peninsula Grill as well, Sean!! :biggrin:

Do share your own "Kodak Moments" with this continually sensually starved audience! :laugh:

and that coconut cake .. share a piece of heaven with us as well?? :biggrin:

It's been awhile since my last visit to the Grill and awhile since I had the coconut cake but we've always found everything there to be just perfect, particularly considering the extended run of hype and high-praise the restaurant has received.

I usually get a steak--not very imaginative I know but they are so excellent it's hard not to get along with some of their excellent sides. Last time my wife ordered a special that included a simply prepared red snapper. It was the best fish either of us had ever tasted.

I as well had a tour of duty with Mr. Carter, for 3 years. I don't even care for coconut, but that cake is a mighty fine one. The luscious cake is just devine especially at "room temp" Cakes correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the whole cake weighs about 16 pounds. It is definitely for the health conscious :wink: . Chef, enjoy yourself on vacation, and tell Mr. Carter hey for us.

Edited by greenoilcook (log)

I as well had a tour of duty with Mr. Carter, for 3 years. I don't even care for coconut, but that cake is a mighty fine one. The luscious cake is just devine especially at "room temp" Cakes correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the whole cake weighs about 16 pounds. It is definitely for the health conscious . Chef, enjoy yourself on vacation, and tell Mr. Carter hey for us.

bob kinda exagerated the weight for articles and press. i remember weighing one and i think it was around 12-13 pounds. dont tell fed-ex that though because i think they charge for 16#. i forgot to mention but we we used plugra butter exclusively in that kitchen. for those who dont know, plugra is a "european style butter" with 82% fat and a better flavor than ordinary butter. i think one of the reasons the cake is so damn good is the butter.

greenoilcook-what is your name?

Edited by yourmyboyblue (log)

watermelon lizards catch bass in charleston!

simplicity is the mother of all beauty - Big John's Tavern

• 5 months later...

Just back from a trip to Charleston this week and can reliably report on the exquisite Peninsula Grill Coconut Cake .. it was all their website raved about and much more:

a masterpiece of both taste and cake architecture! :biggrin:

"A little slice of heaven..." New York Times

"...light as a cloud," Bon Appetit

Based upon his grandmother's recipe, the Ultimate Coconut Cake has been refined to frothy perfection by Peninsula Grill Executive Chef Robert Carter and Pastry Chef Esthi Steffenelli and is now available for home delivery via the Peninsula Grill website.

This was the rest of the meal I ordered and it was amazing in all respects!

GRILLED JUMBO SEA SCALLOPSwith Cheddar Grits Fritter and Truffled Corn Coulis

LOBSTER & CORN CHOWDERwith Basil Butter

SLICED MUSCOVY DUCK BREASTwith Smoked Bacon-Potato Gratin, Sauteed Spinach and a Thyme Infused Red Wine Jus

Service was impeccable and the place certainly is accomodating for whatever you wish...

Melissa,

Glad you were in our fair city !

Where else did you eat ?

As I have previously posted, P-Grille is my favorite restaurant here.

Thanks for asking, Ross! I loved everything I had to eat in Charleston and the weather was gorgeous! What a marvelous city!

Besides Peninsula Grill, we had to make the obligatory trip to Hyman's for my shrimp-and-grits, hushpuppies, and she-crab soup (it is a ritual to eat there and see Phyllis Hyman the first night of a visit! :wink: )

We also ate at Aw Shucks for lunch which I enjoyed thoroughly, and then Garibaldi, on Market Street. That was nice as well: husband had a whole flounder, scored and deep fried with apricot chutney in the slashes! Delicious!

Can't recall the name but we had lunch on Folly Beach somewhere and while it was nice, nothing remarkable.

Next visit? Sienna and either Anson or SNOB, McCardy's is a must as well ... can't wait! :biggrin: