• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for fresh moulard duck legs

ace must be spinning in his virtual grave: I've decided to try my hand at making duck confit. Am thinking of doing two batches, one for shorter-term ripening and one for longer-term. That would require eight fresh moulard (aka mulard) duck legs. In a pinch I can special-order four whole ducks but, with a tiny freezer, I wonder where the eventual duck stock and magrets would go. Can anyone point me to a local source for moulard duck legs and save me from having to call around or trying to convince Alain Loivel to sell me some of his raw materials? Thanks!

The type of duck escapes me. It would be easy to find domesticated mallards, or raise your own as my grandparents did, but I will need to come up to speed on moulards or or mulards.

Mallards aren't good for confit. Muscovy (aka barbary) ducks are OK. But moulards/mulards, a pekin and muscovy cross, are generally considered the best, both flavour and texturewise. They are also what my recipe (actually, Paula Wolfert's recipe) calls for. Don't think my landlord, let alone the municipal authorities, would look kindly on my raising ducks, though maybe I could get away with since moulards are dumb (i.e. they don't quack). In any case, the time frame is all wrong; the confit's happening this week or next.

La Girondine - remember- from a couple of weeks ago, raises Moulard Ducks. (Only!)

You can probaly order them (the legs) via their  Atwater Market outlet....

Hadn't forgot La Girondine, sf&m, though they list only whole ducks, not legs, on their website. Also, the legs would be frozen (not the end of the world but I'd prefer fresh). And there would be the inevitable delay, whereas I'd love to get started this weekend if possible. So, I'm keeping them as a fallback. Have definite plans to order a couple of their cuisses confites soon, however. Stay tuned.

Hmm, aren't you in the wrong season?

Traditionally, wouldn't you slaughter the fat ducks in the fall, and "put them up" for winter? Especially if you're after Ducks that have spent a happy summer foraging and eating tender greens etc. Season, what the ducks eat and temperature would have a great deal of influence on final outcome (?)...

Try calling Les Gibiers Canabec and ask for Marie-Jose 353-0108.They can sell you the duck legs as well as the rendered fat.They are using Palmex,which is(in my opinion) the best duck in the area.I do n not think they would have a problem selling to the public

Hmm, aren't you in the wrong season?

Traditionally, wouldn't you slaughter the fat ducks in the fall, and "put them up" for winter? Especially if you're after Ducks that have spent a happy summer foraging and eating tender greens etc. Season, what the ducks eat and temperature would have a great deal of influence on final outcome (?)...

Traditionally speaking, you're probably right. These days, however, do ducks know the seasons. And, since they're grown mainly for their foies, moulards wouldn't spend much time foraging, would they? Anyway my long-ripening batch won't be ready for months — just in time for a warming fall dinner.

Try calling Les Gibiers Canabec and ask for Marie-Jose 353-0108.They can sell you the duck legs as well as the rendered fat.They are using Palmex,which is(in my opinion) the best duck in the area.I do n not think they would have a problem selling to the public

Thanks for the lead. Palmex is the breeder, not the breed, right?

am i insane or would maison du roti not be able to sort you out.. or were you trying to avoid the sous-vide? Ask Alain for the duck fat though, as I recall he always has too much.

Far be it from me to pronounce on your sanity, skunkbunny, but the raw duck legs I last saw at Maison du Rôti were pekin. I know for a fact that's what they use for their confit, which is one of the reasons it leaves much to be desired.

Here is a good source for moulard ducks.  I didn't find the list of products but I have heard they have moulards.  They sell mostly in the Ottawa region but are not too far from Montreal.  Give them a shout.

Mariposa Farm

Thanks for the lead, Kenk. Just heard back from Mariposa Farm's Ian Walker, who confirmed that their ducks are moulards. He says they are available at the farm or from merchants at the Atwater Market. I'll get on the blower on Friday and find out which merchants. Assuming they have the goods, I'll go shopping on Saturday. Will report here on what I find.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally found a cryovaced tray of four moulard duck legs at Atwater Market's Boucherie Viau. They come from Élèvages Périgord, go for $11.98 a kilo and weigh an average 340 g apiece. No one was selling Mariposa Farm legs, which the farm's Suzanne Lavoie says is not unusual, as they don't deliver every week. Ms. Lavoie also reccomended Périgord's legs and said that you're often best asking not for moulard duck legs but cuisses de carnard gavé (legs from force-fed ducks, i.e. ducks raised for foie gras, moulards being the preferred variety).

• 7 months later...

For the record, the week before last, Anjou-Québec (1025 Laurier West, 514 272-4065) had trays of four moulard duck legs. I don't recall the price but it wasn't exhorbitant. The owner said they often stock them but not always and, when they do, they're not always displayed.