• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kosher Chinese in NYC

eatingwitheddie

Here are the kosher chinese places that I can think of in Manhattan:

Eden Wok on W. 72 btw Columbus and Amsterdam

Mr. Broadway/Me Tsu Yan 1372 B'way (37 & 38)

Esti-hana W. 79th btw Amsterdam and B'way

Gan Asia - corner of Amsterdam and 93rd

Eden Wok and Estihana serve both sushi and chinese food. The food is ok (how's that for damning w/faint praise?). Gan Asian (take-out only) serves Thai and Chinese. I'm more partial to the Thai offerings. And their dumplings were awful. I've never eated chinese at Mr. Broadway.

I'm sure there are places in Queens and Brooklyn, but I can't help you there.

What ever you do, stay away from the place in Elizabeth, NJ. It's the worst food I've ever eaten!!!

In my experience chinese isn't that big in the kosher community anymore. It's been replaced with a sushi obsession.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

What ever you do, stay away from the place in Elizabeth, NJ. It's the worst food I've ever eaten!!!

:laugh::laugh:

How bad is it? Really bad? The worst place in the world? Or just New Jersey?

:laugh:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I work in Elizabeth, NJ and live in Manhattan. What place is this? I couldnt imagine eating chinese food anywhere in this town.

My husband can't remember the name, but I assume it's on Elmora Ave near the other kosher places. Essentially, every dish tasted the same. I think they made one gloppy sauce and doused everything in it.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

Esti-hana W. 79th btw Amsterdam and B'way

I was recently having a drink at the Dublin House and someone brought an eggroll and a dumpling from this Esti-hana in from there. It was by far the greasiest , nastiest piece of food I have ever tasted. Really I wanted to go over to the restaurant and throw it back in their face it was so gross, and I didn't pay for it. They should be shut down.

• 8 months later...
In my experience chinese isn't that big in the kosher community anymore.  It's been replaced with a sushi obsession.

I agree that the Jews have discovered Sushi (and I can't go to a sushi place without running into at least one table of people that I know..) but I still think chinese food has a place in most Jewish hearts. Christmas Eve I of course, ran into about 6 tables of Jews while having dinner... but it's rare to eat in a chinese/japanese/ thai restaurant without seeing some MOT's

There was a kosher Chinese place at one time -- Bernstein on Essex was the name, I think?? -- which Mr. alacarte still mourns.

Shmolka Bernsteins? (No idea on spelling here). Was taken there a good long while ago...while on a high school trip. Assume it's no longer in business.

Shmolka Bernsteins? (No idea on spelling here).  Was taken there a good long while ago...while on a high school trip.  Assume it's no longer in business.

Schmulka Bernstein's is long gone but, take heart, there is a fascinating discussion on Jews and Chinese food at eGullet:

right here ... in it are some mentions of NYC kosher Chinese food ... enjoy! :wink:

more information:Kosher Dining Guide maybe China Glatt? :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

[
There was a kosher Chinese place at one time -- Bernstein on Essex was the name, I think?? -- which Mr. alacarte still mourns.

Shmolka Bernsteins? (No idea on spelling here). Was taken there a good long while ago...while on a high school trip. Assume it's no longer in business.

Bernstein's has been gone since the late 80s. :sad:

I set up "Schmulka Bernstein's Chinese" on the Lower Eastside as the first Chinese Kosher Restaurant. It was chefed by Cantonese Cooks who were familiar with Kosher cooking who had experience working at various Kosher Hotels in Catskill's but also had extensive experience working at NYC Cantonese Restaurants.

Every item on the menu was adopted to taste as close to the food being seved at every other Chinese Restaurant in the City. At that time there was very little menu variation except in China Town and even there were only about 1/2 dozen places plus eating clubs that catered to Chinese. The only place serving Dim Sum was the Nam Wah Tea House.

I haven't found any NYC area Kosher Chinese Restaurant nearly as good on any of my visits that served so called NYC Chinese.

Not sure of the exact year it opened but "eatingwitheddie" if I remember correct worked with Reis Brothers.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.