• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to eat in Springfield?

helenas

WineLibrary - excellent wine shop!

Doing a search of nearby restaurants on yp.yahoo brought up most of the places I immediately thought of anyway, here's a summary:

The two closest restaurants (besides the BK next door) are Scotty's Steakhouse, at 597 Morris Ave, you can't miss it, it is right on the intersection of Morris & Millburn. It is casual, moderately priced, decent fare, but definitely not a prime steakhouse. Just up Morris Ave is Emerald Russian Restaurant at #633. Although it bills itself as Russian, a lot of the menu is Italian. The best Russian dishes are served as specials. Get the specials. I'm not sure if they have a liquor license, it may be a really good choice if it is BYO right after visiting the Wine Library. I tried calling, but got the machine - (973) 467-8687.

Here are some that are a short drive up Millburn Ave:

Very, very casual (and fun) is J P Lee's, 318 Millburn Ave. Which is a mongolian BBQ place. You get ingredients from a salad bar like area and hand it to the chef to cook (you order soup and drinks from the servers, skip the soup).  They also have a chinese buffet at dinner time, but stick to the BBQ. I'm sure it is BYO.

I'm not sure if you wanted lunch or dinner, but a lot of people have been talking about Basilico at 324 Millburn Ave, which isn't open for lunch on Saturday. I called, it opens at 5, so if you are interested in going there, call, (973) 379-7020, and make your reservation now and plan on going to the Wine Library in the late afternoon. I haven't actually eaten there but I'm sure it is more formal than the others and certainly more expensive, however it is BYO.

Other ethnic options are Enhance Thai Cuisine at 321 Millburn Ave (973) 376-8424 or Sono Japanese Restaurant at 323 Millburn Ave (973) 467-2444.

Oh, one more, Sinclaire's of Millburn 279 Millburn Ave (973) 379-2232 is a terrific fish restaurant and store. Once again, check before hand to see if they are BYO and/or open for lunch.

Lillacs in Millburn on Millburn Ave is very good.  It is a

BYOB but you need reservations.  Sinclaire's is good and a BYOB.  Hillary's in Springfield on Morris Ave is a BYOB.  It is Chinese.  The food is very good.  Very casual.  The service is fair.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
There is a crepe restaurant in Millburn if you want something very casual.

Rosie, what's the info on the crepe restaurant?

I'm sorta bummed about Emerald. I kept meaning to go there, but never got to it. Any other Russian restaurants in the (general) area?

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley