• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Binghamton

docsconz

Oh, you poor man. I have never, ever heard of anything on spiedies, certainly not mushrooms and cheese. And you're right, you'd be hard pressed to find lamb spiedies around, but maybe at Sharkey's. Only ever had a Lupo's pork number, not bad, just not the original.

Wish you could have found Battaglini's Bakery in Endicott. You'd still be talking about that bread.

Hope you dive in and make your own.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

And then you will do spiedies at home, and amaze your friends. You'll get your butcher to cube the meat from a Spring leg of lamb; it will net variable poundage, but make sure the cubes are trimmed of all fat and gristle. Then make an oil and white wine vinegar marinade, adding generous amounts of salt, pepper, oregano and marjoram, finishing with a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of chopped fresh mint. Marinate the meat for at least a day.

Prepare a CHARCOAL grill, and after bunching the meat tightly on the longest metal skewers you can find, light the coals until they are white with ash. Reserve the marinade for basting. Place the skewers on the grill, allowing for a little space between each skewer, and turn frequently, basting frequently as well. Make sure meat is well browned which should actually take about 20 min per batch of skewers.

No garlic?? :shock:

And then you will do spiedies at home, and amaze your friends.  You'll get your butcher to cube the meat from a Spring leg of lamb; it will net variable poundage, but make sure the cubes are trimmed of all fat and gristle.  Then  make an oil and white wine vinegar marinade, adding generous amounts of salt, pepper, oregano and marjoram, finishing with a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of chopped fresh mint. Marinate the meat for at least a day. 

Prepare a CHARCOAL grill, and after bunching the meat tightly on the longest metal skewers you can find, light the coals until they are white with ash.  Reserve the marinade for basting.  Place the skewers on the grill, allowing for a little space between each skewer, and turn frequently, basting frequently as well.  Make sure meat is well browned which should actually take about 20 min per batch of skewers. 

No garlic?? :shock:

Nope.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

• 8 months later...

Reviving an old thread out of desperation.

I'm be in good old Binghamton for lunch on Saturday to visit relatives. A little group of us (probably 6-8 people including a seven year old and a 14 year old) will be meeting up for the first time in about a year.

But where to eat?? Seriously, if I don't provide a suggestion, we will be eating at Olive Garden or Ruby Tuesday. No spiedie places, please. We eat enough of them each summer. :wacko:

I'd say "no ethnic eats" because this is not a daring crew, however in Binghamton, I'm not sure much would qualify as "exotic" anyway.

Help?

A displaced Philadelphia foodie friend concurred that the restaurant scene in Binghamton is fairly bleak overall, but she likes the Lost Dog Cafe for good sandwiches and simple stuff. They seem like they have a hippy/crunchy vibe (there's one in Ithaca too) with live music in the evenings, etc. At least it's not a big franchise place, and has fairly creative and well-made food.

I'm reluctant to pass along recommendations from a friend of a friend of a friend, but she's heard good things abut a Thai-French place called "P.S." down the road in Vestal.

P.S. website here. The links to menus and wines weren't working when I tried it, so there's not lot's of info, but there is a phone number and directions. Looks semi-fancy and pricey.

I'm a little worried about their mission statement that begins "Our basic philosophy at P.S. is from the moment you walk in our door you are a guest in our restaurant."

Uhhh, yeah.....

But it seems like they're trying.

It's odd, I had always assumed that there were great spiedies to be had on every corner, but it seems like the only really good ones are homemade! (Just follow Rich's recipe upthread.) I had some passable ones a few years ago from a little takeout place just at the exit off 81 to go north toward Norwich, fine as a quick bite on a roadtrip, but not worth a special journey. Don't recall the name, it' wasn't THAT good.... But the best ones were made by friends' moms. So I guess the solution is to make friends fast and get invited over to someone's house.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

This all too strange...

as of yesterday around 4 pm I had never heard of a Spiedie then at 7:30 the Food Network had a show on ...protien of all things ..that featured the Spiedie festival held for 3 days each July in Binghamton NY....toooooo weird

carry on ..never been there myself :biggrin:

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I think I'm back at square one. Some of the links didn't work (including the one for the intriguingly named Jailhouse Cafe) and Papa John's...well, no. Vestal is fine, but Thai-French would not be an option for this ethnic-averse group.

Geographically speaking, where is Lost Dog (I don't know where Water Street is)? I know 81 to Riverside Drive. Can find my way to the mall. Beyond that, I'm a little clueless.

Geographically speaking, where is Lost Dog (I don't know where Water Street is)?  I know 81 to Riverside Drive.  Can find my way to the mall.  Beyond that, I'm a little clueless.

http://www.lostdogcafe.net/directions/

(careful, top map is for Ithaca)

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

• 10 months later...

Is the Vestal Steakhouse still open?

If so, is it still a good restaurant?

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)