• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

RUB (Righteous Urban Barbecue)

jhlurie

Great. Just so you all know, I've been in touch with Paul's business partner and we're looking at ways to get Paul in here to answer some questions. I'll keep you posted.

So when's this gonna happen? It sounds like it might be fun, especially given the diverse opinions around here.

Edited: to complete the thought.

Edited by ahr (log)

"To Serve Man"

-- Favorite Twilight Zone cookbook

KC eGulleteer in NYC and heading in to see Andrew shortly, so I will put in a word for getting Paul online as well. This is an extremely busy time for him (and all of us), however, as the American Royal contest begins 9/30. I wouldn't be surprised if he's unable to fulfill this request until that is over, but be patient. He has participated in "The Smoke Ring" in the past (they have a forum now...not to draw away from this but rather to throw you a bone while you await Paul's participation here):

http://www.thesmokering.com/

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

• 4 weeks later...

RUB's been doing Monday Night Football- Went last week for the Yankees' last hurrah- ate excellent brisket and pulled pork with a new tangy North Carolina style sauce. Planning on returning, FYI. Been going pretty regularly- seems like lately they've changed the wood (I was told, but I can't really tell the difference), and been adding dishes like killer chicken wings and chili cheese fries 'wit whiz' a la Pat' Philly.

Good stuff if your blood's flowing too freely.

We tried to go for the first time on Sat night around 10 pm. The place was jumping. As we walked in the door the greeter pointed out a list of items that they were out of (almost everything). This is a nice touch, it cuts down on the disappointment. We decided to head up to Dinosaur which was also hopping (we had to wait about 20 minutes) and had a great meal of fried green tomatoes, wings, ribs and a brisket rueban wqashed down with redneck mojitos and Sam Adams.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

• 3 months later...

Was reading another post and saw a link back to RUB.

We ordered some takeout from RUB about a month ago and once again I was amazed by the BBQ duck. It's just fall off the bone tendere with such a delicious flavor. I could go back to RUB time and time again just for that duck. It really is spectacular!

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

i have eaten there a bunch of times since it opened and i think this place has come along way :smile: ..the food is allways very good and the service is great. highlights are the burnt ends, all the ribs, brisket,duck and pulled pork. the beans and onion are also great...

i have eaten there a bunch of times since it opened and i think this place has come along way :smile: ..the food is allways very good and the service is great. highlights are the burnt ends, all the ribs, brisket,duck and pulled pork. the beans and onion are also great...

mmm... burnt ends... those were outstanding as well!

Gotta say that I'm not a huge fan of their pulled pork though.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

mmm... burnt ends... those were outstanding as well!

i went with 6 peolpe and we got the whole pork butt. they bring the whole butt to the table and let you pull it yourself. its awsome, especially when its steaming hot from the pit. try it you won't be disapointed :cool:

I totally disagree with you- It's amazing I think- comes out all steaming and carmelized. In fact I can not imagine better pulled pork anywhere. Unless you're talking about sauce. Or unless you're kosher.

Been enjoying their wings also!

I totally disagree with you- It's amazing I think- comes out all steaming and carmelized. In fact I can not imagine better pulled pork anywhere. Unless you're talking about sauce. Or unless you're kosher.

Been enjoying their wings also!

That's ok. I wasn't overly impressed by the pulled pork, nor was I overly impressed by the individual meats.

There used to be a place in NJ called Fink's Funky Chicken and Ribs. He made the best pulled pork I've ever had! I guess that's the standard by which I judge all other pulled pork. Unfortunately, Fink had to close his place due to illness.

What I enjoyed best about RUB:

1. Szechuan Smoked Duck

2. Burnt Ends

I also enjoyed the BBQ chicken, onion strings, baked beans, and the St. Louis Ribs.

Bare in mind that I've only eaten there 2 or 3 times. I'm absolutely down to give them (and the pulled pork) another go-round.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I went here this weekend on Sunday.. My girl and I were in the Chinatown in the morning.. On our way back we stopped for a Bahn Mi and then some BBQ.. A perfect afternoon.. :biggrin: Since we had already eaten a couple of times that day, we decided to split the Burnt Ends Dinner and get a couple of ribs on the side for 6 bucks.. We went with the Kansas City style ribs.. On the side we ordered fried onions and the greens of the day... It was a mixture of a few greens with some ham..

I must say, we were very underwhelmed with the food.. This being our first and only time, I can speak about our one experience.. The best thing on my plate was the fried onions.. These were perfectly hot, crunchy, and had a great flavor.. The BBQ, although called R.U.B, lacked a rub. I thought the ribs though juicy, were rather tasteless. I would have liked some type of seasoning on them.. The burnt ends again were juicy, but lacked any depth of flavor.. This was unlike any of the places I have tried in Kansas City.. I find Kansas City normally over sauced, but all the meat came dry.. And more upsetting, with out much of a rub either.. They do offer a K.C sauce that I happen to enjoy.. The greens were along the same lines as the BBQ.. The description said it was cooked in a vinegary sauce.. No vinegar taste to speak of.. Very bland.

I would come back because of all the praise it has received.. But I am in no hurry and would try different selections.. But definitely get the onions again..

I can't figure out the formula at RUB, I've been there a few times and either they are out of what's good or what comes out seems like it's been sitting around a bit... plus, if they're going to charge what they do, please real plates and utensils...

For my money I think Daisy Mae BBQ up on 44th is much much better...

I can't figure out the formula at RUB, I've been there a few times and either they are out of what's good or what comes out seems like it's been sitting around a bit... plus, if they're going to charge what they do, please real plates and utensils...

For my money I think Daisy Mae BBQ up on 44th is much much better...

I like RUB...but stick with cue, sausages and some of the sides...

I guess I should add one dinner with a side of 3 ribs with two tap beers came out to 45 bucks.. The place aint cheap! I ate one rib, had a few bites of the burnt ends and decided I was not going to waste a meal eating here.. I took the rest home and gave it to my doorman..

Edited by Daniel (log)

"But when it's on, it seems to me (a very NON-expert) to be the best in the City."

I agree, with the proviso that one does need to order right.

But then, my only claim to expertise is that I lived for six months in South Carolina...long enough to learn what good cue should taste like (which RUB's sometimes does)....I know nothing about ribs however.