• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

One night in Atlanta

tcizma

I will be in Atlanta this weekend for a family event. I have Friday night open and want to find a restaurant representative of Atlanta's best.

I'm not really price conscious, but I appreciate value at all levels. Wine list is crucial, as in must have a deep, varied selection and good wine service, glassware.

Welcome all suggestions and comments.

TC

cheftedcizma.com

wine is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
Ted Cizma

www.cheftedcizma.com

TC:

My first suggestion,based upon your post,would be JOEL.Great wine list,decor and of course food.Secondly,BACCHANALIA-chefs where the 2004 James Beard SE chiefs-great food ,service and they have a market attached that will allow you to carry home some of their goodies.As a bonus,around the corner-in the same WESTSIDE comlex -is COMMUNE,a great spot for a drink before or after dinner.

100% right 50% of the time.

I will be in Atlanta this weekend for a family event. I have Friday night open and want to find a restaurant representative of Atlanta's best.

I'm not really price conscious, but I appreciate value at all levels. Wine list is crucial, as in must have a deep, varied selection and good wine service, glassware.

Welcome all suggestions and comments.

TC

cheftedcizma.com

Seeger's - no ifs, ands, or buts about it

Ted, if fine food is what you're looking for, Seeger's is the place to go. Guther Seeger is one of the most gifted chefs in America and well respected by his peers both here in the U.S. and in Europe. His cooking is sublime and elegant. He has a great wine list and a very knowledgeable sommalier.

Often the best way to go is the Chef's tasting menu with the wine pairings. I'd be hard pressed to come up with a better recommendation.

Next on my list would be The Dining Room at the Ritz Carlton Buckhead, Chef Bruno Menard, or Joels (Joel Antunes).

Hope this is helpfull. All three of these should meet your requirements. Also, the order in which I've listed them would reflect my order of preference.

Jay

You are what you eat.

1. Commune just closed, so never mind dropping in there for drinks. But not really a problem (see item #2)

2. This Friday at Bacchanalia? You might want to think a little farther ahead next time.

3. Joel's would be a very good option, particularly as the wine service and selection there are great.

4. Seeger's has great food, but some of the worst service around.

5. The Dining Room at the Ritz-Carlton is great all around, and would be my pick except that I wouldn't go on a Friday.

Other options that are considered second tier in Atlanta but have great food and great wine are Woodfire Grill and Food Studio.

Can you pee in the ocean?

Have to agree with you, therese and tryska, on Woodfire Grill. Under the circumstances, time of the week he will be in town, Woodfire has great wine variety and foods but, with this caveat: Michael Tuohy, who runs Woodfire, does pretty much what Ted already does, namely northern California cuisine. On that point alone, I would go with The Dining Room at the Ritz Carleton.... or possibly Park 75?

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it has yaken me so long to report on my trip to Atlanta, I exited my motorcycle before it stopped the day we returned and have been busy getting re assembled since then.

We chose Woodfire grill and were extremely pleased.

The menu descriptions were concise and accurate, the wine list was a litle brief, but thoughtful. We drank a nice Negociant champagne to start, then an interesting Viognier from Calera, and a very nice Pinot Noir that I can't recall. Since we were only two, our server had some post shift wine.

The place looks great, service was quick and polite, not too intrusive.

We ordered many items from the "small plate" section, as well as a pizza from the wood fired oven.

Mushrooms, olives, beets and crab/lobster salad were highlights.

Economical prices were a huge bonus, too.

I would gladly return, next time with a bigger party, to be able to order a few items I passed on.

TC

Ted Cizma

www.cheftedcizma.com

More like it laid me down. Even though people tell me I'm too old for it, I still race the Vet class at our local motocross track. ( and win sometimes, too ) My kids all race, too.

Crashing sort of goes with the territory, but I don't bounce when I hit the ground like I did when I was 16.

The good news is, as an invalid, I'm getting a lot of meals cooked for me, and have a good excuse for ordering in. Catching up on reading too..

Sucks eating lefty tho..

Ted Cizma

www.cheftedcizma.com

I can imagine! well glad to know your okay. my roommate laid hers down last year about this time. sucks cuz it got totalled so she whines everytime she sees a bike now. I think her dad does Vet Class motorcross. i'll have to ask her.

Glad to hear you enjoyed Woodfire. We're pretty happy to have such a pleasant restaurant in the neighborhood.

Very sorry to hear about your unfortunate run-in with the pavement, but it does sound like you're on the mend. Let us know next time you're in the ATL and we'll hook you up with some more options.

Can you pee in the ocean?