• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Carrabba's Italian Grill

DonRocks

Reservation? Carrabba's doesn't take reservations. If they did they would not have the turnover they do and would have to raise their prices. Again, if you go back try what I have suggested above. Also, weeknights there should not be much of a wait. On Friday and Saturday call 30 minutes before leaving home to have your name put on a list. Bonefish does this also.

i'll restate what others have said...

WOW, who knew Carrabbas could evoke such passion?

My opinion is that places like Carrabbas and Romanos can put together a decent dish. Personally I'd rather support independently run restaurants, but that's just my own weird little thing. Olive Garden, though, I hate because everything seems to come out piping cold. Oh, and it's nice how these chains seem to attract all of the families, so I don't have to listen to crying babies when I go to other restaurants.

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.

Reservation? Carrabba's doesn't take reservations. If they did they would not have the turnover they do and would have to raise their prices.

Birthday party of 14 for 7:30 pm. Called in at 2:00 pm. To me, that's a reservation, but if you want to call it "call ahead seating", that's fine too. "No Problem!" was the chipper reply. Either way, the wait was excessive and uncomfortable.

BTW... the man of the house says that I'm being a brat. We did have a great time with our friends that night... that's really what's important. When my birthday rolls around we're going to DiLulo's.

To go slightly off topic for a minute -- when DonRocks originally started this thread, it was with a (since deleted) complaint about the Carrabba's Father's Day ad on the radio. I heard that ad on the way home Friday night. And I agree - that ad was awful. It even included a song-type thing that I stopped listening to about halfway through (like I react to an Eagles song). That ad should have been smothered at birth.

Rick Azzarano

razzar writes:

when DonRocks originally started this thread, it was with a (since deleted) complaint about the Carrabba's Father's Day ad on the radio.

-------------

I have no idea what Carrabba's father's day radio was like this year... i know that last year the ad had Johnny and Damian singing a Louis Prima kinda tune with Johnny's 5 year old son Johnny IV.. is that the one you're talking about?...

Please help me understand what you all consider to be good advertising... especially in the the food category... do you prefer ads that are pure entertainment, or those that are more substantial--- about the food... who does ads that you like and what is it that you like about them?Have you seen Carrabba's TV commercials? what do you think about them? I'm genuinely interested. Thanks.

alporcini -- thank you for your kind words of concern, but there's no need for you to apologise for the inexperience or lack of common sense that one server exercised. (Truly I think she had one of those "duh" moments realising what would happen as it actually did happen).

And welcome to eG. :smile:

As far as restaurant radio or tv ads -- Carabbas don't seem to air in Cleveland. But some of the Outback radio ones are funny. However was it effective advertising? I remember specific ads (good) but still have yet to visit a single Outback for a meal. :rolleyes:

Edited by beans (log)

I think it was the same ad. The main problem was that it was so annoying, especially when caught in rush hour traffic.

But, to your other questions -- No, I don't remember ever seeing a Carrabba's television ad. I'm not too sure, however, I ever like restaurant ads I see on TV or hear on the radio. Most ads, especially the locally produced ones, seem to gush over the food, like it is perfection itself. I think I really prefer print ads for restaurants. They can provide more hard info rather than merely trying to grab attention.

Rick Azzarano

I think I really prefer print ads for restaurants. They can provide more hard info rather than merely trying to grab attention.

:biggrin:

Picture spinning newspapers with the following headlines, piling up one by one (also picture a 1950s street setting, with camera flashes going off and people wearing hats ...and do all this picturing in black and white):

(Accolades)

"Carrabba's: This chain is pure gold."

Boston North Shore Sunday: 2003

"New Carrabba's Italian Grill a winner all around."

The Post-Standard: 2003

"Carrabba's worth its wait in savory Italian flavors."

Washington Post: 2001

"Carrabba's Italian Grill does not disappoint."

Detroit Free Press: 2003

"Carrabba's is worth a visit. Families and casual diners will enjoy its upbeat atmosphere and well-prepared food."

The Cleveland Plain Dealer: 2000

"Mama mia! Now that's Italian."

Tulsa WORLD: 2001

"...the ooohs and ahhs of customers as their food arrives all combine to create a sense of warmth and welcome."

The Canton Repository: 2001

"Authentically Italiano..."

Myrtle Beach Sun News: 2001

"Carrabba's Italian Grill shouts, ‘Buon Appetito!'"

Ahwatukee Foothills News: 2001

"Menu is a crowd pleaser at Carrabba's Italian Grill."

Miami Herald: 2001

"Carrabba's scores with its great service, its very good wine...and an accessible menu of updated Italian-American favorites."

Lexington Herald-Leader: 2002

"...Carrabba's Italian Grill continues the tradition of time-tested family recipes."

Tulsa WORLD: 2003

"Carrabba's is Highly Recommended."

Tulsa Broken Arrow Express: 2001

"It's a darned good restaurant..."

Gainesville Sun: 2002

"...Carrabba's Italian Grill is not your typical restaurant..."

Las Vegas Review-Journal: 2001

"...ay Carrabba's!"

The Detroit News: 2003

Well, some of the others may be good, but I still think Carrabas sucks. I am sorry you had a bad experience at Dolce Vita, but I would ratther have a bad meal there than the crap I was served at Carrabas. I feel the same about most of their other chain restos also, Outback, etc. Just my opinion though.

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

So?

Cleveland has several Carrabbas. It is a chain, after all, with the same menus (with perhaps a few differences in wine lists or an entree or two) and standard operating procedures.

:laugh: I've been whining this whole time about the Carrabba's in Canton, OH. I didn't even realize that this was a regional board. Oops. I'm a dork.

Oh well, like beans says...

• 11 years later...

This thread had been dormant for 12 years but when I did a search to see if Carrabba's had been discussed anywhere before, this came up.  My son, daughter-in-law and I went to the one here in Shawnee Mission last night.  We all liked to a lot better than any other Italian restaurant we'd been to.  Charlie had lobster ravioli and it was very good.  Cassie had scallops and steak.  The scallops were delicious but the steak was good but not really great. I had cioppino. Last time I had cioppino, it was at a restaurant at Pismo Beach in California in a booth with a huge window overlooking the ocean at sunset. I was with Joanie Sommers and while the stew was delicious, it was different from what I had last night.  They were both good but different. I don't know if one or the other was really 'authentic'. I know it originated in San Francisco, but it'is considered Italian-American dish.  The view for the former was certainly memorable. 

• Like 3