• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chanterelle

rich

If we're going to start an "ugly plate" section, there are a few more notables that belong on the list - Per Se, Cru, The Modern and L'Impero come to mind, but the food is outstanding to very good at all.

Chefs today seem to have gone the way of "big dishes" as opposed to the "tall food" of years ago. IMO, putting tiny morsels of food on large dishes looks totally ridiculous. They then compound the silliness by decorating the plate with meaningless paraphernalia - donkey dust, essense of toad, streaks of artifically colored anthracite oil, etc. If I want a Picasso viewing, I know the wall where he's hanging.

Just serve the food in simple dishes to highlight its natural color(s), texture and flavors - and please put it in a dish that doesn't cover half the table so I don't need to reach across my dining companion's lap to eat my food.

The best presenter that I've witnessed in recent years is Wylie.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

While it's not possible to tell how food tastes from how it looks, I've got to say that the platings depicted in GAF's post are embarrassing. Those presentations are on the level of what you'd expect to see at mediocre neighborhood restaurants, not places that are striving for multiple stars.

agreed

• 8 months later...

Eater has a very nice lead about Karen today.

It's too bad hardly anyone on eG likes this place anyone. I think someone on another thread said they serve "bad food" these days.

In fact it's so bad that they're sold out every night. Imagine if DW still knew how to cook. I wish I knew what he forgot.

Ate there about a month ago and I had to send every plate back - of course the plate was empty by then.

Edited by rich (log)

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

It's too bad hardly anyone on eG likes this place anyone. I think someone on another thread said they serve "bad food" these days.

In fact it's so bad that they're sold out every night. Imagine if DW still knew how to cook. I wish I knew what he forgot.

Ate there about a month ago and I had to send every plate back - of course the plate was empty by then.

Someone who?

oh right me!

Yes the food at Chanterelle is no longer worth the money, or worthy of the space or service.

It is also firmly resting on it's reputation and/or the mediocraty of it's regular clients palates (it happens all the time)

The plates look like something out of 1991 fancyville as GAF pointed out.

It used to be good. Really it was really, really exemplary. Now it's just not.

I don't think David Waltuck unlearned how to cook, that was never my sugestion, but time does funny thing to chefs and restaurants...

Here's what I want to know. Who's eating a Chanterelle? (other than Rich) why? with whose money?

There are many better options in the city. Far to many to go to Chanterelle anymore.

(I just wish the seafood sausage would be good again) :sad:

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

If we're going to start an "ugly plate" section, there are a few more notables that belong on the list - Per Se, Cru, The Modern and L'Impero come to mind, but the food is outstanding to very good at all.

per se is hardly my favorite restaurant in NYC, but take a look at shengcai's thread and tell me that the platings are even remotely comparable to those shown above:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=100542&st=0

I have to agree with Fat Guy. Those platings are just awful. And I distinctly remember the food at Chanterelle *looking* better ten years ago.

Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

Someone who?

oh right me!

Yes the food at Chanterelle is no longer worth the money, or worthy of the space or service.

It is also firmly resting on it's reputation and/or the mediocraty of it's regular clients palates (it happens all the time)

The plates look like something out of 1991 fancyville as GAF pointed out.

It used to be good. Really it was really, really exemplary. Now it's just not.

I don't think David Waltuck unlearned how to cook, that was never my sugestion, but time does funny thing to chefs and restaurants...

Here's what I want to know. Who's eating a Chanterelle? (other than Rich) why? with whose money?

There are many better options in the city. Far to many to go to Chanterelle anymore.

(I just wish the seafood sausage would be good again) :sad:

LL, you must remember, I'm 98 years old and at my age it's very difficult for me to get north of Houston Street. The Waltuck's have been taking care of my culinary needs for almost 30 years now, so I'm very loyal.

I realize the food is bad, but at this age I can only eat bad food. Therefore, in order to satisfy my needs, I only go to bad restaurants - and I spend my own money. It's better than leaving it to greedy relatives who never visit.

Rich Schulhoff

Just the explanation I needed so I can sleep at night  :biggrin:

98? perhaps I need to re-evaluate my palate!

LL, I've been loathe to comment about this, but I just recieved permission.

You are correct. Chanterelle serves "bad food," but what you may not know is they serve it on purpose. The CIA has been running a covert program on "un-cooking" for the last four years and DW of Chanterelle has been their most successful graduate to date.

The pre-requisites for enrolling are a minimun twenty years as a professional chef and ten years running a restaurant(s) that has received the highest accolades. The CIA program is designed to teach these chefs how to un-cook through a series of classes that will allow them to forget everything they know or have learned through their successful career. It's based on the brain-washing techniques used by several governments during wartime.

This new school of cooking has been dubbed "bad food" and within five years is expected to become the new "hot spot" of the culinary world, replacing the current avant garde rage, espoused by places such as WD-50 and Alinea. In fact, the current NY Times chief restaurant critic is a big fan of the "bad food" movement and it's possible he may be hired as their spokesperson in the near future.

But I digress. DW is the most successful graduate of the new CIA program to date. He has taken "bad food" to a new level and has shown other chefs the un-cooking techniques with enthusiasm. Patrons have been positive about the results as well. Chanterelle is full every evening with diners who totally enjoy the "bad food" experience of the un-cooking school.

According to the CIA director, it is hoped that within two years there will be ten or more successful "bad food" restaurants in NYC. There are plans for the program to spread into Europe and Asia. And program officials believe that Japanese sushi chefs will be the easiest to teach the un-cooking techniques since they don't really cook anyway.

In fairness, though, all this success has not come about without some setbacks. Rocco DeS was one of the first program graduates, but has never been able to open a successful "bad food" restaurant. It's possible he may try again, but as of this writing, is attempting to use his new found skills by lecturing home cooks on the "bad food" philosophy on his syndicated radio program.

All in all the CIA thinks the un-cooking school and its "bad food" mantra will be a dominant culinary force for years to come. It has hired several well-known chefs as instructors and within a few years believes everyone will want (and be willing to pay substantial money) to eat "bad food."

So next time you or anyone here goes to Chanterelle, stop by and congratulate DW on his "bad food." Tell him just how bad it is. I'm sure he'll be very happy you took the time to compliment him.

Edited by rich (log)

Rich Schulhoff

I wish I could afford to dine at Chanterelle as often as Rich. But I have been there twice in the last three years, and I think it's terrific. A review of my most recent visit is here.

I wish I could afford to dine there as often as me. I've been there four times in the last two years, but only paid for one. My mom loves the place and has taken me twice for different occasions. The other time was a business meeting (Thoroughbreds) and my sponsor is a regular (eats there an average of twice a month from what I was told). The group was looking to sell a horse and they treated.

Rich Schulhoff

Innovation aside. Chanterelle holds a place in many customers heart and has for years. Maybe more then any other restaurant in the city.

And if that's there ultimate goal, bless them for it as more should follow.

Robert R

rich, your mom must be REALLY old.

You must remmber Bryan, my mother is Italian and in those days Italian women married very, very young. My mom was only 14 when I was born, which makes her 112 years old now (longevity runs in our family).

For a woman of her age, she still thinks clearly and goes out to eat a few times a month. She's amazing.

Rich Schulhoff

Just the explanation I needed so I can sleep at night  :biggrin:

98? perhaps I need to re-evaluate my palate!

LL, I've been loathe to comment about this, but I just recieved permission.

You are correct. Chanterelle serves "bad food," but what you may not know is they serve it on purpose. The CIA has been running a covert program on "un-cooking" for the last four years and DW of Chanterelle has been their most successful graduate to date.

The pre-requisites for enrolling are a minimun twenty years as a professional chef and ten years running a restaurant(s) that has received the highest accolades. The CIA program is designed to teach these chefs how to un-cook through a series of classes that will allow them to forget everything they know or have learned through their successful career. It's based on the brain-washing techniques used by several governments during wartime.

This new school of cooking has been dubbed "bad food" and within five years is expected to become the new "hot spot" of the culinary world, replacing the current avant garde rage, espoused by places such as WD-50 and Alinea. In fact, the current NY Times chief restaurant critic is a big fan of the "bad food" movement and it's possible he may be hired as their spokesperson in the near future.

But I digress. DW is the most successful graduate of the new CIA program to date. He has taken "bad food" to a new level and has shown other chefs the un-cooking techniques with enthusiasm. Patrons have been positive about the results as well. Chanterelle is full every evening with diners who totally enjoy the "bad food" experience of the un-cooking school.

According to the CIA director, it is hoped that within two years there will be ten or more successful "bad food" restaurants in NYC. There are plans for the program to spread into Europe and Asia. And program officials believe that Japanese sushi chefs will be the easiest to teach the un-cooking techniques since they don't really cook anyway.

In fairness, though, all this success has not come about without some setbacks. Rocco DeS was one of the first program graduates, but has never been able to open a successful "bad food" restaurant. It's possible he may try again, but as of this writing, is attempting to use his new found skills by lecturing home cooks on the "bad food" philosophy on his syndicated radio program.

All in all the CIA thinks the un-cooking school and its "bad food" mantra will be a dominant culinary force for years to come. It has hired several well-known chefs as instructors and within a few years believes everyone will want (and be willing to pay substantial money) to eat "bad food."

So next time you or anyone here goes to Chanterelle, stop by and congratulate DW on his "bad food." Tell him just how bad it is. I'm sure he'll be very happy you took the time to compliment him.

AHHH the secret program...I believe I the past few year I've been among the masses privy to this new "bad food" " uncooking, non-trend...boy is it pervasive! wow the CIA can really spread it's wings when it wants to!

Not to spill the beans but I can think of a few places that also may be practicing this art. and such boldfaced chefs!

Nish, Flay, The folks at Aquagrill, Bubby's, Cafe des Artistes etc...

Well, I've never been hip. :wink:

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

Karen Waltuck on Michael Harlan Turckell's The Gatekeepers on Eater.com

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

AHHH the secret program...I believe I the past few year I've been among the masses privy to this new "bad food" " uncooking, non-trend...boy is it pervasive! wow the CIA can really spread it's wings when it wants to!

Not to spill the beans but I can think of a few places that also may be practicing this art. and such boldfaced chefs!

Nish, Flay, The folks at Aquagrill, Bubby's, Cafe des Artistes etc...

Well, I've never been hip.  :wink:

LL, I love it when you talk dirty. :laugh:

Rich Schulhoff