• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Montreal Terrasse?

biperra

Hi all,

First time on board!! so, good morning!!

I would like to know some places in montreal, i mean restaurant, with delicious food and wines to enjoy on a terrasse...please a non trendy place (St Laurent style) :wink: money is't a problem. Thank u all

Here's a list I ran in last week's Montreal gazette:

Bice, 1504 Sherbrooke W. (514) 937-6009. Lunch weekdays; dinner daily. An oasis for the sophisticated downtown crowd for a night of pampering, people watching and savouring nouvelle-Italian cuisine, Bice’s 200-seat terrace is one of the city’s most spectacular.

Vegera, 228 Bernard St. (514) 490-4222. Dinner Tues.-Sun. Fans of Greek cuisine will be pleased to discover sunny Mediterranean flavours at this unpretentious Mile End restaurant. Book one of the terrace’s 30 seats to enjoy the super fresh fish and the wonderful calamari while soaking up the summer breezes.

Rosalie, 1232 Mountain St. (514) 392-1970. Lunch weekdays; dinner daily. Rosalie’s 100-seat terrace has quickly become the downtown spot to see and be seen. Terrace reservations are essential to enjoy the restaurant’s modernized French classics – paired, perhaps, with a fabulous cocktail – under the moonlight.

La Vielle Histoire, 284 Ste.Rose Blvd. Ste. Rose Laval. (450) 625-0379. Dinner daily. A French, bring-your-own-wine restaurant with professional service and solid, sophisticated food. Be sure to call in advance for one of the terrace’s 22 places.

Savannah, 4448 St. Laurent (514) 904-0277. Lunch Mon.-Fri. Dinner Mon.- Fri. Sunday brunch. Serving Lowcountry, Creole and Cajun cuisine paired with flavour enhancers such as Stilton, Parmesan, aioli, and maple syrup, this Mile-End restaurant also boasts a 40-seat garden terrace complete with flowers and a beautiful fountain.

Chez Noeser, 236, Champlain, Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu (450) 346-0811. This warm and appealing bring-your-own-wine restaurant features a magnificent outdoor terrace surrounded by large trees lit with fairy lights. The French cuisine is offered in a set monthly menu, so be sure to call in advance for wine-pairing suggestions.

FondueMentale, 4325 St.Denis St. (514) 499-1446. Dinner daily. Fonduementale has been drawing in diners young and old up for fondue, be it in hot or cold weather. The romantic 35-seat terrace behind the restauran is ideal for those up for a little forkplay during dinner.

Le Saint-Christophe, 94 Ste.Rose Blvd., Ste.Rose, Laval. (450) 622-7963. Lunch Mon.-Fri.; dinner Mon.-Sat. Located in a renovated Edwardian house on the main street of Old Ste. Rose, this family-run restaurant offers a superb wine list and French nouvelle cuisine. Outdoor seating includes 25 seats on the balcony and around the gardens.

Le Latini, 1130 Jeanne Mance St. (514) 861-3166. Lunch Mon.- Fri.; dinner daily. Passing by Le Latini you’re sure to spot up to 80 customers dining al fresco enjoying fine Italian fare including superb risottos, pastas, meat and seafood.

Le Gourmand, 42 St-Anne St., Pointe Claire. (514) 695-9077. Lunch weekdays. Dinner daily. This West Island hot spot offers a French/Cajun menu filled with terrific grilled meats and fish presented with flair. The 75-seat summer terrace makes this one the best summer dinner destinations outside of the city. Reservations are essential.

Chez Queux, 158 St.Paul St. (514) 866-5194. Lunch and dinner daily. This good-old-days restaurant with a French retro-luxe menu boasts a 100-seat terrace overlooking the Old Port and Place Jacques-Cartier.

Leméac, 1045 Laurier Ave. W. (514) 270-0999. Lunch and dinner daily. Enjoy fairly-priced bistro cuisine and a glass of chilled rosé on this elegant 35-seat terrace in the heart of fashionable Outremont. On balmy nights after 10 p.m., dinners can opt for the two-course $20 menu.

Ritz Garden, 1228 Sherbrooke St. W. (514) 842-4212. Lunch daily; dinner Thursday to Saturday; Sunday brunch. A Montreal classic, the elegant Merchant/Ivory garden setting offers about 200 diners upscale French cuisine and pricey wines. Though the garden is in full swing, the ducks only make an appearance later in the season.

Leméac, Savannah, Bice, Rosalie (though it's a scene), Delfino. Julien's terrace used to be a winner but it's been years since I've been. Also, Aux Rites Berbères and Santropol when the budget is tight.

Edit: La Bastide, Monkland Tavern. In the very affordable category: Terasse Lafayette, La Petite Ardoise.

Edit: Oops, missed the "delicious ... wines" bit. Aux Rites Berbères and Terasse Lafayette are BYOB. AFAIK, Santropol isn't licensed, though it does whip up a mean smoothie.

Edited by carswell (log)

I had some seriously horrible food at Julien a few years back. It's crowded at lunch, and the food and service tend to be mediocre. Dinner is a better bet, yet I would still hesitate to recommend it even though the wine list is a winner.

Monkland Tavern is fun, but good luck getting a table on the terrace, they do not take reservations. As for La Petite Ardoise, the food is also pretty mediocre. I eat there often for the ambiance -- not the food -- though the sandwiches are a good bet.

As for La Petite Ardoise, the food is also pretty mediocre. I eat there often for the ambiance -- not the food -- though the sandwiches are a good bet.

LOL. Instead of "in the very affordable category" I'd originally written "when eating outside is more important than the food" but revised myself because it seemed unfair to Lafayette, which serves honest Greek food (everything made from scratch, including the bread) that's a cut above the standard Greek BYO fare.

Terrace dining can be very hazardous in Montreal.

I love La Bastide, but once when eating on their terrace I thought I heard what sounded like a woman beating the crap out of a child a few doors down. Everyone stopped eating and someone actually left to check out what was going on. Then when that stopped two guys dumped an old disgusting sofa right in front of the terrace. Not the most posh neighborhood Bernard East. :rolleyes:

Laloux also has a cute little terrace out front. Yet when eating there last summer, a die-hard clochard ran in and sat down. Next thing I know two waiters lifted him right out of his chair and heaved him out by his shirt sleeves. He then hung around the terrace peeking through the flowers all night long. Very creepy. There's also a seriously creepy guy who lurks around the terrace at Lemeac giving everyone the evil eye.

-Well, personally I really enjoy the Lemeac terasse because it is well organize and you dont feel to be on a boat deck, the little gardens are well done and give's a charming vibe to the place, add the late night spécial (20$ for 2 courses)and you find my best pick! :cool:

-I really do enjoy also the terasse of la Hacienda on van horne, great mexican authentic food... the best margarita's in town! :raz:

Best terrasse in the city RISTORANTE DA EMMA 777 de la comunne west

Emma 's food his simple and tasty all of her ingridients r fresh and top quality

you feel like in ROME .

Johnny Depp spent most of last summer on Emma's terrasse .

Angelina Jolie celebrated her birthday on the terrasse last year as well.

you should try it out .

Ps : dont forget to go in the kitchen and say hi to Emma :rolleyes:

Unless I am losing my mind, I am pretty sure I enjoyed great lamb at DaEmma’s street level (well, sunken garden style) covered terrace. :huh:

Anthony - aka "unreserved"

"Never eat at a place called 'Moms', but if the only other place in town has a sign that says 'Eats', go back to Moms."

W. C. Fields

Unless I am losing my mind, I am pretty sure I enjoyed great lamb at DaEmma’s street level (well, sunken garden style) covered terrace. :huh:

Your mind's not playing tricks on you, Anthony.

And while I haven't been in the neighbourhood since the weather turned warm, doesn't Agapes have a streetside terrace too?

Edited by carswell (log)

And while I haven't been in the neighbourhood since the weather turned warm, doesn't Agapes have a streetside terrace too?

Yes it does, just a small one, but thanks for asking. We have even added some more simple plates that might better accompany a terrace.

Anthony - aka "unreserved"

"Never eat at a place called 'Moms', but if the only other place in town has a sign that says 'Eats', go back to Moms."

W. C. Fields

Okay!!!!!

My best friend suggested me to ask my question on that site and to take my time to analyse the answers of everybody!!!!i did it and i thank u very much! La Bastide, coach on a side??? how is it possible, i read a review on them, 3stars 1/2 and they have a so bad neighboor, vegera is just cross street...! Julien, i had a lunch there, horrible!, Da Emma too expensive for pasta, so maybe the rite berberes, or rosalie, because McMillan...

Thank u everyone,

see u soon :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

Is it advised to make a reservation for 6pm weekday dinner on the terrasse at Lemeac, or is it early enough to appear and be seated without one? Thank you!

Boo -

We were there last night (Monday) for dinner at 7:30 without a reservation, and were one of three tables occupied outside. At six, I'd guess that you'd be pretty safe without one. Dinner was excellent, btw. Try the smoked herring and beet salad and definitely make someone at the table have the coconut basil sorbet.

Lauren