• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Garrett Oliver on beer and food in the New York Ti

beergirl

You have to register to read the full text but registration is free.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/16/dining/16BEER.html

Mr. Oliver's book won the award in Wine, Beer or Spirits category in the 2004 International Association of Culinary Professional's cookbook competition.

IACP website

EXCERPT

When the Right Wine Is a Beer

By MARK BITTMAN

Published: June 16, 2004

IT'S not that Garrett Oliver doesn't like wine. In fact, he knows more about it than most people, enjoys it often with food, even sings its praises. It's just that he thinks there are times when beer does a better job.

"To me," said Mr. Oliver, the brewmaster of Brooklyn Brewery, "beer and wine are both beverages meant to be served with food. And good beer, real beer, often offers things that most wine does not, like carbonation and caramelized and roasted flavors — aspects that sometimes make beer the preferable choice.

"And the most wonderful thing about beer is that it has that ability to `reset' your palate. Take cassoulet, for example: Rustic southern French reds are good, but French beer is a much better choice. Cassoulet can be like cement, but beer busts it up and makes it seem so much lighter."

CONTINUED....

Edited by beergirl (log)

"There's a whole lotta things I ain't never done, but I ain't never had too much fun" Commander Cody

Thanks for the link. I attended a seminar at the IACP conference on beer and cheese pairing given by Garret Oliver and a cheese guy (I'd have to look up his name). It was very impressive. I'm now reading his book and learning a lot about beer styles and food pairings.

Edited by JAZ (log)

Garrett Oliver has also written a short article in the latest "Barbecue Issue" of Bon Appetit magazine recommending some craft beers with your "Q".

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver