• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chamonix

rpdkpd

Any suggestions for lunch in Chamonix? I am planning a day trip from Geneva sometime next week, possibly on Saturday. I vaguely recall a small inn with an elegantly limited menu (poached river fish) on the north side of town near the ski lifts, but I can't remember the name of it. Thanks!

This may seem a bit bizarre, but just thru the Mont Blanc tunnel in Courmeyer (Italy) is a place we drive to from Megeve, Courcheval, etc to eat called La Maison de Fillipo (39.01.65.86.97.97). It's the Italian counterpart of the Ferme de Lormay, good, indeed great rustic cooking. It's the sort of place where the sausages, terrines and bread already on the table with some red wine, alone are a meal, but then you're faced with antipasti, and so many courses before you get to the pastas you're flagging. However, somehow you can make it thru the mains and desert and cheese and there's just enough room for a grappa. Our last bill was still way under $100. I'm a bit worried that they now have a website http://www.lamaison.com/ but maybe that's a sign of times not a sign of being over-touristed. We've usually eaten there at night but during the day the "other side" of Mont Blanc is perfect for hiking. It's closed in November and Tuesdays as well as June though, so depending on when you hit it - it may or may not be closed. This was taken from here.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

I LOVE Chamonix. I've had a few life-threatening and life-affirming adventures there - sometimes one in the same. Definitely on the affirming side - one of my top ten places to breathe my last breath - Le Hameau Albert 1er- on their La Ferme side. The main hotel is just over a hundred years old, but out back they took reclaimed local farm building wood and created within a modern, minimalist, and indulgent retreat - indoor/outdoor pool with a glass-enclosed fireplace, mustard-coloured Mies armchairs, and a view of the Mont-Blanc ridge - if you're into that kind of thing. Food - two restaurants - a fine, traditional gastronomic restaurant - and La Maison Carrier. To continue a theme - the latter's a modern/rustic mountain food room - where they smoke their own meats high up in a chimney - visible within the dining room. I think they're open for lunch - but I'm not sure. My lunches in Cham have usually consisted of baguette sandwiches out on some ice. God I love it there.

• 6 months later...

I will be in Chamonix again this year in early January. Poor snow conditions lead me to believe eating may become a more central activity.

Last year we had ate at La Savoyarde, a delightful restaurant in our small hotel of the same name, a fantastic meal slopeside on the Midi named La Bergerie and meal at an expensive/well-know restaurant (name escapes me) whose chef was featured on GourmetTV.

Any suggestions for other good spots? Thanks

We were there recently and had a nice hamburger and fries in the hotel just next to the train station. It was the first burger I'd had in ages - with onions lettuce, tomatoes, sauce mayo, bacon and cheese, which was a bit dissapointing (the cheese). They were alright. I suspect we would have appreciated them even more had we spent the day skiing. Not much snow at all right about now. But that could change.

Sorry I can't help you with fine dining options in Chamonix. You might check out the Megeve Thread, which is just next to Chamonix, and features Marc Veyrat's winter restaurant. When we went to Megeve for the weekend last year we could not afford a meal chez Veyrat, and sadly enough we still cannot afford to dine there, even lunch. :sad:

• 6 months later...

Any suggestions for summer eating in Chamonix? The last time I was there I was a student and camping - and didn't quite have the budget to eat out. :sad:

This time we'll be walking the Tour du Mont Blanc and then relaxing in the town for a few days afterwards at the end of July/beginning of August.

Le Hameau Albert 1er looks pretty good - we'll hopefully splash out on a nice meal to celebrate completion. Are there any other places to look out for? Thanks.

I was in the area recently and had planned lunch at "Le Panier des Quatre Saisons" in Chamonix which my sister who lives in Geneva had recommended. It turned out to be closed for lunch that day :angry: . We ended up driving across the tunnel to Courmayeur (Italy) in the beautiful valley of Aoste and spotted a little place where a whole bunch of Italian truck drivers were having lunch. A nice find called "Trattoria La Padella", here is what I ate:

gallery_23913_1344_177524.jpg

Creamy polenta with sausages, buonissimo!!!

"A chicken is just an egg's way of making another egg." Samuel Butler

I was in the area recently and had planned lunch at "Le Panier des Quatre Saisons" in Chamonix which my sister who lives in Geneva had recommended.  It turned out to be closed for lunch that day :angry: .  We ended up driving across the tunnel to Courmayeur (Italy) in the beautiful valley of Aoste and spotted a little place where a whole bunch of Italian truck drivers were having lunch.  A nice find called "Trattoria La Padella", here is what I ate:

For the info of others thinking of eating in Courmeyer, there's another place - the Maison de Filippo, which despite its absence from Gambero Rossa and Michelin and low marks in l'Express, is fabulous. For those questioning why we're posting these places in the Italian Forum; it's apparent from the license plates that most diners in Courmeyer are locals, skiiers or travellers from the French side of the tunnel.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

• 1 month later...

I was there last march and stayed at the Hameau Albert 1er. We had dinner at the Albert 1er Degustation Restaurant and it changed the way I think about food. It was my first experience with french, degustation dining and I loved every minute of every dish specially prepared to look and taste amazing. I remember it was very expensive, especially when the exchange rate was so terrible, but still worth it. The wine list and cellar were also quite impressive.

• 3 years later...

I ate at LA BERGERIE in September. Not sure that I'd give it a glowing recommendation but the atmosphere was good.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”