• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2002 Forgiarin

tbalshi

Hi everyone, I just tried the most amazing varietal wine that I recently bought in chicago. I read the back label and it says this varietal is grown on estates in western Friuli. This wine caught my attention like no other I have ever tasted.

I am by no means a wine expert, but would love to learn more. How would I pair this varietal with food? Is there something in particular this wine pairs exceptionally well with?

Are there other varietal wines that are similair in taste characteristics?

Thanks,

Tim

Have never seen a bottle of this. FWIW, in La Terra Fortunata : The Splendid Food and Wine of Friuli–Venezia Giulia, Fred Plotkin writes "A sturdy native red grape that is little known in the region and unknown elsewhere. ... It comes from the peasant tradition and matches well with foods of that type. It is wonderful with bean soup, grilled or roasted chicken and game birds, and dishes flavored with ham or pork."

Edited by carswell (log)

Forgiarin? In Chicago? That can only mean it was imported by Beverly Malen at Imports Inc. Get me the producers name and I will get you some information. It had to be the Emilio Bulfon who specializes in wines from such vines. The Bulfon Cividin (white) is spectacular.