• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Takeout

paz5559

OK, when you get home, and it is too late to think about cooking for yourself, where do you bring things in from?

My favorites are:

Cafe Nino for Pizza

Royal China for Chinese

Hillbillly for BBQ

Radosta's, Cassamento's, and R&O's for Po' Boys

Got any other suggestions? I am a regular at all of the above, but I need some new ideas

In America, there is New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans; everywhere else is Cleveland.

Mark Twain

Well, given the location of my apt. in the Quarter I would have to say that my "go to" take out place is Verti Mart. I don't ever get delivery as it is only about 15 steps from our door to theirs, but we do get take out quite a bit. I am crazy about their big, giant reubens-the brussel sprouts in cheese sauce, stuffed eggplant, spinach madeline, and they make really good po boys. They have the New York Times early, a decent selection of wine and liquor at pretty good prices, and the place is a great spot for people watching at 2 in the morning-as it is open 2 hours.

We get Pizza Kitchen to go some. Mona's is a great place for take out.

I am pretty sure that you will get some more answers on your question, as it is a good one and it is kind of hard for me to give much of an answer outside of the Quarter.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Mine are all walking distance (w/ the exception of Martin's), so this only covers Riverbend:

I get the chicken marsala at Nino's, usually pizza from Roman's Pizza.

Vietnamese (especially the chicken soup and spring rolls) from Doson's Noodle House

Hummus from Lebanon's

Gumbo or sandwiches from Foodie's on St. Charles

Anything from Martin's Wine Cellar

Nachos from GBs (I go and sit down if I want a hamburger)

Crepes from Crepes to go on Broadway. Mmm, ham and swiss.

Or just forget dinner go to Plum St. Snowballs.

What about Juan's Flying Buritto on Carrollton near Canal or on Magazine Street in the Irish Channel? The one in the Channel always reminds me of a Sandanista guerilla hide-out. I don't know why....maybe cuz it looks so...so anti-estastablishmentarianism-ish.

Can we have a New Orleans Board here on eGullet? There are issues with the TF/FT board. :angry: Don't tell TF I said that!

You gonna eat that?

Good places for takeout Uptown (I'm always looking for new ones!):

Juan's on Magazine for tacos or burritos

August Moon for Chinese

Superior Grill for queso dip or enchiladas

Reginelli's for pizza, salads or sandwiches

Italian Pie for pizza and salads

Trolly Stop for Burgers (don't laugh)

Sugar Magnolia for Salads and Burgers (no more burgers during dinner)

I'm sure there are others that I am leaving off. Anyone ever get takeout from Mona's on Magazine? I used to go to Beirut Cafe before they closed and turned into Nacho Mamma's.

Kevin

P.S. JavaJoe, the TF board is about to be switched to new software. It'll be similar to this software... really cool stuff. I know some of the guys over at NewOrleans.com, they are working on it as we speak.