• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Krispy Kreme

To my horror, as I walked down York Street in Sydney last week, I saw a queue stretching out of a small corner shop. Krispy Kreme. A queue for doughnuts?? I remember the bad-food-hurting-poor-suburbs controversy (or was it a storm in a tea cup?) when they opened their first shop in Sydney earlier this year or late last, and was surprised to see a central Sydney shop with a queue. I guess people like them. Of course, I've read of lines of people in the US, but as Krispy Kreme isn't a known brand to most Australians, it seemed odd. Have other Aussies on eG tried these? What's the verdict?

An amusing marketing ploy... the mag SuperFoodIdeas has created two "divine temptations" incorporating Krispy Kremes. If you really feel like raising an eyebrow, it's on the KK website: here

-- lamington a.k.a. Duncan Markham

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - collaborative book reviews about all things food and wine

Syrup & Tang - candid commentary and flavourful fancies

"It's healthy. It's cake. It's chocolate cake."

An amusing marketing ploy... the mag SuperFoodIdeas has created two "divine temptations" incorporating Krispy Kremes.

Some time ago, we had a thread on Krispy Kreme Variations upon a Theme: here

which had some equally interesting spinoffs, not unlike these "divine temptations" which you have just described .... :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

They don't have Krispy Kreme in Melbourne yet and I never had them when I lived in the US. I heard about the queues at the Sydney KK from some colleagues. They were speculating that the queues should die down after awhile. Will be interesting to see. I take it you haven't gone yet, lamington?

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness. – Elsa Schiaparelli, 1890-1973, Italian Designer

I'm actually in Melb., arbuclo, so it was a brief observation of the York St shop as I rushed past on business... And I didn't want to face joining a queue for something that might be an abomination.:P I'm up there again at the end of July, so maybe will steel myself and venture in.

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - collaborative book reviews about all things food and wine

I can report that the queues are definitely getting smaller. The other afternoon I went past and there was only about twenty people in the queue. I have had the Krispy Kreme donuts before in the States and from the store in outer Sydney. They are pretty good as far as donuts go but there are lots of other things I would prefer to be eating. I think a lot their appeal comes from the fact that they are nearly always hot and fresh due to the turnover.

I think the queue is a testimony to the power of marketing and not the product itself. I had some when my brother bought several boxes back from the first store in Sydney and didn't think it was anything special, too sweet for my tastes so I had to scrape off the glaze. The only cool thing about Krispy Kreme stores are the free donuts they hand out, cos I wouldn't pay for them.

"I'll just die if I don't get this recipe."

I think the queue is a testimony to the power of marketing and not the product itself... The only cool thing about Krispy Kreme stores are the free donuts they hand out, cos I wouldn't pay for them.

I was living and working in London last year when KK opened its first outlet at in the hallowed halls of Harrod's Food Hall. The queues were also huge. And no prizes, the freebies drew them in. You get a hat, some bags, and a fold out cool looking menu.

But I must say, the product is pretty good. Every time I was in the area, I Krispy'ed up, but then again, I was on expenses, so I always brought them back to the office to share. If they opened here in Melbourne, I could see myself having one or two. For what its worth, it's a superior product to Dunkin' Donuts, but no contest to the Jam Donut vendor at the Queen Vic....

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

but no contest to the Jam Donut vendor at the Queen Vic....

ah, but for those of us who love the Jam Donut van's donuts, these are completely different animals. The only thing to beat the Jam Donut van must be homemade donuts:)

• 1 month later...

I would happily go for the Mrs Jones donuts (or the Donut Van) over Krispy Kreme... yes folks! I tried them when up in SYD last week... it was warm, it was soft and fluffy, it was messy, it had a *strange chemical note*... ok, it was kind of nice, but I'm not a convert.