• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shopping for Mexican ingredients in NYC

megc

I am planning a trip to the city soon to stock up on some ingredients I need to make Mexican food. I miss being able to easily find Mexican ingredients in most groceries, as is the case in CA, so I have to go on a hunt. I'm especially interested in finding masa (including masa harina for tortillas), chiles both dried and fresh, crema and cheese, and some herbs and produce. I'd also like to catch a bite to eat while I'm there. Could anyone suggest some good markets for such things? I'm open to places in both Jackson Heights and in Manhattan, although I suspect things would be less expensive and fresher in JH because of the demand there. Thanks in advance!

I was investigating a stabbing on West 47th Street this afternoon and happened to have a snack at Tehuitzingo today (before grabbing another snack at Daisy May USA). Man, what amazing tacos! I had some spicy pork and some carnitas. The carnitas were the best I've ever had. (Not that I've had carnitas far and wide, mind you.) I love this place.

They do sell fresh Mexican ingredients at the front of the shop, but it appears to me that they sell the same crappy jalapenos, serranos and poblanos you see in most of the city. I can't count the number of times I've erupted in fury after failing to get any heat out of a huge handful of what are supposed to be serrano peppers!

When I'm cooking Mexican, I usually resort to gourmet markets where I can get habeneros, or I just buy jamaican peppers and chop one of 'em into whatever lame, timid jalepenos or serranos I'm using.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

I was investigating a stabbing on West 47th Street this afternoon . . .

:blink::blink::blink::unsure:

Sorry, I couldn't resist throwing that in there.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

They do sell fresh Mexican ingredients at the front of the shop, but it appears to me that they sell the same crappy jalapenos, serranos and poblanos you see in most of the city.  I can't count the number of times I've erupted in fury after failing to get any heat out of a huge handful of what are supposed to be serrano peppers! 

I've also had the experience of using jalepeños that just aren't very hot. Another frustrating thing for me is finding so many jalepeños with wrinkled and tougher-than-usual skins. I also don't remember them being so massive - I'm used to these chiles being a little shorter and narrower in circumference by the stem end. I wonder if the larger fruit means weaker taste? I love the taste of both serranos and jalepeños, but prefer the rounder flavor of the jalepeño.

I did do something to combat my frustrations, though - I'm growing my own! I planted a little jalepeño plant and already have one fruit. I can't wait to taste it!

Thanks to all who have made suggestions so far. I'm really looking forward to exploring!