• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Why so down on Old Town?

razzar

Olde towne used to mean the area of King Street (and adjacent) east of Washington. Today who knows what it means! When I lived in Alexandria west of Shirley Highway the folks down there refused to believe we really lived in the city.

I believe Chef Boyardee is the chef at Il Porto.

I try not to say anything nergative about another operation but you are so right Al-Dente.

I worked at Il Porto for a couple of years and always wondered what people were paying so much money for. My daughter who was five then would not eat their pasta with marinara or meat sauce.

That said the place still did tremendous volume, if they did not do 500-600 dinners on a summer weekend night, they would be dissapointed. AND they DID have a pretty strong group of regulars!

The kitchen was 100% Hispanic and it was owned by an Indian(ex chef) and an Afghan( ex Bartender), they bought it from Mr Ray who also operated the Fish Market etc.

The place attracted a wide variety of employees in transit between jobs careers etc, I enjoyed working there and wish Il Porto well.

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

re: reticence.

Just jump in and post. Not everyone on the board goes out to eat all the time, or is in touch with the local restaurant scene. I don't even live in DC anymore. Hell, I don't even live in North America anymore. :rolleyes: I just like to come read (and sometimes comment) on experiences people have back on my old home turf.

Good luck trying some new restaurants. I think the forum has shown that you don't really need (and, in fact, probably shouldn't bother) to travel to Old Town for a good dinner. You probably have some great places right near you.

As for me, I'm trying Rays the Steaks the next time I'm back in the States. :cool: It's always good to know that there are some decent options in the 'burbs, as well as the city.