• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

all hail the mighty wiener

i've been thinking about hot dogs lately. not your "plump when you cook 'em" sort of wiener, i'm talking extraordinary tube steaks in a bun. and, although it's not something i eat with regularity, i'm curious about what your favorites may be. my top three:

- Danny's Wonder Freeze, Pike Place Market. i'm a big fan of the corndog, hand dipped by danny and cooked to order. i usually get the veggie dog version, which somehow assuages my guilt about eating deep fried food on a stick.

- Shorty's Coney Island, 2nd avenue between Blanchard & Bell. the crowd here has changed since they began serving liquor last year and i much prefer the earlier version of this pinball/video game joint. can't deny the chicago style dog, though!

- Showbox Hot Dog Cart, 1st & Pike. definitely a guilty pleasure, particularly at 1:30 am. but, man oh man, who can resist the smell of grilled onions that wafts through the venue on busy nights? the all beef topped with onions on a cream cheese slathered bun is oftentimes more satisfying than the entertainment onstage at the showbox!

got any to share?

lemony

There's only one hot dog, Vienna. Sadly, it's not available at the retail level here, but you can get it at Matt's Famous Chili Dogs in Bellevue, Lynnwood, and soon to be seen at Colman Dock, Pier 52 in downtown Seattle. :laugh:

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

I really like the hot dogs at Costco. I'm sure they're not even close to the best that are out there, but the fact that I know for sure I'm not getting pork (they serve Hebrew National kosher hotdogs) is important to me.

- S

Matt's Famous is opening soon (maybe has already) in Ballard at Market and Shilshole, right on the corner across Market from the kitchen store.

I don't like hot dogs, but I know people that follow the cart that sets up at the Ballard Sunday Market. I don't remember where he goes the rest of the week, though. I think one day he has a Market St. location.

but I know people that follow the cart that sets up at the Ballard Sunday Market. I don't remember where he goes the rest of the week, though.

You are probably referring to Dante and his cart - yes, you can often find him on Market St in the mid-afternoons (right next to Radio Shack), and down by the Tractor Tavern on busy music nights after dark. He also does some catering gigs like kids baseball games, but those two spots are the most regular.

There's only one hot dog, Vienna. Sadly, it's not available at the retail level here, but you can get it at Matt's Famous Chili Dogs in Bellevue, Lynnwood, and soon to be seen at Colman Dock, Pier 52 in downtown Seattle. :laugh:

According to Shorty's web site, they also use Vienna hot dogs.

I've never had one, what makes them special?

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Along with the flavor I think it's the texture. There's something about biting into one of those that let's you know it's a Vienna dog.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

The best are at Otto's Sausage Kitchen (PDX) but that's a bit of a drive for you Seattlites, huh? :raz:

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

There's only one hot dog, Vienna. Sadly, it's not available at the retail level here, but you can get it at Matt's Famous Chili Dogs in Bellevue, Lynnwood, and soon to be seen at Colman Dock, Pier 52 in downtown Seattle.  :laugh:

According to Shorty's web site, they also use Vienna hot dogs.

Shorty's looks intriguing. They also mention having a full line of organic TV dinners. My mind boggles on that concept. Is that just a joke or are there indeed organic TV dinners at Shorty's? Anyone? :shock:

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

- Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910

shorty's does, indeed, serve organic tv dinners. i don't think anyone really orders them, they (like many bars around town) offer tv dinners to fulfill the liquor board requirement (x amount of food available when hard liquor is available). although the class h requirements have loosened over the past couple of years, washington's "blue laws" are still pretty archaic.

Diggity Dog in Wallingford has quite an array of hot dogs & sausages. The basic version is a "Diggity Dog" - a kosher all beef hot dog. They also have a nice selection of condiments ( including chili). Great stuff for a hot summer afternoon.

Robin Tyler McWaters