• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

EsaK

EsaK

Added a better picture.

My apple cider has been in its jar for about a month now, and some days ago I purchased apple vinegar from the store (not organic, didn't think it had a mother of any kind really). The cider hadn't really changed much as far as I could see, so I decided to put some of the apple vinegar in with it. Well, didn't take long until something happened.

Now I'm very unsure if what I have is good or bad. Hopefully the thing can be seen from the pictures. It's a white/opaque "disk" that floats on top. Is that what I want to see, or is it some sort of bad mold? 

20160625_1449002.jpg

20160625_1449121.jpg

20160626_1247176.jpg

EsaK

EsaK

My apple cider has been in its jar for about a month now, and some days ago I purchased apple vinegar from the store (not organic, didn't think it had a mother of any kind really). The cider hadn't really changed much as far as I could see, so I decided to put some of the apple vinegar in with it. Well, didn't take long until something happened.

Now I'm very unsure if what I have is good or bad. Hopefully the thing can be seen from the pictures. It's a white/opaque "disk" that floats on top. Is that what I want to see, or is it some sort of bad mold? 

20160625_1449002.jpg

20160625_1449121.jpg